Dieting

Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dieting

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Tis the season for dieting after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years so I want to hear your hints and tips for dieting in America.
I've started on visalis (sp) shakes which seem OK and so far this week I've been back to the gym for the first time in a few months. Hopefully I'll see some results by the time I return to the UK for my brothers wedding.
I'm also making an effort for my main meal to be healthier and in smaller portions which I hope will do the trick. Next time I head to the supermarket I'll be looking for something like quorn to take the place of meat in some dishes which can only help.

Any hints, tips and suggestions are welcome.
It depends how much weight you want to lose.

A few years ago my daughter lost a ton of weight with Jenny Craig. It's completely changed her eating habits...therefore she's managed to keep the weight off.

I lost 2 stone in a few weeks with CDiff last spring...but I would not recommend it.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I find deep fat frying and adding butter to everything makes for a better diet.

Either that or be skint.

Losing weight is shit though, as there's only so much a belt can hold up before the jeans look stupid :/
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz

Also only allowed to eat out once a month as opposed to 2-3 times a week !
If we're being serious.

I'd tone that down even further...what with many chains, having one meal and a drink being pretty much your daily calorie intake, which is a mare to recover from without a bit of a work out regime to compensate.

But it really is a simple formula of less calories in the piehole than one needs to function during the day.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Orangepants
It is going to break my heart having to throw out all those delicious mince pies I made this year. Went a bit over the top and made about 60 and OH is in the UK so come 6th Jan they all gotta go! But until the 6th - all the goodies are fair game!
Freeze them and eat them whenever you need a treat? Or send them to me!

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

Ask for sauce or dressing to be on the side
And with the salad or whatever, don't dip into the sauce, as one of those tubs is usually a meals worth of calories alone, but dip fork into the sauce before stabbing whatever you're going to stick in your piehole. You get the flavour with minimal goop and will save a load of calories.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

OP still doesn't have a car...so should be able to lose weight pretty easily as there's bugger all public transport in Augusta to get anywhere useful and you burn a shed load of extra calories walking in the sub zero temps during winter.

Though you're a hop, skip and a fart away from Lincolnvile, and the Whales Tooth pub there does the best fish and chips...

But anyway, there's also the best co-op health store in Belfast, not far away up Rt1 with the best bread and meat goods.

There's also a weird health store up some backstreet hill in Augusta, not quite a Mormon type deal, but it's certainly one of those weird outfits...anyway, really good, cheap place to get bulk food items such as rice and other grains, seeds, oils and herbs. And saying the place is on a hill doesn't really help narrow it down I realise as half the sodding town is up one weird slope or other
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
OP still doesn't have a car...so should be able to lose weight pretty easily as there's bugger all public transport in Augusta to get anywhere useful and you burn a shed load of extra calories walking in the sub zero temps during winter.

Though you're a hop, skip and a fart away from Lincolnvile, and the Whales Tooth pub there does the best fish and chips...

But anyway, there's also the best co-op health store in Belfast, not far away up Rt1 with the best bread and meat goods.

There's also a weird health store up some backstreet hill in Augusta, not quite a Mormon type deal, but it's certainly one of those weird outfits...anyway, really good, cheap place to get bulk food items such as rice and other grains, seeds, oils and herbs. And saying the place is on a hill doesn't really help narrow it down I realise as half the sodding town is up one weird slope or other
Walk? In the cold? Are you mad? The only place I intend on going for the next 3 months is the gym with the Mrs and into the garage to get firewood.

The rest sounds good though, especially the fish&chips. I'll have the wife take me for my birthday in April. I've heard there's a good place in Brunswick (I think) too.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Walk? In the cold? Are you mad? The only place I intend on going for the next 3 months is the gym with the Mrs and into the garage to get firewood.

The rest sounds good though, especially the fish&chips. I'll have the wife take me for my birthday in April. I've heard there's a good place in Brunswick (I think) too.
You big girls blouse

You'll get used to walking in the cold.... -10 doesn't feel any different to 10F...your snot freezes just as quickly

Oh and don't discount the minging Marden's you've got nearby as it's a pretty decent one for random Brit food if you catch it just right.

There's a couple of decent pubs in Camden too, which is next door to Belfast and 13 mins from the Lincolnvile pub if you don't get stuck on a road surfacing party...and there's a outlet of Stonewall Kitchen, or there was and a Monroe Salt Works ceramics place next door which are both lovely

In the summer, there's a lot of of Highland game events in and around too which are fun and a great time to get Brit food...which probably won't be to healthy and I think Augusta still does, though might not anymore, a Taste of Augusta, I know Waterville does, but it's a great way to sample all the restaurants in town for about $20...and the drinks

That should all help to undo any healthy winter living and diet
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is pain in the ass time for going to the gym because it's always packed at this time of year with people trying to exercise more in the new year. Fortunately (or sadly, depending on your viewpoint) the numbers quickly drop back down to normal.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

After putting on 40lbs in a year crisps and cookies are out and celery, carrot and apples are in ..... with humus as a dip. No real problem with meals as we eat sensibly anyways.

Week 1 day 3 ... no change :\
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

#1: Track everything that goes into your mouth, at least until you get familiar with calorie counts. I love Sparkpeople.com for the website but they also have a free app for iphone which tracks your food. It's very easy once you have your favorites list set up to just click and enter your stuff. It is amazing how many thoughtless calories creep in, you really notice when tracking. eg. adding small amounts of sauce can add huge calories. There are other similar sites such as: My Fitness Pal, Daily Plate, Calorie King.

#2: Read labels. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when shopping - check the "1 serving" size. Sometimes things say "100 calories!" and look to be "diet" versions, but when you look at the label, the box has "20 servings" and the 100 calories is for one chip.

#3: Similar to the above, weigh everything and make sure you're really eating as many servings as you think. Stuff like cereal has a "serving" of only around 30g, so the calories can add up quick if you eat a bowl full.

-----------------

For me, it requires constant vigilance; sometimes I get sick of tracking intake etc and think I'm going to eat "normally"... doesn't work out so well.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:14 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Reduce the amount and frequency of high-density carbs.

Bread (doesn't matter if white, wholemeal etc)
Rice (ditto)
Pasta (ditto)
Potatoes
Sweets, chocs, sugar drinks (inc fruit juices, smoothies etc)

Invest in the book Good Calories, Bad Calories if you want the details why (it's not a diet book, just a 500+-page summary of 100+ years of obesity research)
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:53 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I have tried diet plans and shakes and stuff and none of it works for me so I am concentrating on smaller, healthier meals, - no 'bad' snack foods in the house - replacing with fruit, popcorn, individual packets of almonds, weight watchers string cheese etc (any suggestions for other healthier snacks would be welcome).

To make meal planning easier I have come up with this plan for the weeks meals:

Meatless Monday
Tuesday Chicken
Wicked Wednesday Pasta
Thursday Souper Soup
Fishy Friday
Slow Cooker Saturday
Sinful Sunday - the only day I can bake or have dessert

Also only allowed to eat out once a month as opposed to 2-3 times a week !
Are you gonna stop cooking all that gorgeous food too? I always like seeing your inventions!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:55 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
tips for eating out....

ask for a box for it immediately and box it yourself.
Now that is a cool idea - would not have thought of that. Nice one
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:22 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Are you gonna stop cooking all that gorgeous food too? I always like seeing your inventions!
That's what Sinful Sunday is for - have just found out I can make creme brulee in my crock pot, that's next on my list. Shame neither of the boys like it, I will have to eat the lot myself haha!

Ingredients : 2 cups heavy cream, 5 egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 T good vanilla, 1/4 cup raw sugar - sounds really healthy right, think of all that calcium good for my bones...