Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Diesel or Petrol?

Diesel or Petrol?

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:45 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough
Default Diesel or Petrol?

Was wondering if most gas stations offer diesel fuel through the various states or is it sporadic?
We have had a home in FL since 2007 and back then fuel was under $3 a gallon and diesel was hard to find. We are now moving to Colorado and with the winter there being a little more harsh than Florida, I was thinking about getting a diesel Range Rover which gets about 35 mpg opposed to the US petrol engines which only offer decent mpg if you drive at 1100 rpm....personally I am big diesel fan....even out realtor had a F250 XLT thingy with a 6.7L diesel unit!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:11 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diesel or Petrol?

Around here, most gas stations have it. But the price of diesel may not please you.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of getting one of the new diesel Jeeps, but the cost of diesel in the US, plus the increase in cost for the diesel version hardly makes it worthwhile.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

In Colorado, you would probably have to make sure you could plug it in, that would be another expense.

Resale could be a problem, too.

Jim.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

This might help: http://www.dieselforum.org/diesel-at-work/fuel-locator

That being said, the US is not Europe, and I would suggest buying a gas-powered car unless you have some particular need for a diesel.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought there was more diesel out in Colorado than a lot of places.

Where I am at the moment, very few petrol stations have it and it costs a fortune. In the previous town, closer to Boston, wasn't much better, but there were Hess stations which had it.

Up in Maine, seems to find it more now, but up north wouldn't see it anywhere and where we lived in Maine, you could only get it during the summer months, mostly for potential tourists, or out on the interstate, so even more expensive than usual.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think I have been to a petrol station here that does not have diesel.

A lot of the larger trucks use it. F350's for example.

If you are looking at the Front Range then maybe once a year there will be issues with the school buses diesel freezing, but of course they get going early.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not think I have been to a petrol station here that does not have diesel.
That's what I was thinking.....
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Diesel is common at stations around here but maybe not so in more rural areas; albeit truckers and farmers tend to depend on it. The difference at the pump may fluctuate much as $0.60/gal or so higher than petrol. Right now 91 octane is hovering around $4 or so pending where you are around here. In the winter they use a different formula so gas is a bit cheaper.

A friend of mine had put a 300tdi in his '95 Defender and I don't recall he did anything special other than somesort of anti-gel/freeze. Engines have come a long way since tho. A good gear-head landy forum is discoweb.org I think they may be doing a stock diesel hybrid next year but don't know if they do a stock one now (??). Most off road nutters will find an old D1, DII, RR Classic or HSE and convert it for trail purposes etc. That alone will cost 6-8k for a swap pending on who you get it done.

Unless you are going to live in the mountains off the main drag, you really don't need a bigarse SUV out here... front wheel drive is fine; obv don't do rear drive for days when it is snowing.

Last edited by Tarkak9; Jun 2nd 2013 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't get diesel Land Rovers over here, it's all petrol only.

Pretty much the only diesel vehicles you can get are:
  • Mercedes Diesels of various ages, I think you can get some recent MLs with diesel engines Bluetec, otherwise it's regular cars only
  • VW TDI, mainly Jettas
  • 3/4 and 1 ton fullsize pickup trucks - these are the most common ones, engine wise the 12V Cummins in the older Dodges and the 7.3L Ford have the best reputation for indestructability
  • Ford Expedition and the mid-late 90s Chevy/GMC suburban and Yukon if you like chasing unicorns.
  • For a few years you could get the Jeep Liberty with a diesel engine. Not exactly people's favourite diesel, especially given that they had to "fix" the issue with it eating torque convertors by reflashing the ECU so the engine produces less torque.

With that out of the way, most of the "brand name" stations here carry diesel, it's the off-brand and cheaper ones (ARCO, Costco and the little local mom & pop ones) that often don't.

TBH if you need higher ground clearance and AWD/4x4 but don't do any serious offroading, look into the cute ute segment.

Last edited by TimNiceBut; Jun 3rd 2013 at 12:33 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I didn't think that Range Rover made a diesel engine available in the US. Land Rover, yes. But we investigated diesel RR a few months ago and couldn't come up with anything. Audi Q7 comes in a diesel version.

We have a TDI Jetta (and love the mileage it gets). I'd say here in the Bay Area around 30-40% of gas stations have diesel. The routes we drive regularly, we know the exact location of which station carries diesel, and if going on a road trip, we are just more aware of when the tank is getting empty and start searching early to fill up. Diesel is roughly 15-20% more expensive than gas.

This is California though, doesn't really help you with Colorado.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:30 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed Shell stations tend to have them in Texas - don't know about Colorado, but it would be a fair assumption. Anywhere out of the city where an 18 wheeler might stop seem to advertise diesel too.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
I didn't think that Range Rover made a diesel engine available in the US. Land Rover, yes. But we investigated diesel RR a few months ago and couldn't come up with anything. Audi Q7 comes in a diesel version.

We have a TDI Jetta (and love the mileage it gets). I'd say here in the Bay Area around 30-40% of gas stations have diesel. The routes we drive regularly, we know the exact location of which station carries diesel, and if going on a road trip, we are just more aware of when the tank is getting empty and start searching early to fill up. Diesel is roughly 15-20% more expensive than gas.

This is California though, doesn't really help you with Colorado.
There may be less diesel stations in the future since many trucks in California are being powered by natural gas (either through tax credits or state and local fleet laws)
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

We import the tdi diesels and put them in Defenders.
Customs are seizing Defenders with non original engines right now.
No problems finding diesel in Virginia.
After the 7.3 Ford had run of bad engines the new one is pretty good.