Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To Die For Chocolate

To Die For Chocolate

Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Die For Chocolate

Each year St. Bart's which is between my office building and the Waldorf on Park Avenue has a Christmas Bazaar. The vendors spill over to the street with their great gift ideas. Each evening on the walk to Grand Central there is a young man offering samples of chocolate. Being the good diabetic, I decline the sample and continue on my way.

I needed a few little gifts to take to various homes when I visit this season so yesterday I stopped and sampled a bit of his chocolate. The sign says "No Chewing Allowed ... just let it melt in your mouth". Oh man, I died and went to heaven.

It was billed as "Traditional French Truffles" from Mathez and I purchased two boxes for $22. Going to have to go back tomorrow (if they are open with the snow storm we are expecting) and get two more and then hide them from myself.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 19th 2008 at 2:26 am.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:20 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Die For Chocolate

Originally Posted by Rete
Each year St. Bart's which is between my office building and the Waldorf on Park Avenue has a Christmas Bazaar. The vendors spill over to the street with their great gift ideas. Each evening on the walk to Grand Central there is a young man offering samples of chocolate. Being the good diabetic, I decline the sample and continue on my way.

I needed a few little gifts to take to various homes when I visit this season so yesterday I stopped and sampled a bit of his chocolate. The sign says "No Chewing Allowed ... just let it melt in your mouth". Oh man, I died and went to heaven.

It was billed as "Traditional Fred Truffles" from Mathez and I purchased two boxes for $22. Going to have to go back tomorrow (if they are open with the snow storm we are expecting) and get two more and then hide them from myself.
Yum. I am not really a chocolate person but I bought some truffles from Trader Joe's (from France) and tried them last night (and tonight) and they are soooooo good. They are amazingly good. I have had truffles before in the U.S. but they were not good. That is my new thing now....whenever I travel I am going to have to sample the truffles.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:24 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

So, you're why I couldn't delete it myself....I've been trying and trying and the comp wheels just kept spinnin'.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:28 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

It was billed as "Traditional French Truffles" from Mathez and I purchased two boxes for $22. Going to have to go back tomorrow (if they are open with the snow storm we are expecting) and get two more and then hide them from myself.
I've had those. They are awesome, indeed. Tried them at the NY Chocolate Show. Out of everything I tried I liked those, Tcho, and good old Valhrona the best.

I like chocolate. A lot. It's why my teeth are all fake.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Yum. I am not really a chocolate person but I bought some truffles from Trader Joe's (from France) and tried them last night (and tonight) and they are soooooo good. They are amazingly good. I have had truffles before in the U.S. but they were not good. That is my new thing now....whenever I travel I am going to have to sample the truffles.
Oh I just saw those, and felt so virtuous for leaving them behind!
They look like the ones you can get at Costco, which I have a serious problem with.

Don't eat yourself sick on them. It CAN be done!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:31 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

OK, here's something really whacky. Been married to er' indoors for 25 years. A chocoholic if ever I seen one, for years, anything Chocolate was for the noshing on! She WAS an addict!

Anyway, about 3 months ago, she decided to go cold-turkey and hasn't touched it since. In fact she reckons now, she doesn't even want it if it's put under her nose and she says' she feels healthier... If I hadn't seen it for myself, I never would have believed it.

FWIW - she was having indigestion probs that have completely disappeared!

just thought I'd share since I have the quality street tin to myself this year and I ain't sharing that..