Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you really WANT to come to the US when you first came?

Did you really WANT to come to the US when you first came?

Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Starbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really nice
Default Did you really WANT to come to the US when you first came?

It’s funny reading all the threads from people trying to move to the US. Obviously some people really want to live and work in the US.

I’ve never been like that. Before I moved to America, I never wanted to come here. I certainly wouldn’t have come here on holiday. I didn’t even like American people (or my perception of them)

In the UK my boss pulled me into his office one day and asked if I wanted to work in America. I came over for a month’s trial; I wasn’t blown away by the place but thought it was interesting. I returned back to the UK and packed my bags got a visa (sponsored by the company I work for) and moved out here.

2-years later and I’m still here. Pretty happy with how it’s turned out but if I had to go back to the UK tomorrow, it wouldn’t bother me. Life is no better/worse here then it was in the UK just different.

So what about you?

Did you really want to come to the US when you came here?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:23 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you really WANT to come to the US when you first came?

Originally Posted by Starbucks66
It’s funny reading all the threads from people trying to move to the US. Obviously some people really want to live and work in the US.

I’ve never been like that. Before I moved to America, I never wanted to come here. I certainly wouldn’t have come here on holiday. I didn’t even like American people (or my perception of them)

In the UK my boss pulled me into his office one day and asked if I wanted to work in America. I came over for a month’s trial; I wasn’t blown away by the place but thought it was interesting. I returned back to the UK and packed my bags got a visa (sponsored by the company I work for) and moved out here.

2-years later and I’m still here. Pretty happy with how it’s turned out but if I had to go back to the UK tomorrow, it wouldn’t bother me. Life is no better/worse here then it was in the UK just different.

So what about you?

My first wife had family in NJ so I had come over here a couple of times, usually around Thanksgiving, and thoroughly enjoyed it. After our divorce I was working for a major airline and was headhunted by a company to move to LA, which I did with the 2 suitcases I was left by wife #1 and enough stuff to fill one of them. One year contract...2 wives, 3 daughters and 25 years later I am still here, albeit in a different state.

I love it in New England as it is as close to being "home" as I can be but with all the advantages of my adopted country.

My fellow Americans, God save the Queen!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:32 am
Just Joined

MikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant futureMikeyT has a brilliant future

I really wanted to come over to the US as part of my training because I thought it would be a great thing to do for my future career. I was also curious about living in another country and experiencing another culture. However, it was never because I specifically wanted to emigrate there. Nothing was driving me from the UK and I was pretty sure after my fellowship I'd go back home.

However, 7 years on, and after gaining an American wife, I think I can safely say that last part didn't quite work out...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:36 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

The first time yes, I was very young it was a fixed 3 yrs, wanted to see the world etc. Loved the US on visits and knew roughly the philosophy etc I'd be OK with. Sort of jumping up and down with glee couldn't believe our luck attitude.

The 2nd time yes but it was more with a considered attitude a happy one but not as giddy (we didn't have a job offer back in the UK so glad to have one in the US) but we loved it here so was glad to come out again though knowing it was indefinite amount of time, and moved here though I had never visited this part of the US.

If I hadn't really wanted to come we wouldn't have come, its hard enough to move away from your own country without the added difficulty of not really being happy about it before you even move.
If you are not happy even before you move here I think your chances are greatly lowered in eventually settling and being happy here IMO.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:29 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I had no interest at all in moving here but when I married an american I knew it would kill her to leave her family behind so I left mine instead. I now have a much more interesting job than I did last year, I actually own a house, 2 cars and will soon have a son. None of which I could have afforded if my wife had moved to the UK so it was for the best.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby was offered a transfer with his company for 2 years, so we thought why not, it's not for ever. We had been to the USA before on business trips to NY & MN (not vacations). We rented out our house in the UK and came to New England. He was then offered the job to be a permanent move here. No real regrets after 11 years except we can't afford to go back to UK to see family and friends as often as we would like. Money & vacation time shortages and all that.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course I did - I cant imagine why someone would voluntarily move to another country unless they actually wanted to ...

Last edited by md95065; Jun 27th 2008 at 3:02 am.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes or else I wouldn't of agreed to it.. But a move like this is never ever what you will think it will be.. no matter how much you think you have thought it through... i'm talking mostly from the point of view as having a family rather than just worrying about myself....

I don't regret it.. i'm having a great experiance, most of the time... and given hindsight... i'd do it again...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:08 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

We had no previous desire to move here. Great opportunity fell into our laps - L1A visa with all expenses paid - which seemed like to good an offer to pass up. Took the view that if we didnt like it we would come home at the end of it. Safe to say we are loving it 8-9 months in and are desparatly trying to get the firm to sort a green card as if we had to go back home we would be very unhappy. I love England and have no issue with it - we just have a better quality of life here. We have more space (at home and generally the whole area), more time as a family, and even have the opportunity to expand our family now if we want to (could never have afforded to do that back home and the house we were living would have been very very squashed!).
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, of course I did - I cant imagine why someone would voluntarily move to another country unless they actually wanted to ...
There are various reasons - if we move to the US then it will be mainly for hubby's career, along with just going for the experience. We are both very happy in the UK, have a good life, and are close to our families. We see none of the problems that others talk about (i.e. antisocial behaviour, violence, bad education - our village school is excellent and only has around 30 pupils! -etc) so have no need to 'escape'.

But moving abroad for a few years (we do not expect to stay forever and will simply rent our house out here) would be invaluable for hubby's career prospects and literally double his potential salary. So it's well worth it from that point of view. And we don't ever want to think 'what if' and wouldn't let an opportunity like that pass us by.

We may end up in the US or Canada and personally I would much prefer Canada. I've been to several places in the US and it's not somewhere I feel a great pull to in all honesty.

But we'll see! In answer to the OP's original question, if we end up in the US, it won't be because we wanted to, but I'm sure we'll have fun anyway.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

So what about you?

Nope, just came here on holiday to see my then fiance, we ended up getting married while I was here, then we applied for AOS and I didn't go back. Will do soon though, fingers crossed!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:04 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

It’s funny reading all the threads from people trying to move to the US. Obviously some people really want to live and work in the US..........you really want to come to the US when you came here?
Came over because I was sick of England and it wasn't getting any better there.
I thought America was really interesting, but reality set in within a year.
Kept trying tho with college, jobs and other ways to make a life here.
Ended up staying and now have Wife, loony kids, mortgage, demented cat and really gripping commute.

I'd go back tomorrow, but its best for the young'ns to grow up here and pick their country/s later, as they will be able to.

We are making plans now to retire half the year back home and (hopefully) have the best of both worlds in our golden years.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:22 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I had no desire to move here, wasnt interested in coming here for holidays or anything, didnt see that there was that much teribbly wrong with the UK...

However hubby on the other hand had been here before, loved it, wanted to work here blah blah....so he applied and got the job....we had many screaming arguments before i agreed (and had to plan the wedding!)

Ive no regrets but I would go home tomorrow if I could
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to move, but mainly because I just wanted to move anywhere. I'm 25 and have never really done any long term travelling or lived anywhere different so when the chance came up I took it. I like New York, I dont think it's anywhere near as interesting or dynamic as London but its a nice change to live somewhere new. I dont think I'll stay here forever, I just cant imagine raising kids in a country without free healthcare and I want them to be in Europe so they can appreciate the world around them more. Also, I'm fine at the moment as I get 20 days vacation (my company is pretty good like that), but I simply wouldnt be willing to work for a company that only allowed 10-15 days vacation, and i gather thats the standard in the US. Other than that I'm glad I moved and I can certainly imagine staying for a couple of years.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee

I'd go back tomorrow, but its best for the young'ns to grow up here and pick their country/s later, as they will be able to.

We are making plans now to retire half the year back home and (hopefully) have the best of both worlds in our golden years.
The man's said it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.