Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you pay...?

Did you pay...?

Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:12 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Did you pay...?

I still say "I have to spend a penny!"

The fair at Southsea had a coin thingy on the door and I remember my nan giving me a penny.

How about "Wee" -- Do you still say that?
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you pay...?

Originally posted by BrigieDarling

The fair at Southsea had a coin thingy on the door and I remember my nan giving me a penny.

LOL - never did say wee! It just kills me when I hear people in work say "I gotta go potty" - even after all this time I still have to suppress the laughter!

Between that and fanny bags. I'm sorry but that should just NOT be allowed!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

My two year old still announces that she has to 'wee' in a 250 decibel bellow - usually in pin-drop silent waiting rooms, libraries and other public places....it makes the locals stare but I'm not sure they understand...
Old Jun 16th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

We just used to piss over Clarence Pier.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 10:47 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
We just used to piss over Clarence Pier.
I tried that and i fell off!

Me swimming. ~~~~~~~>
Attached Images  
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:17 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I still say wee very occasionally, different meaning though, as in a "wee cup of tea".

I say pee quite often for the other meaning, very uncouth of me, I've never paid attention as to whether or not it confused anyone.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:28 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

I still go to the loo or the bog.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:17 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I still say wee very occasionally, different meaning though, as in a "wee cup of tea".

Ha ha ha,

your 'wee cup of tea' comment has been taken quite literally here:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/ubb/Fo...ML/019892.html

(Actually it's such a riveting read I'm going to post it in 'The Lounge'....)
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:23 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

My wife uses the phrase, "gotta go potty."

Trouble is, I've started to bloody use it now :scared:

Phrases I have used in the past:

1) Go wee wee (ickle boy)

2) Bleed the lizard (teens)

3) Shake the snake (teens/20s)

4) Visit the little boys room (when I became a father)

5) Going to the toilet/bathroom (present day)
Old Jun 17th 2004, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I sat potty break... all the time.

I'm sad.. I know
Old Jun 17th 2004, 8:51 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's at the stage now where I am totally confused. I have no idea which words I used to use back home and which I picked up here. I guess it's a case of fitting in so you don't look like an idiot. Took me ages to stop using "hiya" ...that was a real conversation stopper for some reason. Another thing I’ve found is that Americans have very few slang words compared to us. Many a time I’ve been talking about something and had to stop to think about the equivalent phrase in yank tongue to stop myself looking dumb. A good example, there is (as far as I know) nothing similar to "can't be bothered" in the American language…so you can either say "well I'm not going to mow the lawn today because I really don't want to" or "I can't face it" both of which sound stupid. “Taking the piss� the ONLY equivelint?? “TEASING� someone! WTF?
Wow I went off a bit there…you get the idea.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by rincewind
My wife uses the phrase, "gotta go potty."

Trouble is, I've started to bloody use it now :scared:

Phrases I have used in the past:

1) Go wee wee (ickle boy)

2) Bleed the lizard (teens)

3) Shake the snake (teens/20s)

4) Visit the little boys room (when I became a father)

5) Going to the toilet/bathroom (present day)

And by the time you reach 60 it will be..Damn too late

Not that I am quite that old yet !
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:27 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm 60 it will be "going to change my Depends"

Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I tried that and i fell off!

Me swimming. ~~~~~~~>
was it you that we hit that time then ?
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:31 pm
Brit'n'TX

I go for a "Gypsy's"

(Gypsy's Kiss)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.