Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you make it in the USA !!

Did you make it in the USA !!

Old May 7th 2003, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Originally posted by dmb_182
Being born and living in the US for my whole life, I've never thought about how hard it can actually be to move here. My parents have been in england for 2 years now, my step dad is in the airforce. They live in a little village and not on the air force base, which is extrememly nice. My best memories of the past 2 years have been visiting them over there and taking in all there is that makes the UK so lovely. I guess I don't really have a specific question but I wish everyone the best of luck in whatever they're trying to achieve. One question i'm curious about; what draws you to the US?? Also, if anyone looks like me, i'll gladly switch you lives and go live in england and you can come here
Hiya DMB
I have no "desire" to live in the United States but I fell in love with an American and its more financially viable for us to live there, at least temporarily. Saying that, I have no "desire" to live in the UK either and I was born here!!!
Old May 7th 2003, 8:01 am
Just Joined

dmb_182 is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, so either place works? is it really more expensive to live in the UK as opposed to US? I'm going to be attending a school in London starting next fall and I guess I have noticed that prices seem higher over there, guess I'll just have to meet a nice british girl to marry and come back here
Old May 7th 2003, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Originally posted by dmb_182
haha, so either place works? is it really more expensive to live in the UK as opposed to US? I'm going to be attending a school in London starting next fall and I guess I have noticed that prices seem higher over there, guess I'll just have to meet a nice british girl to marry and come back here
I think you may find that things are generally more expensive over here but my Hubby and I decided that overall things pretty much balance themselves out.
What people pay for houses and to rent properties in Nashville absolutely astounds me.
Over here, as I am sure you know, we pay lots more for petrol and consumer goods.Though hubby gets really excited when he visits as he can get delicious fresh bread really cheap and good quality fresh vegetables.
Then i suppose it all depends on what part of the country you are from......things can vary here up North from the South just as much as they can from TN especially when it comes to houses.
Sorry I am waffling here
I cant really think of any more examples (need coffee...lol) but my hubby has been here ten times over the last 3 years and sometimes for 6 weeks at a time and we did conclude that wherever you may live (UK/US)what's expensive over here can be cheaper over there and vice versa.
Old May 27th 2003, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did you make it in the USA !!

Hi Mark + Debbie

We moved over to the states about 8 years ago. At the time it was a posting for 2 years with a British Bank, as a IT project manager. I left England with debts upto my armpits. Now some time later I am a managing director of a very large European bank. We own outright 3 houses. my kids who were 4 and 7 when we left have done very well. In fact my son has become a national level swimmer. Although we had only ever planned to stay for 2 years, we loved it here and still do. In fact my wife recently became a citizen. There are some negatives (some of the locals, TV and the lack of good football) but they are outweighed by the good stuff

Hhmaker
Originally posted by mark19964
Well,
after reading some of the sad stories in the US from my fellow countryman, and I must admit theres enough to put any prospective emigrant off such as my beloved , Im begining to feel the AUSSIES ARE RIGHT ABOUT US WHINGING POMS !!

Id like if possible for you EX-PATS out there to comment on your success in the US, and how your lives have improved since leaving the UK behind.

So come on lets hear it for uncle sams land.

Cheers - Mark and debbie
Old May 28th 2003, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by northspoon
Hiya DMB
I have no "desire" to live in the United States but I fell in love with an American and its more financially viable for us to live there, at least temporarily. Saying that, I have no "desire" to live in the UK either and I was born here!!!

So, where do you "desire" to live then?
Old May 28th 2003, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jabba1
So, where do you "desire" to live then?
I desire to live in the same place that the people I care about live.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:22 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: living the dream

Originally posted by Pulaski
I think that the state pension from the UK is frozen at the point that you draw it or when you emigrate (whichever is later) to the US, Canada, Australia, or the US. I know that they tried to change it a couple of years ago, but I am sure that British pensioners in those countries still get no increase - ever!

Not only that, I wouldn't be at all sure that there is a general state pension for British citizens in 20 years time - it is already close to worthless, and succesive governments have diminished its value further and further.

UPDATE : JUST GOT ALL THE INFO ON UK PENSIONS PAYABLE STATESIDE.

GOOD NEWS YOUR UK PENSION DOES NOT FREEZE WHILST RESIDENT IN THE US, ALSO IF YOU HAVE NOT PAID ENOUGH N.I. YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS THE US SYSTEM AND WHEN YOU,VE PAID ENOUGH OVER THERE THEY WILL FURNISH YOU WITH A PENSION.

THE SAME ALSO APPLIES TO USC LIVING IN THE UK.
BOTH COUNTRIES HAVE A REPROCRIAL AGREEMENT ON PENSIONS AND BOTH SYTEMS CAN CONTRIBUTE TO EITHER PENSION SCHEME WETHER US BASED OR UK.

THERE, HOPE THATS CLEARED THAT UP.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:29 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did you make it in the USA !!

Originally posted by hhmaker
Hi Mark + Debbie

We moved over to the states about 8 years ago. At the time it was a posting for 2 years with a British Bank, as a IT project manager. I left England with debts upto my armpits. Now some time later I am a managing director of a very large European bank. We own outright 3 houses. my kids who were 4 and 7 when we left have done very well. In fact my son has become a national level swimmer. Although we had only ever planned to stay for 2 years, we loved it here and still do. In fact my wife recently became a citizen. There are some negatives (some of the locals, TV and the lack of good football) but they are outweighed by the good stuff

Hhmaker
Thanx for all the positive replies, Ive recently started to plough through. It makes me beam with pride when i read about all you guys and girls, out there living the dream and showing the doubting thomases back in Blighty that as a people we can achieve.

Hopefully when the house is sold ( PLEASE GOD ), I'll likewise be on here in a couple of years telling everyone here we wished we done it 10 years earlier.

This Budweiser is for you all.

Mark and Debbie.
Old May 31st 2003, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya DMB
There's no pleasing some people!
Old May 31st 2003, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an adjustment period of about 1 year before I came to terms with the differences in the US. Because something is different it does not mean it is worse, having said that some things are better in the UK some in the US.
Overall the US has so many more good things. The food is plentiful and the value at eat all you can resturants is amazing. Just look around you at the fat people and I wont believe the food is no good at least taste wise.
If you are getting paid minimum wage then it must suck but if you make a good wage you can have a good living.
My life has improved in all ways and I love living in the USA.
Those who complain have failed in their attempt to make a life in the USA and rather than blame themselves they blame the country.

Sad eh

Steve
Old May 31st 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a way you could visit and then enroll in some courses here?

http://travel.state.gov/foreign_stud...s_handout.html

Originally posted by paulf
Thanks Kazz, I think I will apply soon.
I am about to start a course in Air-conditioning and refridgeration which I hope will be more acceptable for Florida.
I want to move to Sarasota too, I have been to Englewood and loved it there so I will look at buisness's for sale there.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I arrived here relatively recently, from the UK. I got my EAD in November and my social security number in December. I found work the day my SSN arrived by going to a agency and getting put in a warehouse transporting boxes from A to B for 12 hours a day - nice!!

After a week or so of this I saw an ad in the paper for a Marketing Manager for a Cable Company. Having served in the British Army (Royal Signals) I knew a bit about the technology involved and I had also worked in recruiting so I had some marketing experience.

I got the job. I have been there 6 months now, I love it. I get a good salary, good benefits, company SUV etc. I plan to buy a house soon for myself, my wife and her 2 kids, I am overjoyed!!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 7:15 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Everytime my American husband visits me and leaves, he fills his suitcase with mint sauce, bisto gravy granules, yorkshire tea bags and a few cans of stella if he can fit them in!!!!!!
My American fiancee developed a taste for salad cream when she was over here.