Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you make it in the USA !!

Did you make it in the USA !!

Old Apr 18th 2003, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Well I am waiting to emigrate to the US this year but I dont think it will be me that misses the British things that aren't available in the UK!!!!
Everytime my American husband visits me and leaves, he fills his suitcase with mint sauce, bisto gravy granules, yorkshire tea bags and a few cans of stella if he can fit them in!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2003, 6:08 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Did you make it in the USA !!

Originally posted by Wildfox
I have lived in the USA since 89. First Chicago and now San Francisco. The one thing that really gets on my nerves are expats that complain about the States, how there are no Fish and Chip shops or there is no Marks and Spencers
Just out of curiosity, which store over there occupies M&S's hallowed position as the place to go if you want party nibbles?
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
Just out of curiosity, which store over there occupies M&S's hallowed position as the place to go if you want party nibbles?
It depends where you live. There is no such thing as a national chain of supermarkets - Walmart is probably as close as you'll get.

Otherwise shops are regional. We lived in New York for a while, then Virginia, and now North Carolina. The there are non of the supermarkets that we had in New York in Virginia or North Carolina, though Viirginia and North Carolina share many of them (but not all). There are however a couple of department stores that have branches in all three states.
Old Apr 20th 2003, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Wildfox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nxylas
When I am having a party and want special nibbles, I go to a store called whole Foods, they are popping up all over the states, Ca, Ill, Texas and New York to name but a few. They sell upscale foods, 20 different kinds of olives, a huge cheese dep. ready prepared foods, salads, a bakery, a fish dept, a sushi department, you name it they have got it. They also have in california a chain of stores called Trader Joe's, they also have gourmet style things. There are a load of stores like that here in California.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dante is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grateful For Thread

Thanks to everyone who has replied positively on this thread. I'm fully expecting to be moving to SoCal in the summer and for several months got quite depressed by all the negative comments on this and other websites regarding the expat experience. I finally just decided to stop reading them and listen to all the dozens of friends I have in LA telling me not to worry. It's good to return here and find that their positive advice is finally being mirrored on the forums. Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Dante

Don't let other people influence how you think it is going to be. There will always be people who moan it's too hot, it's too cold, the food isn't like home, the tv is crap. The best thing to do is to not associate with people who try and drag you down. Always try and keep in mind what you hoped to achieve by the move and remind yourself of the positive things in your life. We are in San Diego and are having a great time.

Someone else mentioned about Trader Joe's. Yes, they are a good store. If you are looking for cheese/pate they are cheaper than the supermarkets. Whole Foods can be a bit expensive but they do tend to have a lot of the more exotic things. Actually WF would probably have the best range and quality for fruit and veg.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

bosman is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Originally posted by markwplatt
Yes I made it too, and I didnt bring in any orange squash (see other threads) I live in the deep south (Louisiana) where it seems a British accent will get you 20 IQ points extra. Every day I am around new people, i get the same comments, "love your accent" and then they want to chat. Cant believe that my Leyton, cockney accent is so popular!
If you are employed by a large organization health care is no more expensive than in the UK (I pay $350 a month for a family of 5) and the GP level care here is very good, the US system has lost the victorian attitude to the patient still inherent in the british hospital system. I have been here 15 years and never thought about returning to live in the in the UK. So give it a try and PLEASE remember that you cannot replicate a British lifestyle (juice duvets curry and Yorkshire pudding) here any more than you can live in a huge american house with all the "mod cons" and a pool in teh back yard for $160K in the UK!
Yes, we also have made it out here. We have been here for over 5 years; we have a big house, Pool, Boat, Jet Ski and three cars.
I agree about the IQ points, I think of people I knew in the UK (Leicester) and they seem to be much more worldly, harder working and take less for granted. That’s not to say there are not some exceptions here.
I love the fact that I live here and come from England, I have a Union Jack on my Land Rover and love to meet fellow Brits. Paying $2 for a gallon of Petrol takes a lot of beating!
I do miss Walkers Crisps, Boddingtons Beer, real pork sausage British TV and Cadbury Chocolate. I also miss the straight talk, which comes so naturally to most Brits.
One of my family sent me a copy of Phoenix Nights on DVD for Christmas, watched it last night, Fantastic!
Most of the UK stuff is available locally, pricey but less expensive than flying back to get it. We have some American Friends, who are very nice. But they are not like the UK ones we have.
I say make the most of where you are, enjoy the good things that are local, but never forget where you came from!
Old May 1st 2003, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Itchy Feet
You're so lucky to have the option to not only visit Florida as much as you'd like, but to be able to move there to live! I'd love to live there.

Fingers crossed, maybe one day you can welcome me to the States?! Thanks

Itchy Feet, have you thought about going through Canada ? I don't want to feel like I'm pointing out the obvious, but my parents did this. They did a home exchange with a family in Canada for a year. The Canadian family liked the place in England so much, they offered to buy the house, which they did. I will (hopefully) be a citizen next month after nearly 20 years of living in the US.

I'm not sure why its different coming in from Canada, but I suppose it is. Americans probably have more of a clue about Canada than they do about England. The walls have gone up since 9/11, but people still have to be able to immigrate. Try to go through an immigration friendly state. http://www.aila.org/contentViewer.as...17,171&pf=true
Old May 1st 2003, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

brisray is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only been here 18 months but like living in America.

My wife works for a college, so while I'm waiting for the INS to finish doing whatever they do, I'm at college for free.

Their education system seems to be easier (open book, computer multiple choice, "cheat" sheets and take home exams) than the UK's but then again it's been a long time, 25 years, since I was at school so probably don't know much about the UKs education system now anyway. Brits and other European's also seem to have a very much broader education.

Apart from family, friends and the fantastic job I had there is nothing much I miss about the UK, even the craving for proper fish and chips went after a short while. Even if they don't know what Bovril (yuk) or hobnobs (yummy) are you can't say that you're not spoilt for choice here. For example, when you walk into "all you can eat" place here they mean it, they just don't mean an extra helping of limp lettuce from the salad cart.

All I can say is that Americans may speak English, after a fashion, but it's not England, unless you're absolutely addicted to Heinz Baked Beans or just got to wear M & S clothes, don't waste your time and money chasing around trying to find them, just
try something new.

Ray
Old May 1st 2003, 1:07 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default It's not easy being green

Originally posted by bosman
Paying $2 for a gallon of Petrol takes a lot of beating!
Well, that depends on your attitudes. As someone who tries to live a reasonably "green" lifestyle, I worry that I may be forced to compromise my principles when I move over there. How true is the stereotype of the wastefulness of the American lifestyle? And more importantly, how easy is it to opt out of that lifestyle, eg. by buying low-energy electrical goods? The impression I get is that this simply isn't a priority for most Americans.
Old May 3rd 2003, 12:20 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Aww, I feel like applying now too, but there is no demand for a gas fitter in the states it seems.
Great site by the way, very intresting reading about the success stories.
Old May 3rd 2003, 12:58 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Paulf

Come on Paul, step out of the box! What other qualities do you have besides being a gas fitter? Do you long to work for yourself? Could you invest in a business already set up? If you really want to achieve your dream - believe in yourself and make it happen!!!!

Good Luck :-)
Old May 4th 2003, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not easy being green

Originally posted by radleydp
.... most states require your vehicle to pass emissions inspections every year or two. .....
I don't think so!

It wasn't the case when I lived in New York, nor in Virginia when I lived there, nor now in North Carolina either, yet*. In fact I think that it may only be the case in California, as new cars have a special "emissions pack" added to the exhaust system when sold in California that isn't required in other states.

* There is a new law in NC - from July 1st 2003, cars that are three or more years old have to have an emissions test as part of their annual inspection

Last edited by Pulaski; May 4th 2003 at 4:07 am.
Old May 4th 2003, 9:19 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Kazz, I think I will apply soon.
I am about to start a course in Air-conditioning and refridgeration which I hope will be more acceptable for Florida.
I want to move to Sarasota too, I have been to Englewood and loved it there so I will look at buisness's for sale there.
Old May 7th 2003, 4:50 am
Just Joined

dmb_182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being born and living in the US for my whole life, I've never thought about how hard it can actually be to move here. My parents have been in england for 2 years now, my step dad is in the airforce. They live in a little village and not on the air force base, which is extrememly nice. My best memories of the past 2 years have been visiting them over there and taking in all there is that makes the UK so lovely. I guess I don't really have a specific question but I wish everyone the best of luck in whatever they're trying to achieve. One question i'm curious about; what draws you to the US?? Also, if anyone looks like me, i'll gladly switch you lives and go live in england and you can come here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.