Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you know? (Some light reading!)

Did you know? (Some light reading!)

Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:45 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you know? (Some light reading!)

This is possibly a load of lies, but it makes for interesting reading!;

In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat
his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the
rule of thumb"

Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled
"Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered
into the English language.

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV were Fred
and Wilma Flintstone.

The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work:
Alaska

The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $6,400

The average number of people airborne over the US any given hour:

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.

The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in
the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in
the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If
the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural
causes.

Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what
A. Their birthplace

Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until
you would find the letter "A"?
A. One thousand

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a
month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law
with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their
calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month which
we know today as the honeymoon.

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old
England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them
"Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down."

It's where we ! get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the
rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they
used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase
inspired by this practice.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:39 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Did you know? (Some light reading!)

Originally Posted by CarlM
It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a
month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law
with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their
calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month which
we know today as the honeymoon.
Mead is wine, not beer but, still it appears to be the origin of the term 'honeymoon'.

Interesting stuff all the same - always wondered about minding your Ps & Qs...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:42 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until
you would find the letter "A"?
A. One thousand
There's me thinking it would be One hundred and One.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:44 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Golf one is in the category of "origin unknown", but it's a nice story.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:49 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

and....did you know if you add up all the numbers on a roulette wheel they come to 666
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:52 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
and....did you know if you add up all the numbers on a roulette wheel they come to 666
Is that an american or european roulette wheel ??
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:54 am
Not here much

Yes, and the same is true if you add up all the numbers in a pack of cards
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:59 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Mead is wine, not beer but, still it appears to be the origin of the term 'honeymoon'.

Interesting stuff all the same - always wondered about minding your Ps & Qs...
i thought that it is thought of as wine now, but it was drank like ale then....i haven't found anything on that page to contradict that so far (but i have to admit i didn't look too hard, because I'm assuming i'm right )
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:01 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cutina
i thought that it is thought of as wine now, but it was drank like ale then....i haven't found anything on that page to contradict that so far (but i have to admit i didn't look too hard, because I'm assuming i'm right )
Have you ever tried mead?

If anyone manages to chug down a few pints of that stuff like ale then they must have no sense of taste - it's sickly sweet!!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:02 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Is that an american or european roulette wheel ??

i believe they both do... the main difference between the european and american roulette wheel is the zeros i think also the chips are coloured in the usa and same colour in europe... i know that bits right
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:06 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

i believe they both do... the main difference between the european and american roulette wheel is the zeros i think also the chips are coloured in the usa and same colour in europe... i know that bits right
Gotcha - the extra zero (or double zero) is the big difference. Just wanted to keep you on your toes
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:07 am
Thinking about it

If anyone manages to chug down a few pints of that stuff like ale then they must have no sense of taste - it's sickly sweet!!
Didn't monks drink flagons of it, you know, friar tuck and other historical caricatures.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:12 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

yes, i've tried modern mead, it's not made the same now as it was then...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:15 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in
the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in
the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If
the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural
causes.
And if both rear legs are up, the person died in a freak rodeo accident.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:23 am
Former Blonde

Originally Posted by cutina
yes, i've tried modern mead, it's not made the same now as it was then...
You know this from personal experience?

Mind you - last time I had some it was over here, probably contained high fructose corn syrup...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.