Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you know/ air travel

Wikiposts

Did you know/ air travel

Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:09 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Did you know/ air travel

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
. I've never flown with Air Canada, are they any good?
Hope you get a certain Quebecois captain! He glided a fully loaded Canadian Airliner for hundreds of miles, and landed it safely in the Azores with no injuries as far as I can recall, when all engines stopped due to a leak in the fuel line or something ....(watched a documentary on Dateline or 20/20 or something a few years ago...absolutely brilliant pilot!)..
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:42 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Hope you get a certain Quebecois captain! He glided a fully loaded Canadian Airliner for hundreds of miles, and landed it safely in the Azores with no injuries as far as I can recall, when all engines stopped due to a leak in the fuel line or something ....(watched a documentary on Dateline or 20/20 or something a few years ago...absolutely brilliant pilot!)..
Hopefully you don't get his plane!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:53 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We've been buying a seat for our little one since she was 10 months old and bringing her carseat onboard as well. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Liam was 9 months old the first time we did the Detroit-Heathrow flight, and judging by that ecperience you won't regret paying the extra so the baby has her own seat.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:33 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Buying Paint Airline Style

First, a summary of how ordinary hardware stores sell their paint...

Customer: Hi. How much is your paint?

Clerk: We have regular quality paint for $18 a gallon and premium paint for $25. How many gallons would you like?

Customer: Five gallons of regular paint please.

Clerk: Great. That will be $90 plus tax.

Now, imagine you are buying paint from British Airways, United, Northwest, American, Delta, or ANY other full-fare airline in the world.

First you spend days trying to reach them by phone to ask if they have paint. Nobody answers. So you drive to their store, and the conversation goes something like this...

Clerk: Well, sir, that depends on quite a lot of things.

Customer: Can you give me a guess? Is there an average price?

Clerk: Our lowest price is $12 a gallon, and we have 60 different prices up to $200 a gallon.

Customer: What's the difference in the paint?

Clerk: Oh, there isn't any difference; it's all the same paint.

Customer: Well, then I'd like some of that $12 paint.

Clerk: When do you intend to use the paint?

Customer: I want to paint tomorrow. It's my day off.

Clerk: Sir, the paint for tomorrow is the $200 paint.

Customer: When would I have to paint to get the $12 paint?

Clerk: You would have to start very late at night in about 3 weeks. But you will have to agree to start painting before Friday of that week and continue painting until at least Sunday.

Customer: You've got to be kidding!

Clerk: I'll check and see if we have any paint available.

Customer: You have shelves FULL of paint! I can see it!

Clerk: But it doesn't mean that we have paint available. We sell only a certain number of gallons on any given weekend. Oh, and by the way, the price per gallon just went to $16. We don't have any more $12 paint.

Customer: The price went up as we were talking?

Clerk: Yes, sir. We change the prices and rules hundreds of times a day, and since you haven't actually walked out of the store with your paint yet, we just decided to change. I suggest you purchase your paint as soon as possible. How many gallons do you want?

Customer: Well, maybe five gallons. Make that six, so I'll have enough.

Clerk: Oh no, sir, you can't do that. If you buy paint and don't use it, there are penalties and possible confiscation of the paint you already have.

Customer: WHAT?

Clerk: We can sell enough paint to do your kitchen, bathroom, hall and north bedroom, but if you stop painting before you do the bedroom, you will lose your remaining gallons of paint.

Customer: What does it matter whether I use all the paint? I already paid you for it!

Clerk: We make plans based upon the idea that all our paint is used, every drop. If you don't, it causes us all sorts of problems.

Customer: This is crazy!! I suppose something terrible happens if I don't keep painting until after Saturday night!

Clerk: Oh yes! Every gallon you bought automatically becomes the $200 paint.

Customer: But what are all these "Paint on sale from $10 a gallon" signs?

Clerk: Well, that's for our budget paint. It only comes in half-gallons.

One $5 half-gallon will do half a room. The second half-gallon to complete the room is $20. None of the cans have labels, some are empty and there are no refunds, even on the empty cans.

Customer: To hell with this! I'll buy what I need somewhere else!

Clerk: I don't think so, sir. You may be able to buy paint for your bathroom and bedrooms and your kitchen and dining room from someone else, but you won't be able to paint your connecting hall and stairway from anyone but us. And I should point out sir, that if you paint in only one direction, it will be $300 a gallon.

Customer: I thought your most expensive paint was $200!

Clerk: That's if you paint around the room to the point at which you started. A hallway is different.

Customer: And if I buy $200 paint for the hall, but only paint in one direction, you'll confiscate the remaining paint?

Clerk: No, we'll charge you an extra use fee plus the difference On your next gallon of paint. But I believe you're getting it now, sir.

Customer: You're insane!

Clerk: Thanks for painting with us ... next person in the line, please.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Booked our tickets in Feb for visit to UK in May. The cost was $1822 for the two of us. Checked todays price and it was $1201 for the two of us. A call to USAir resulted in a refund credit total of $624 to be used within 12 months. Some of you may be aware of this and some may not. I do not know if it applies to other airlines although Cindybabs might know. Happy flying.
Good luck! My hubby, daughter and I flew US Airways down to orlando and back in Dec... we got caught up in that whole luggage-delayed flight thing. US Airways is by far the worst airline I have ever flown with (and I have flown with a lot of different ones). I will NEVER fly with them again.

Ash
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Liam was 9 months old the first time we did the Detroit-Heathrow flight, and judging by that ecperience you won't regret paying the extra so the baby has her own seat.
We have flown with my daughter (now 15 months) 4 times since she was born, the last 3 times she has had her own seat... it is without a doubt the best way to do it... apart from having the extra room it is a LOT safer too. The US airlines are a lot more easy going about the car seats tho.

Anyone looking for decently priced fares try www.bt-store.com I have used them on my last 2 trips and saved quite a bit compared to orbitz/expedia etc.

Ash
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:42 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've flown with BA every time, and they're really good when it comes to helping with babies, right down to checking that the carseat is positioned properly. The only disadvantage to taking a carseat on board, is having to carry it around the airport, especially at Heathrow at 6 in the morning after an 8 hour flight, where it seems sometimes that you have to walk for miles before you even get to immigration.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Buying Paint Airline Style

First, a summary of how ordinary hardware stores sell their paint...

Clerk: We have regular quality paint for $18 a gallon and premium paint for $25. How many gallons would you like?

Customer: Five gallons of regular paint please.

Clerk: Great. That will be $90 plus tax.

Now, imagine you are buying paint from British Airways, United, Northwest, American, Delta, or ANY other full-fare airline in the world.

First you spend days trying to reach them by phone to ask if they have paint. Nobody answers. So you drive to their store, and the conversation goes something like this...

Clerk: Well, sir, that depends on quite a lot of things.

Customer: Can you give me a guess? Is there an average price?

Clerk: Our lowest price is $12 a gallon, and we have 60 different prices up to $200 a gallon.

Customer: What's the difference in the paint?

Clerk: Oh, there isn't any difference; it's all the same paint.

Customer: Well, then I'd like some of that $12 paint.

Clerk: When do you intend to use the paint?

Customer: I want to paint tomorrow. It's my day off.

Clerk: Sir, the paint for tomorrow is the $200 paint.

Customer: When would I have to paint to get the $12 paint?

Clerk: You would have to start very late at night in about 3 weeks. But you will have to agree to start painting before Friday of that week and continue painting until at least Sunday.

Customer: You've got to be kidding!

Clerk: I'll check and see if we have any paint available.

Customer: You have shelves FULL of paint! I can see it!

Clerk: But it doesn't mean that we have paint available. We sell only a certain number of gallons on any given weekend. Oh, and by the way, the price per gallon just went to $16. We don't have any more $12 paint.

Customer: The price went up as we were talking?

Clerk: Yes, sir. We change the prices and rules hundreds of times a day, and since you haven't actually walked out of the store with your paint yet, we just decided to change. I suggest you purchase your paint as soon as possible. How many gallons do you want?

Customer: Well, maybe five gallons. Make that six, so I'll have enough.

Clerk: Oh no, sir, you can't do that. If you buy paint and don't use it, there are penalties and possible confiscation of the paint you already have.

Customer: WHAT?

Clerk: We can sell enough paint to do your kitchen, bathroom, hall and north bedroom, but if you stop painting before you do the bedroom, you will lose your remaining gallons of paint.

Customer: What does it matter whether I use all the paint? I already paid you for it!

Clerk: We make plans based upon the idea that all our paint is used, every drop. If you don't, it causes us all sorts of problems.

Customer: This is crazy!! I suppose something terrible happens if I don't keep painting until after Saturday night!

Clerk: Oh yes! Every gallon you bought automatically becomes the $200 paint.

Customer: But what are all these "Paint on sale from $10 a gallon" signs?

Clerk: Well, that's for our budget paint. It only comes in half-gallons.

One $5 half-gallon will do half a room. The second half-gallon to complete the room is $20. None of the cans have labels, some are empty and there are no refunds, even on the empty cans.

Customer: To hell with this! I'll buy what I need somewhere else!

Clerk: I don't think so, sir. You may be able to buy paint for your bathroom and bedrooms and your kitchen and dining room from someone else, but you won't be able to paint your connecting hall and stairway from anyone but us. And I should point out sir, that if you paint in only one direction, it will be $300 a gallon.

Customer: I thought your most expensive paint was $200!

Clerk: That's if you paint around the room to the point at which you started. A hallway is different.

Customer: And if I buy $200 paint for the hall, but only paint in one direction, you'll confiscate the remaining paint?

Clerk: No, we'll charge you an extra use fee plus the difference On your next gallon of paint. But I believe you're getting it now, sir.

Customer: You're insane!

Clerk: Thanks for painting with us ... next person in the line, please.

LOL That's about true. I just found airfare that a week ago was going to cost about $1400 and yesterday (leaving on almost the same day) the going price was $900! Figures.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
We just got back from the UK and only paid $229.00 ROUND TRIP from Boston to Heathrow! That was a DEAL! I really pissed a guy off on the plane. I overheard him talking about the great deal he got his tickets for. He paid $750.00 each...........Imagine his face when I casually said to Garry.....
"wow honey, we certainly got a great deal at $229.00 each ticket even though we have to sit waaaaaaaaaaay back here! he was right next to us in the aisle! We almost wet our pants laughing so hard!
that is very cheap! i also fly out of boston so please please give up your secret!!

Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm looking at going back in October; Air Canada is cheapest, via Montreal for $664, AA is next at $725

i've been looking too.. seems if you wait until 1st november to leave all the non-stop fares go down to about $450 r/t

the cheapeast i found for beginnning november sofar is .. drum roll.....

Air Canada at $383 or so.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:36 am
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

We flew Air Canada about 5 years ago...haven't flown with them since. The plane creaked all the way across the ocean, the movie was 'National Lampoon Vacation', the food was absolute rubbish, and the flight attendants were clearly not happy to be there! At least they were getting paid!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

flew AA last november from BOS - LHR. day flight. brand new 777, quiet, smooth, made it 6 hrs flat. all that good was spoiled by rude and surly flight attendents, crummy food and no free booze...
it was like they were doing us a favour to serve cold pizza..

BA or Virgin next time...
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by silvermine
crummy food and no free booze....
I thought free booze was a thing of the past (unlike the crummy food ).

Also, I agree with the comments about US Air, never has an airline lost so much of our luggage and/or had such delayed flights that we have missed our connection

UKintheUSA - well done for getting a refund when the price of your tickets went down, I must try that next time! We're currently trying to get flights to the UK end of August, I agree, prices are way high right now.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:07 am
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Lizzi]Also, I agree with the comments about US Air, never has an airline lost so much of our luggage and/or had such delayed flights that we have missed our connection [QUOTE]

Huh, we've flown US Air twice and BOTH times our luggage didn't arrive when we did! They really do have a problem...

Flew on BA when we immigrated back to the USA - free booze, nice food, decent entertainment - until we hopped planes in Philly to US Air...
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:17 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
... apart from having the extra room it is a LOT safer too.

Ash
Especially seeing as how there are usually no survivors in airline crashes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.