Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you know/ air travel

Did you know/ air travel

Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Did you know/ air travel

Originally Posted by Lizzi
I thought free booze was a thing of the past (unlike the crummy food ).

Also, I agree with the comments about US Air, never has an airline lost so much of our luggage and/or had such delayed flights that we have missed our connection

UKintheUSA - well done for getting a refund when the price of your tickets went down, I must try that next time! We're currently trying to get flights to the UK end of August, I agree, prices are way high right now.
BA has free booze in coach and if somehow (Lord please let it be me!!!) you get upgraded to business class they have very nice wines and food.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
BA has free booze in coach and if somehow (Lord please let it be me!!!) you get upgraded to business class they have very nice wines and food.
tell me about it
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Especially seeing as how there are usually no survivors in airline crashes.
well... I was once on a plane that had to make an emergancy stop and everyone on the plane was thrown forward... luckly it was at takeoff so every one had their seat belts on. The very first time I flew with my daughter (without her own seat) united told us we could not use a belly belt (belt extention) with her... she would not have stood a chance.

Another time we hit turbulance... it was bad enough to tip a trolley and have the air hostess fall into a passengers lap.

I guess it is all a matter of priority...My daughter means the world to me... I want her to be a safe as possible... even if we may not survive a crash.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
well... I was once on a plane that had to make an emergancy stop and everyone on the plane was thrown forward... luckly it was at takeoff so every one had their seat belts on. The very first time I flew with my daughter (without her own seat) united told us we could not use a belly belt (belt extention) with her... she would not have stood a chance.
That's the difference between a US carriar and a UK one...UK and most other countries require kids to be strapped down especially on take off and landing, but US one's don't...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Came across this the other day. Seems weird but kosher -- could well appeal to ex-hippy/flower-power sorts. Ain't half cheap across the Atlantic, but the catch is you don't know where you're landing. Definitely not a plug!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the difference between a US carriar and a UK one...UK and most other countries require kids to be strapped down especially on take off and landing, but US one's don't...
Yeap... it is not only a matter of requirment the United would not let us use a belt at all... we asked if we could put her in her car seat and hold her on our lap that way... they would not allow that either. It is safer to have a baby flung around the cabin but not a car seat...go figure.

On the other side of it US airlines will allow rear facing car seats for under one year olds (in both the US & UK they are seen as being the safest for infants in car travel) however the civil aviation authority that govern the UK airlines say it is safer for children under one to travel on your lap verses a being in a rear facing car seat strapped down to a seat. Last year BMI refused to let my daughter travel in her own seat because we did not have the correct car seat and we ended up having to claim a refund. Seems rather ignorant to me, but whatever.

Ash
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Yeap... it is not only a matter of requirment the United would not let us use a belt at all... we asked if we could put her in her car seat and hold her on our lap that way... they would not allow that either. It is safer to have a baby flung around the cabin but not a car seat...go figure.
They must like flying projectiles...why kill one person in turbalance when you can kill at least two...very weird..
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:48 pm
Sahuaro

[QUOTE=UKintheUSA]We just got back from the UK and only paid $229.00 ROUND TRIP from Boston to Heathrow!QUOTE]

Check out bmi - they were offering $300-odd return Vegas/LHR in their competition with BA

Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:37 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Booked our tickets in Feb for visit to UK in May. The cost was $1822 for the two of us. Checked todays price and it was $1201 for the two of us. A call to USAir resulted in a refund credit total of $624 to be used within 12 months. Some of you may be aware of this and some may not. I do not know if it applies to other airlines although Cindybabs might know. Happy flying.

I do believe that they all participate in a rebate however I think that some airlines may charge you now for processing it. Glad you got a credit on that-the original cost sounds more like the cost of a ticket in high season NOT the shoulder season May is.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:32 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by strim
You had better check the small print, they may have you flying the plane

Yeah - you know you're in for a dodgy flight when the pilot sticks his head out of the cabin and asks "Where to Guv'nor?"