Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you emigrate before your house was sold?

Did you emigrate before your house was sold?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:44 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you emigrate before your house was sold?

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Hahaha! You just want me over there to go on the p!ss dontcha!

We have friends in Mesa so next time I'm out that way I'll give you a shout hun

Thats really scary - haven't met, yet you know me so well.

Look forward to it.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

As you know I finally got my visa last week, but I still haven't sold my house.
You're a scouser right?

does the council know your trying to sell their house?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:22 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
You're a scouser right?

does the council know your trying to sell their house?
lol you're a cheeky sod, you know this right?!!

Manc be nice to me, you won't like me when I'm angry!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:48 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

We did, but the buyer did then pull out

We paid the mortgage until it sold, but we were lucky in that the dollar tanked during that time against the pound, so we made pretty much good on the conversion rate in the end, and didn't lose out too much.

I can honestly say the whole thing was one of the worst experiences of my life....hope you are luckier than me!!!

---------

As you know I finally got my visa last week, but I still haven't sold my house.

Been talking to the hubby this weekend and he wants me there as soon as poss, and suggested that if I received an offer soon then I should move over to AZ and see the rest of the sale through from over there.

Anyone already done this? Any thoughts?

Cheers ~ Andie
Old Nov 20th 2006, 10:43 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Like others I sold my home when here solicitor and estate agent did everything. that end went smoothly.

We knew we weren't going over there for the final move etc so shut off and drained the central heating, as didn't want any pipes to burst. this I would so not recommend to anyone as the house ended up being cold and took nearly a year to sell because of this
also make sure your agent takes a final reading of your electrics etc and keep it, as the people that bought house put in false readings etc and British gas still wants 120 pounds from us - gave us a bill over a year after new people moved in(even though 1 week before house was moved into they went round and gave us 35 pounds back as we had overpaid!)
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Like others I sold my home when here solicitor and estate agent did everything. that end went smoothly.

We knew we weren't going over there for the final move etc so shut off and drained the central heating, as didn't want any pipes to burst. this I would so not recommend to anyone as the house ended up being cold and took nearly a year to sell because of this
also make sure your agent takes a final reading of your electrics etc and keep it, as the people that bought house put in false readings etc and British gas still wants 120 pounds from us - gave us a bill over a year after new people moved in(even though 1 week before house was moved into they went round and gave us 35 pounds back as we had overpaid!)
Not sure about leaving the heating on. In 1995 we spent Christmas in Florida...we returned home after New Year to find the house flooded. A pipe had burst in the loft...even though we had left the heating on. All the ceilings had to be replaced, the whole house had to be redecorated and new carpets fitted.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:16 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not sure about leaving the heating on. In 1995 we spent Christmas in Florida...we returned home after New Year to find the house flooded. A pipe had burst in the loft...even though we had left the heating on. All the ceilings had to be replaced, the whole house had to be redecorated and new carpets fitted.
oouch, I suppose there is a plus and minus with every decision!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So no problems with that then? ......
I did exactly what you are contemplating, and I too was a first time seller.

It all ended well, even if I was strung along by a lousy estate agent, who claimed to be handling first one, and then another offers that didn't work out.

I got a bit frantic, and in the end fired the first agent, and placed it with another who I had previously approached (I invited pitches from three agents before first putting the house on the market).

That I was able to phone the first agent and tell him had lost my business, and tell another to walk across the street and pick up the keys made me feel organized an in control.

Otherwise, I arranged a power of attorney with my solicitor who signed the contract on my behalf, and wired the funds directly into my (British) bank account.

Overall, it wasn't a problem, the delayed sale increased the profit on the sale by 14½% (12% if you deduct the extra mortgage payments I had to make) and the $/£ exchange rate moved 6% in my favor too!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 24th 2006 at 3:30 am.