Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did you come through POE in early November and have you got your SSN yet?

Did you come through POE in early November and have you got your SSN yet?

Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

dzial67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did you come through POE in early November and have you got your SSN yet?

I came through the POE on 5th November having ticked the box on the DS230 - pt II to get my SSN.

Six weeks have passed and no SSN yet. Went to the local office and they said best to wait - that was after 4 weeks.

Did you come through the POE early November and have you got your SSN yet?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you come through POE in early November and have you got your SSN yet?

Originally Posted by dzial67 View Post
Went to the local office and they said best to wait - that was after 4 weeks.
They lie! Go back and verify whether or not you're in the SAVE system. If the counter person looks at you funny, ask to speak to a supervisor. If you're in the system, they should have a SS# for you. If not, complete a new SS-5 application and submit it. Bring your passport and visa.

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you come through POE in early November and have you got your SSN yet?

I agree, they are wrong.

If they do not find an "EAE" application for you, complete SS-5 and make them accept it now.
You should be able to go back after 4 days to get the number in person, and the card should arrive w/in a couple of weeks.

SSA's own instructions say that if you have not received your automagic SS card 3 weeks after arrival, you need to follow up.

PS: this is ONLY valid for Immigrant Visa holders.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

dzial67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took your advice and went into the SS office on the 17th Dec. A very nice lady took my details and advised that there was no record of my application via the DS230 and that she would process my SS5 straightaway. Which she did and then said if I wanted, I could come back tomorrrow to get verbal notification of my SSN, the card would arrive in the post within two weeks.

I couldn't go in the next day or soon after because I was sick - certain irony there - but the card arrived in the post yesterday, the 28th Dec. Considering the Christmas Holiday etc, it arrived within 5 working days! No complaints about that level of service whatsoever!

So if my case is typical, don't tick the box on the DS230, get into your local SS office as soon as you have an address in the USA, and get your SSN verbally within 24 hours or in the post within 5 to 10 days. Much less hassle and you need a SSN ASAP, believe me!

Thanks for all the help.

PS - I have an Immigrant Visa (Green Card).
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dzial67 View Post
So if my case is typical, don't tick the box on the DS230, get into your local SS office as soon as you have an address in the USA, and get your SSN verbally within 24 hours or in the post within 5 to 10 days. Much less hassle and you need a SSN ASAP, believe me!
I'm glad you got your number and card sorted out!

However, I disagree with your advice to others.
First, your case is not typical. Even if it were typical that EAE does not work (which it does for the vast majority of people), you did not account for the time lapse from your entry, which allowed your immigration status details to be entered into the SAVE database.

If someone goes to the office and applies immediately after entry, they can be stuck in a worse cycle of status confirmation and it can actually take longer.