Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did we miss something?

Did we miss something?

Old May 4th 2016, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did we miss something?

Is her name the same on each document - exactly the same?

I had an issue in GA with a renewal where I had a GA license, I went to renew but my drivers lic, and my green card did not match exactly. I think one had a middle name or initial and one didn't. It took a week to verify my docs, and issue me a new license.
Old May 4th 2016, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Did your wife take all the documents/info required as per the DMV website? If so...try a different office. We have had people in the past who have had trouble...they have tried a different office and hey presto!
Yeah, try a different office and...maybe she's taking too much info with her. When dealing with the bureaucracy sometimes it's better to show as little info as possible. Keep it simple.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Yeah, try a different office and...maybe she's taking too much info with her. When dealing with the bureaucracy sometimes it's better to show as little info as possible. Keep it simple.
+1
a great piece of advice...
when I moved to France I was given the advice of how to deal with bureaucrats. This person explained that "as a Brit" it was my nature to be really helpful and to offer up all the information/documentation just in case it might be useful. However, the better way to proceed was to keep quiet, to not answer a question until it was asked, to not offer documentation until it was asked for. It really worked at least in France where the bureaucrats did really seem to take great delight in asking for stuff they didn't think you would have. After so many years in France, I am traumatised by it all!! I still take every bit of paper that might be needed (in a bag) and triple check everything......
Old May 4th 2016, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it has something to do with the recently legislation change where they combined voter registration and driver registration. It's great having an unelected Governor.

I forgot to ask , was anyone wearing a hat?

http://abc7chicago.com/news/oregon-m...-hat-/1243425/
Old May 4th 2016, 5:15 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

If it doesn't take you three trips to at least two different DMV offices you haven't really 'experienced' the DMV
Old May 4th 2016, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I passed my extremely difficult driving test in Dec 2015

After visits to the DMV in Inglewood, Montebello (x2) and Santa Monica (x2) I finally found someone with a brain cell, my licence arrived yesterday.

As with the Visa process, patience is your friend here!
Old May 9th 2016, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for my license I was met with 'the computer says no'. The 'system' was requesting additional clearance from DHS (Homeland Security).

I had all of the correct documents, as they checked them from the list that they needed to see. Just told to go home and wait for the letter that would take 14 days for the additional screening to take place. No other explanation given as to why the screening was required.

Once I received the letter, I returned to the DMV and the license was processed.

I also had the same clearance delay for my wife and daughters.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
We both have our SSN's as she doesn't need an EAD to get one as it's an L2. Either way, she put her SSN number on the application initially and wasn't asked for it again.

I wasn't asked for any of this when I got mine (2 weeks ago). I accept I'm the primary holder (L1A) but I was never asked for anything else after my initial application.
MrsMe is here on an L2 and had no problem getting a driving license (after taking the test). She didn't have the EAD at that time, but we did both have SSNs. We're in MA.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I just found out that I can renew my Oregon driver license 14 months before it expires, Is there any advantage in doing this apart from the fact that the cost may increase next year?
I have less than a year to go, maybe it would be a good idea to start now so I can get all the required documents.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
...Is there any advantage in doing this apart from the fact that the cost may increase next year?.
Suppose it depends if they add it on to the license or date the expiration from when you renew it, so losing a year.
Old May 9th 2016, 9:46 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
You learn something new every day - I always believed you had to have EAD for an SSN from a dependents' visa!

In that case, I'd definitely go back and hopefully speak to someone more versed in these things
nope - spouse on an L2 can get an ssn without an ead - but the kids on an l2 cant get one.
Old May 10th 2016, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I passed my extremely difficult driving test in Dec 2015

After visits to the DMV in Inglewood, Montebello (x2) and Santa Monica (x2) I finally found someone with a brain cell, my licence arrived yesterday.

As with the Visa process, patience is your friend here!
Wow I must have gotten lucky!
I did my 'extremely difficult test' around October and I got my license a week later.
Old May 10th 2016, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain. As an L2 in NJ I have to take my L1 hubby with me. They also always ask for 3 other things that aren't listed on the state requirement page. First licenses took 12 weeks and at least 6 trips (including back to the airport) renewals have taken at least 2 trips each.... We now go to a small county DMV when they open and fingers crossed the improvement we have seen continues
Old May 10th 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
I feel your pain. As an L2 in NJ I have to take my L1 hubby with me. They also always ask for 3 other things that aren't listed on the state requirement page. First licenses took 12 weeks and at least 6 trips (including back to the airport) renewals have taken at least 2 trips each.... We now go to a small county DMV when they open and fingers crossed the improvement we have seen continues
That was and is my recommendation. I had similar in a busy urban office so decided to go to a more (relatively speaking) relaxed environment in a nice suburb and the license was processed efficiently.
Old May 10th 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Suppose it depends if they add it on to the license or date the expiration from when you renew it, so losing a year.
It runs 8 years from my birth date, so it appears that I may as well apply now.