Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did we miss something?

Did we miss something?

Old May 3rd 2016, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Did we miss something?

My wife is here as an L2 and recently passed her driving test. Off she went to the DMV today armed with her passport and documents and was told that she couldn't get her license as they were unable to verify her status. She even showed them the I94.

They told her to call a number at the end of the week to see if the DMV have had anything back?

Back from who? She had her passport with stamps and a copy of the Visa, she showed them the latest I-94? what else is there?

Now she (me included) are all confused and frustrated. Is this just a case of the person in the DMV going WTF? Is there any problems with her going back in, say tomorrow, and trying again?
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did we miss something?

What state are you in?
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Oregon
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:24 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

If her I-94 doesn't have the employment authorisation stamp, it should be accepted as proof that she's not currently eligible for a SSN. Is she applying for EAD? I'm just wondering whether the temporary license will last until she has EAD and can get a SSN? Might be less hassle than fighting with the local DMV bureaucrats!
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

We both have our SSN's as she doesn't need an EAD to get one as it's an L2. Either way, she put her SSN number on the application initially and wasn't asked for it again.

I wasn't asked for any of this when I got mine (2 weeks ago). I accept I'm the primary holder (L1A) but I was never asked for anything else after my initial application.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
We both have our SSN's as she doesn't need an EAD to get one as it's an L2. Either way, she put her SSN number on the application initially and wasn't asked for it again.

I wasn't asked for any of this when I got mine (2 weeks ago). I accept I'm the primary holder (L1A) but I was never asked for anything else after my initial application.
Did your wife take all the documents/info required as per the DMV website? If so...try a different office. We have had people in the past who have had trouble...they have tried a different office and hey presto!
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I think that's the best option. She had the kids with her as well which I'm sure helped.

I just wanted to make sure we didn't miss something obvious.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:08 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

You learn something new every day - I always believed you had to have EAD for an SSN from a dependents' visa!

In that case, I'd definitely go back and hopefully speak to someone more versed in these things
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

It is a long held principle of mine that if at first you do not succeed with government officials try again. The gene pool (hiring pool in this case) is somewhat limited.
(I say this having been a govt administrator in 3 different countries yet all sharing the same distinct issue with DMV etc etc)

I would try another office.

Same principle applies with private industry. If I receive an answer i do not like from banks, insurance companies airlines I usually go by the rule of 3 and call again. Time and time again I have received the advice I want which is contrary to that first provided

My own US driving license debacle involved lots of hoop jumping until I changed offices. Then I did not even have to take a driving test but was issued the license on test score alone.

IMHO it depends on which direction the wind is blowing when attempting to secure an answer from many government offices, especially pension catch up payments in the UK! If I had followed the advice first given to me by correspondence I would have embarked upon a lengthy exchange attempting to prove something that was not an issue. One phone call resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

To be fair we are all human, god help us when AI takes over and 'computer says no' is the reality.

Last edited by vikingsail; May 3rd 2016 at 8:44 pm.
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think that's the best option. She had the kids with her as well which I'm sure helped.

I just wanted to make sure we didn't miss something obvious.
It took me 11 months to get my licence, senators office etc involved and then eventually when they issued it, they gave it to me to check then they took it off me to send away for verification and gave me a temp until I got it back in the mail. I cant remember how many times I went to the DMV and how many different offices I went to. Loads!

When my OH got his licence, he really needed a photocopy of it for something, mortgage I think so when they gave it to him to check, he did a runner and jumped in his car and ran to a Staples, photocopied it then went back with it - only him!
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:03 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
What state are you in?
Panic ??
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I admit I've had years of having to deal with french bureaucrats --- I looked at the website for getting a license in Oregon and it looks like your wife just got someone with half a brain cell.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/page...icenseget.aspx

From what you wrote, she's done everything required and they should have issued the license. Go back, armed with a print out of the requirements from the above page and ask them to tell you what you haven't got.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Back from who?
Verification through the immigration system that she is indeed allowed to reside in the US for the duration of your visa.

She can try another office. Does she have the paperwork showing that she passed the physical driving test? She would need that with her if she hopes to get her license.

Assuming she has a valid foreign license, at least she still can drive.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is here as an L2 and recently passed her driving test. Off
Did she do her test here or the UK? Its unclear from your question. If she did her test here, how did she get the temporary licence? If she has a UK licence she might still have to do the state test.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I admit I've had years of having to deal with french bureaucrats --- I looked at the website for getting a license in Oregon and it looks like your wife just got someone with half a brain cell.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/page...icenseget.aspx
When we got all our licences, even the PA DMV people had handy checklists, for each visa type, of what was required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.