Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did anyone struggle not having a degree?

Did anyone struggle not having a degree?

Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-S will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Did anyone struggle not having a degree?

I'd go along with the premise of no degree, limited options as well. Last year my wife's company asked her/us to move out to New Jersey, so I had a scout around the employment market in the water / civils industry, latterly in project management. Very quickly came to realise my 20 years experience and O/HNC from good old Stockport college wouldn't even get me a job in McDonalds, never mind dealing with pipelines & potable water, so much as we really wanted to come over we didn't take them up on the offer

I certainly 'married up' though, wife has a Phd in sciences, long gone are the days of me supporting her through the studies
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:08 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think it is more down to the lack of value of a High School Diploma. There were some interesting stories in the local paper about how little you need to do to get one.

From the schools point of view they give them out to get them out of the door.
At the risk of digressing, there was a fascinating article in yesterday's LA Times, on the subject of teacher quality:

Superintendent spreads the gospel of 'value-added' teacher evaluations.

"Allowing ineffective teachers to remain in the classroom is literally dragging down the nation," said education researcher Eric Hanushek of Stanford University's Hoover Institution.

In a forthcoming paper, Hanushek estimates that replacing the nation's worst 6% to 10% of instructors with merely average teachers would propel the United States from its below-average level into the ranks of the world's top five educational systems.
The subject of the article tried measuring performance in San Diego, but was forced out by the teachers unions. But it seems that the current administration may be on the right track with this one:

The Obama administration has made value-added a pillar of its school-reform efforts, including the $4.35-billion federal grant program known as Race to the Top, which requires states to link student scores to teachers.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in San Diego now and a bachelors is more or less required for anything over min. wage it seems now, but I've read 40.1% of those aged 24 to 49 now have a Bachelors or higher so it does not surprise me.

And yes I have been having major issues, nothing but Thanks but no thanks emails or no response.

Most of my friends have degrees in various subjects and some now do hiring and they use degrees to eliminate applicants, none of the positions actually need a degree but they dont have time to review all applicants so they just have the computer eliminate every aplicant without a bachelors or higher.

I've now even seen some janitorial ads asking for a degree, so its becoming more or less a degree is the new high school diploma it seems.

I for one will never have a degree, tried college and it wasn't for me and its gonna suck for everyone young now for whatever reason cannot get a degree, no everyone can learn in a classroom type environment.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 20th 2009 at 2:41 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I for one will never have a degree, tried college and it wasn't for me and its gonna suck for everyone young now for whatever reason cannot get a degree, no everyone can learn in a classroom type environment.
Just take one of the on-line programs, it's much easier - just avoid embarassing names like DeVry and Phoenix on-line, try something more upscale like Indiana Wesleyan, that way it doesn't scream "on line degree" on your resume.

I don't knwo what line of work you're in, but without a degree you're always going to be struggling, especially if you need to switch jobs.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retseh
Just take one of the on-line programs, it's much easier - just avoid embarassing names like DeVry and Phoenix on-line, try something more upscale like Indiana Wesleyan, that way it doesn't scream "on line degree" on your resume.

I don't knwo what line of work you're in, but without a degree you're always going to be struggling, especially if you need to switch jobs.
Of course there's always the Open University, also (not sure if it's only open to UK residents though ...?)
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
Of course there's always the Open University, also (not sure if it's only open to UK residents though ...?)
Or do what a few of us here have done and sign up for an on-line Masters with one of the many UK unis that offer them. Most have provision for accepting students without a Bachelors, as long as you've got relevant experience etc.

Cheaper than anything on offer from a US college, 2 years part time, instead of three or more and, hopefully, it would get you into a better paying job than janitor in San Diego.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
In your field that makes perfect sense. If I was going to give somebody money to do research, I'd want to see some evidence that they could do... well, research. And I'm with you on the miserable bastards, too (though they sometimes do have a point, eg on the liberal arts rubbish that gets shoehorned into BScs over here).
The missus, her best friend only has a masters, but she's running a lab that does a lot of diabetes research...she even ran a lab at Harvard till she got poached and not having a phd hasn't been a problem for her, it's just having good quality experience and a network of connections that has been the most important factor.

My field, a degree isn't all that important, it's experience that counts, but having a degree certainly helps those who don't have experience.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you can do OU from abroad, but you must be a UK resident when you first began the course.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby came to the US in 1998 with 36 years of computer hardware/software experience with the RCAF. He worked for the RCAF, the US Air Force and US Navy and Litton Corp. in those capacities during those 36 years and still was not able to find employment as anything but a computer tech in a school for shite money because he had no degree to tack on the end of his resume plus his age was an issue as he was in his 50's.

So things have been this way here in the states for a while.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
The missus, her best friend only has a masters, but she's running a lab that does a lot of diabetes research...she even ran a lab at Harvard till she got poached and not having a phd hasn't been a problem for her, it's just having good quality experience and a network of connections that has been the most important factor.
No argument from me. I think there are loads of ways of demonstrating ability (for research, that might be a PhD, a research Masters, experience or whatever). But I'm not a poxy HR person in the arse end of Texas...
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

My field, a degree isn't all that important, it's experience that counts, but having a degree certainly helps those who don't have experience.
That's interesting, I don't know anyone in research who doesn't have a PhD.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's interesting, I don't know anyone in research who doesn't have a PhD.
It depends on the type of position. You might find someone with a masters degree running a lab or a particular project (i.e., doing the day-to-day project management, etc.), but rarely being a lab director (i.e., the independent researcher who is landing the grants, etc.). Not sure I'd want the responsibility - can lead you to desparate measures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Poehlman (an example I use in my research ethics class every year - what a claim to fame)
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:25 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am in San Diego now and a bachelors is more or less required for anything over min. wage it seems now, but I've read 40.1% of those aged 24 to 49 now have a Bachelors or higher so it does not surprise me.
<snip>
I missed that move - no jobs going in BC I assume?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the type of position. You might find someone with a masters degree running a lab or a particular project (i.e., doing the day-to-day project management, etc.), but rarely being a lab director (i.e., the independent researcher who is landing the grants, etc.). Not sure I'd want the responsibility - can lead you to desparate measures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Poehlman (an example I use in my research ethics class every year - what a claim to fame)
Oh yeah I know all about grant applications
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Got a call today from a local health organisation I applied to - interview next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.