British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Did anyone see "Love Actually" yet? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/did-anyone-see-love-actually-yet-191058/)

PrincessofWales Nov 14th 2003 2:37 pm

Did anyone see "Love Actually" yet?

Now you are either gonna love it or hate it. If you need a British fix then its well worth the 2+ hours.

I enjoyed it for several reasons, although it was too long and some of the scenes should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

However, I have to say that the scene in which Hugh Grant as a post-Blair era British Prime Minister, gives the arrogant US president (Billy Bob Thornton) an earful about how the supposed "special relationship" between the US and the UK needs to be questioned and that little Britain will not be walked over anymore...well I nearly stood up in the "movie theater" and cheered...

Needless to say the scene did not arouse so much as a hoot from the audience.

Also have to say it has made me homesick for London....that's a city that always looks great at Christmas.

adamfdz Nov 14th 2003 4:21 pm

Re: Did anyone see "Love Actually" yet?

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
Now you are either gonna love it or hate it. If you need a British fix then its well worth the 2+ hours.

I enjoyed it for several reasons, although it was too long and some of the scenes should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

However, I have to say that the scene in which Hugh Grant as a post-Blair era British Prime Minister, gives the arrogant US president (Billy Bob Thornton) an earful about how the supposed "special relationship" between the US and the UK needs to be questioned and that little Britain will not be walked over anymore...well I nearly stood up in the "movie theater" and cheered...

Needless to say the scene did not arouse so much as a hoot from the audience.

Also have to say it has made me homesick for London....that's a city that always looks great at Christmas.

I loved it, especially when the aging rock star says: 'don't buy drugs kiddies, just become a pop star and they give you them for free'...i almost wet myself laughing!!!! Highly recommended.

BrigieDarling Nov 15th 2003 2:05 pm

I can't wait to go see it next week with my chick flic loving neighbour Lynne!

Bringing plenty of snack food money and having a glass of wine after! :beer:

waxwabbit Nov 16th 2003 11:10 pm

Brandi and I watched it tonight, and we both thought it was very good. Indeed, the don't buy drugs line was class! Many other funny moments!

Duncs Nov 17th 2003 12:32 am

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Brandi and I watched it tonight, and we both thought it was very good. Indeed, the don't buy drugs line was class! Many other funny moments!
Pretty funny although pretty corny in places. Good Brit fix if you want it, although of course its the stylised nice britain that barely exists in reality. but still made me horribly homesick.

Around here the line that got the biggest laugh was the 'i am going to a place called Wisconsin which sounds great!' right becasue Missishitty is so much better! The gag about english voices in the USA is so true though right!

regards,

Duncan

excpomea Nov 18th 2003 2:11 am

Just saw it , we loved it the guy from the 'Office' he was classic.
Great night out, laughed all the way through it.

Patrick Nov 18th 2003 3:08 am

I am going to see it this week but my neighbor has been over to complain about the nudity!? I obviously haven't seen it but as long as its not Tiffany and Huge Pants I think I will be fine!

Patrick

excpomea Nov 18th 2003 3:39 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
I am going to see it this week but my neighbor has been over to complain about the nudity!? I obviously haven't seen it but as long as its not Tiffany and Huge Pants I think I will be fine!

Patrick

LOL nudity ! a couple of pairs of breasts (Small by the way) and some simulated oral / doggy style sex.

Seen worse on a carling larger advert.

One side benefit was the hostility from the American audience at the caracter portraying the American president and his treatment by Hugh Grant. V funny.
It had the locals here seething..

Bluegrass Lass Nov 18th 2003 3:49 pm

Originally posted by excpomea
One side benefit was the hostility from the American audience at the caracter portraying the American president and his treatment by Hugh Grant. V funny.
It had the locals here seething..
ehheehhe...All the more reason for me to go see it this weekend.

Patrick Nov 18th 2003 3:53 pm

Originally posted by excpomea
LOL nudity ! a couple of pairs of breasts (Small by the way) and some simulated oral / doggy style sex.
We are talking about americans now! People who spend their whole time going on about freedoms then cut the movies to ribbons for tv, where is my freedom to watch a movie uncut at home!

Patrick

DaveC Nov 23rd 2003 3:20 am

Saw it tonight and rather enjoyed it. The first nude scene resulted in some audible gasps and muttering from the locals. My wife proclaimed it to be one of her all time favourite movies. She's only ever seen a fictional British Christmas portayed in Eastenders so I think she was shocked by the positive tone of the film.

Patrick Nov 23rd 2003 2:13 pm

We went to see it last night and its official, I am a plonker! I spent the whole movie shouting "its Rab C Nesbit ", "its ant and dec", "its Parky", "thats Janice Long", "thats the wibbly wobbly bridge" etc, etc.

I thought some of the in jokes where funny, didn't Martine McClutchen have an eating disorder - thats even funnier everyone calling her fat then!

I loved the movie but wished some of the plots would of been developed more, I felt slightly ripped off that the Sarah, movie stand ins and Colin plots weren't exploited more.

If only Blair had the balls to do what Huge Pants did the american president!

Patrick

ramac Nov 24th 2003 2:50 am

Saw it last week with my ex-pat friends.
We loved it. Spent at least 1.5 hrs after it talking non stop about what all of the actors had been in. We had one poor Canadian friend with us, and she was lost to what we were yapping about.

Highly recommended for a wee bit of British cheer and festive spirit.