Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did anyone move without a job secured first?

Did anyone move without a job secured first?

Old Feb 27th 2019, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone move without a job secured first?

Make sure that your resume has been "Americanized"
Old Feb 28th 2019, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not have a job to go to, but as I was moving to SoCal part of my plan was to have some time to enjoy the area.
Like previous posters have said, americanize your resume, update your LinkedIn, set up accounts on ziprecruiter and Indeed.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Following up as I have recently almost gone through this. Wife is a USC and had planned to leave for the USA mid-Feb. I only started applying for jobs at end of December and then in January, and these were for corporate jobs at a level similar or above where I was in the UK. I had expected to arrive without a job and spend some time searching once I had arrived, but actually I think I was very fortunate because with 2 weeks left in the UK I ended up with 3 different job offers.

This was for New York. I must say though that I probably applied for about 40 jobs, and only heard back from about 4/5 in total out of those.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610 View Post
Following up as I have recently almost gone through this. Wife is a USC and had planned to leave for the USA mid-Feb. I only started applying for jobs at end of December and then in January, and these were for corporate jobs at a level similar or above where I was in the UK. I had expected to arrive without a job and spend some time searching once I had arrived, but actually I think I was very fortunate because with 2 weeks left in the UK I ended up with 3 different job offers.

This was for New York. I must say though that I probably applied for about 40 jobs, and only heard back from about 4/5 in total out of those.
Excellent news, horrible as it sounds you had a very good response rate.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and depending on the position the hiring process can take weeks/months.

Here's a tip for some.
If you're moving to a specific geographical area you can get a virtual address in that area. @ $25 a month or so.
And possibly a phone number to go with it.
Might give you an edge as some hiring managers filter by geography.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the US without a job on a K-1. I gave up the job I had pretty much always wanted in aviation, I was moving to somewhere with a small airport so realized I was pretty much giving up my career as well as my UK life.
Started applying for jobs just as I was expecting my work authorization to come through. I applied for a job running the security department of a beach resort (I had airport security experience, so felt reasonably confident). I applied really just wanting to get a taste of how US interviews go. Turned out the HR manager was English, they loved me and wanted me there and then. They were even prepared to wait the extra couple of weeks whilst my work documents came through. Although the weight of getting a job was over, it was the most miserable 2 years of my working life at pay I was getting 20 years ago. I moved on to work at an FBO, again at crap pay before getting a job as a contractor with NHTSA. Again crap pay, but I loved the job. Then finally, a spot opened up doing what I was doing back in the UK, and I’m now the aiport operations supervisor at the Monterey Regional Airport. 6 years of low pay, some low low days at work, but it finally worked out for the best. It’s a huge leap, but provided you are patient, do your homework and keep checking every available avenue for the career you want, there’s no reason why hopefully you can’t have the career you want over here.