Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did anyone move without a job secured first?

Did anyone move without a job secured first?

Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Jackwzrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did anyone move without a job secured first?

I'm starting to worry that even after me and my girlfriend go through all the rigmarole of sorting out the visa's etc, that I may be unable to find work for sometime after. Did anyone else experience moving to the US without having a proper job lined up once you got there. My plan at present is to get work in a bar or retail, and then try and enter the film industry in Georgia (where I would be moving). Am I being unrealistic here?

*I went to film school and would hopefully take a course at the Georgia Film Academy, what I meant by unrealistic is thinking I can get a bartending or retail job once I'm there. Just wanted to clarify

Last edited by Jackwzrd; Feb 26th 2019 at 5:16 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone move without a job secured first?

Can you please clarify what visa you'll be using to enter the USA?

Thanks,
Rene
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

You generally can't move to the US without a job. In almost all cases, visas are work-based and your employer will need to justify why they need to hire a foreigner rather than a local person for the role (exceptions: you are marrying a US citizen, you are a refugee, you are investing in a business). Also unless you are married, your GF will need to sort out her own visa as there are no provisions for unmarried couples in the visa system (exception is a B2 visa which would most likely not be granted and is for 6 months only and the recipient cannot work). I am sure people will be along shortly to direct you to more concrete information about how you may be able to emigrate in the future.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I see from your other threads it will be either a K-1 or CR-1 as your girlfriend is a USC. So thankfully you have a way into the USA.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a minimum wage job and then attend school, with a goal of working in your field in the future. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you both have money lo live on.

Rene
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

As per prior posts his girlfriend is a US citizen. Yes, I moved without a job, but ended up with an employer waiting for me to get an EAD.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here on a K-1 back in 1998 and was unable to work until my EAD was issued. I was able to then work freelance as a writer until I got a full-time job as a systems administrator in a local firm. times were tough but we slogged it out.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Jackwzrd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys thanks for replying, I really appreciate it. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I would only be moving on either the K-1 or CR-1 visa, we haven't yet decided which one!
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Phew - ignore my post then and good luck!
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who move to the US on a CR-1 or a K-1 did not have jobs to go to in the US. Your situation is far from unique. Assuming you are in the UK, your accent should make your bartending days profitable.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:48 pm

My husband (back then fiance) moved to the USA on a K-1 visa in 2004 without having a work plan ahead of time. He was self employed overseas, so continued to be self employed in the USA. It took him about 3 weeks to make contacts and line up some jobs.

Rene
Old Feb 26th 2019, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jack...good luck with the film industry plan. I mean that.
I have experience here.
It's dog eat dog. You'll need to get experience for a resume/a portfolio and at some point, an agent.
There are many people in Los Angeles who've been bartending/waiting tables for 10 years or more while waiting for a break.
When people say to me they'll do what it takes I often ask will you wait 10 years then?
Even fairly well known British actors here don't necessarily walk into jobs. They have to audition.

Regarding Georgia Film Academy, that may not help. Experience is what counts.

If you ever make it to Los Angeles hang out here for a week. LA Center Studios is home to many productions and most of the crew eat here every day. The cafe is open to the public and right in the heart of the industry. You rub elbows. (Fantastic smoked sausage sandwich.)
http://lacenterstudios.com/amenities/flix

Keep an eye on this.
https://www.sagaftra.org/
You'll need membership at some point.
and
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/d/tv-...dio/search/tfr
and
https://variety.com/

Also research games/ads/marketing campaign models. And of course theater.
Volunteer where you can and build up a history.
Make your own movies as calling cards.
And you'll need perfect teeth.

And corny I know but check into this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_(TV_series)

Note: If acting is not your thing then a technical specialty is a good direction to go but the general advice is still the same. Getting experience. Working with names.

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 26th 2019 at 9:04 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 11:12 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I moved without a job for marriage. I started as a Janitor to get my foot in the door, and within 3 years had been promoted 3 times. I'm now the CFO of the facility.

It's not that unusual, you just have to be flexible and be prepared to start at the bottom.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Timing can be important, now for example employment is low and it is pretty easy to get an entry level job, but of course that changes.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohh and unlike the UK Bar tending is seen in much different light, the tipping culture can make it lucrative.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - as most others I moved here without a job. Start looking at job boards now so you can get an idea of the type of jobs opening for when you arrive. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.