Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

terry_tibbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

Hi thanks for the replys.

I'm work in "IT" as a field engineer but my job is very niche to "IT" and the area I cover is very dense (London and SE) with lots of stuff breaking...

There are similar positions in the US but I can imagine being a field engineer would involve driving hundreds of miles if you wasn't based near the big cities.

thanks
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just had Direct TV installed, the guy came form Salida, 60 ish miles away.

Den 1 Por 2 btw.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my husband immigrated to the USA without a job lined up. He was self-employed back in Turkey and intended to do the same here.

Took him 3 weeks to make some contacts and find a mentor in his field. That person was in Los Angeles (we live in Phoenix). Unfortunately, there's not enough work in his field in Phoenix, so for the past 8 years (and for the foreseeable future), he spends most of his time working in LA and coming home every few weeks for a long weekend in Phoenix.

That mentor guy left the USA permanently about a year after my husband started with him, so he turned over his whole clientele to my husband, it was a lucky break for him.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:23 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I came here with no job lined up. Of course, that is often the case if you are coming here to marry i would think.

Six months to get my first job, part-time IT guy, 25 hours per week.

About 8 months of that and managed to work it up into a full time position. I have moved on a couple of times since then (my choice each time) but really have been quite fortunate i think with the way things have worked out here over all.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in late May. Both had jobs with US companies in the UK, but neither were able to transfer.

Took a week to get my SSN through (must be a record) and then started looking. Applying for lots of stuff and working the networks. Mrs F (USC) has had more success and has had several Skype calls and face to face meetings. I think it's going to be a long slog to get there, but this is what we really want and I doubt it would be any easier finding jobs back in London / SE.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Came over 2+ years ago on L2 visa. Took over a year to get an EAD. Then had to move again because of OH's job, another 100-odd miles. I've looked periodically at jobs but there is very little out there, so still not working and can't see it changing anytime soon. My expat friends in this area are in the same boat.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I came over on an IR-1 in 2010 and has basically given myself three months to find work here (that's how long the savings would have lasted while still giving me enough money to survive in the UK to find another contract).

I did have one interview arranged and a recruiter who I had done business with before had started pitching me around a couple of weeks before I set off. In the end I did take the job that I had the interview arranged for and they seemed to be happy enough with me and vice versa as I'm still working there .

This is in IT - I'm a software engineer - but keep in mind I've been doing this for a little while (like a good 20 years by now) and I had some knowledge/business experience that my current employer was looking for.