Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

terry_tibbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

Assuming you had the right to live and work in the US, did anyone just move there without employment beforehand ?

Preferably the over 25s and post global the recession of 08.

The reason I ask is because shortly, circumstances will probably put me in the above situation, unless I can find US employment while in the UK before my arrival which is proving impossible, especially without GC in hand yet.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Tel

Last edited by terry_tibbs; Jun 12th 2012 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone move to USA without a job first ?

I'm self employed if that counts... though admittedly I had my first contract signed just a week before arriving in the US.

All depends where you're going and what field you work in. Maybe you'll find it easy, maybe hard. Use LinkedIn to build contacts.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I did (a bit before the recession though, 2004).

I think the chance of you finding employment before arriving (especially if paperwork is still being processed etc) is about the same as winning the lottery, i.e. nigh on impossible, as you are finding out.

I have always found it tricky over here at the best of times - right now, no doubt about it, it is likely going to be an uphill battle for you. A lot of it will depend on your skills/education level, what you want to do, and where you are going to live. Do you have at least a Bachelors Degree? Without one, its a double struggle; I always felt woefully under gunned educationally here until I got my Masters.

If you are flexible on where you are going to live, I think you'd have a somewhat easier time of it - this day and age, the mantra has to be "Go where the work is", IMHO. After you get here, I'd advise against putting down any roots, i.e. just rent a place rather than buy, and see how things pan out. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Arrived in March and still looking. Got through to second (and final) interview for a job I really wanted, but didn't get it. Back to square one.

My industry is dead here, so looking to branch out but it is really hard when you don't know anyone - looks like i'm going to have to go through a temp agency.

By all means do research / apply before you arrive, but don't expect any success. Prepare for a tough ride.

My wife found admin work pretty easily (she has admin experience, and some US experience from 5 years ago) but although the pay is relatively good it is a shitty job.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

It was a stupid and shit idea.

Was young though
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

Yes, we both did in March 2010. For us, it was impossible not to. I'm the US citizen and after being gone for nearly five years, nobody was going to hire me without recent US experience. DH is a teacher and he was required to go back to uni after arriving in the US to meet Illinois requirements for a teaching certificate. Basically, we arrived, moved in with my parents and spent the next year-and-a-half living off our savings while DH took night classes, substitute taught during the day and I worked part-time at a retail job. Eventually, we both found full-time jobs in our career fields but it took a heck of a lot of hard work. It's possible though.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I did. And managed to secure H1B almost accidentally. But was in 2003.

I was here on tourist visa visiting my USC then boyfriend (now husband). Job posting came up locally (San Fran) and I went to talk to them just out of interest and got offered the role. Had to leave the country because tourist visa was expiring and had to officially apply for H1-B.

Very glad that I'm not trying to do it now. Although I keep getting calls/emails from recruiters trying to interview/hire me (I figure it is my education and work background plus living in Silicon Valley). With 8 week old twins in the house, working again is sounding like a promising proposition!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

DH arrived in January 2008, found work in October 2009 (yes, took that long!). Was made part-time from said job in November 2011 (and lost medical benefits) and made redundant in January 2012. Still unemployed.

He's currently volunteering full-time at a government job. (He was only going to volunteer a couple of days a week, but they really like him and are hoping to hire him--but like all government jobs go, they post job, you apply and wait for ranking, if you make the top 2 ranks, you can be interviewed--that's where he's at right now.)
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:18 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

If you come over because you married a USC its likely you won't have a job set up and ready to go fyi
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

DH arrived in June 2011, started job hunting right away, went to work October 2011. We had to move 300 miles for this job but that's not bad in a country this big.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:07 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We did in Dec 2009.

DH wanted retail, not picky, got a job a week after getting his SSN and started in Feb 2010. His job did NOT give him health insurance.

I wanted a job similar to my old one, which is admin work at a university. Started applying in Nov 2009, many interviews, many rejection letters. Eventually got a position which started in September 2010.

Between arrival and that September we had no health insurance and very little income. Be sure that your situation can weather both of these possibilities without financial ruin.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Did that just over a 18 months ago - took 6 months before we both had steady work. And as other have mentioned there's that healthcare thing to think about.

Be ready to jobhunt like a pro. From day 1.

1 year on from finding work we are - very happy.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terry_tibbs
Assuming you had the right to live and work in the US, did anyone just move there without employment beforehand ?

Preferably the over 25s and post global the recession of 08.
Yes. I moved here in late 08 with nothing lined up.

It took 16 months before I found any position worth taking.

In a lot of places now the job market is much better than it was then, thankfully.

What is your field of expertise?

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Jun 13th 2012 at 12:58 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did but now run my own business.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:22 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, arrived here June 2008 just as the economy was entering meltdown.

The first job I was offered disappeared before I started when the bank involved wobbled a bit and was bought out!

Started employment in December 2008. Had to move but the company paid for all of that.

So far....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.