Reload this Page >

Diazepam and drugs test?

Diazepam and drugs test?

Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Imissmywife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diazepam and drugs test?

Hi guys,

Back in January I was prescribed some diazepam to help me with flying as I get really anxious whenever I have to fly.
I was signed off from my General Anxiety disorder back in August, but I still took a 5mg Diazepam as I recently went on a flight to Glasgow (from London) and was panicking!

Is this going to be tested for at the medical? Should I mention it or wait for them to ask if I've been taking any medication? The diazepam was prescribed to me, as mentioned, but it was back in January?

Many thanks!
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diazepam and drugs test?

Originally Posted by Imissmywife
Hi guys,

Back in January I was prescribed some diazepam to help me with flying as I get really anxious whenever I have to fly.
I was signed off from my General Anxiety disorder back in August, but I still took a 5mg Diazepam as I recently went on a flight to Glasgow (from London) and was panicking!

Is this going to be tested for at the medical? Should I mention it or wait for them to ask if I've been taking any medication? The diazepam was prescribed to me, as mentioned, but it was back in January?

Many thanks!

It won't necessarily be tested for unless you mention you have taken it. On the questionnaire that you fill in prior to the appointment it asks if you are taking any medication and if you have ever had any mental disorder or depression. So yes, you would need to disclose the fact that you have had this disorder in the past.

I would get yourself a letter from the GP saying that your condition is related to the situation mentioned above and most importantly in their professional opinion "xxxx does not pose a risk to themselves, other people or property from the date of discharge".

Then when the clinician asks, you disclose your past condition; if they need a letter, you have it and then hopefully that will mitigate against them asking for a full psychiatric evaluation.

Hoffage

Last edited by hoffage123; Nov 1st 2013 at 11:47 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:13 am
Just Joined

My medical exam is on Monday and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a letter!
I already have a letter from the doctor stating I am no longer suffering with anxiety, but this is a case of panic when I go on a plane due to a fear of flying.

Should I mention it to them when they ask about prescriptions and see what they ask of me? Do you think they would accept my doctor sending them a letter at a later date despite delaying the interview?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Just a thought: My GP included their number on the letter, would it be worth saying they can contact my GP on that number for any discussions?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imissmywife
I get really anxious whenever I have to fly.
Many people take diazepam prior to surgery to reduce their anxiety... and, oddly enough, they only get anxious when they have surgery! If you're not generally anxious when you aren't flying, I suggest you don't have an issue! Your anxiety, from what you've written, is a direct result of having to fly!

I suggest that you don't need to mention it - unless you've been hospitalized for your anxiety attacks. From where I sit, unless you're flying, you're fine!

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:06 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There is no 'drug test' as part of the medical. Blood is taken solely for the purpose of testing for syphalis.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
There is no 'drug test' as part of the medical. Blood is taken solely for the purpose of testing for syphalis.
If there's no drug test, then why are people so worried when they've smoked marijuana prior to the medical exam?

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Many people take diazepam prior to surgery to reduce their anxiety... and, oddly enough, they only get anxious when they have surgery! If you're not generally anxious when you aren't flying, I suggest you don't have an issue! Your anxiety, from what you've written, is a direct result of having to fly!

I suggest that you don't need to mention it - unless you've been hospitalized for your anxiety attacks. From where I sit, unless you're flying, you're fine!

Ian
I agree with Ian. If the question is posed "do you ever take prescription medication?" You can say "yes, I occasionally take Diazepam for anxiety, only when I have to fly".

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, I'll try and get a letter from my doctor early on monday, but I have one saying that I am free from anxiety and your advice has really helped! I suppose if in the end they do need evidence I can supply it at a later date thanks again! You guys are the best.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:08 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Dont mention it its a bit like saying I take Paracetamol for back pain i.e who cares?! You are taking it on as needed basis. Forget it.

DOI: Gp
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 7:28 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If there's no drug test, then why are people so worried when they've smoked marijuana prior to the medical exam?

Rene
Because they are expressly questioned about the issue, and people always worry about the unknown. Check the information on the Knightsbridge website, it expressly states blood is drawn to check for syphalis only.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Because they are expressly questioned about the issue, and people always worry about the unknown. Check the information on the Knightsbridge website, it expressly states blood is drawn to check for syphalis only.
It says in their pricing list "Drugs screen: £48" - They test you for drugs if you have a criminal history or admit to trying drugs in the past.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:55 pm
Often not so civil...

So my statement is correct, at the medical, if you do not admit to taking drugs, there is no drugs test.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies!
The reason I am worried is I know they will drug test me as I have to admit I tried cannabis in the past, so I was wondering if the drugs test they do includes a test for benzos? I haven't touched anything else since I was a teenager, so I'm not worried about that, just worried if I dont mention it and they find it will I be denied for mis-rep.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

So my statement is correct, at the medical, if you do not admit to taking drugs, there is no drugs test.
Unfortunately I saw my doctor originally about anxiety and admitted to trying cannabis, so I know it's on my medical record so I have to admit to trying it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.