British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Diarrhea in a bun (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/diarrhea-bun-725415/)

tamms_1965 Jul 19th 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Diarrhea in a bun

Around here we have coneys (short for coney island)....it's a hot dog w/mustard, Cincinnati chili, and cheese (onions optional). Absolutely the best:)

tamms_1965 Jul 19th 2011 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress (Post 9505751)
Okay, ya'll - don't knock it if you haven't tried it! Chili dogs & hot dogs with sauerkraut used to be very popular up north (Chicago area). Chili-cheese dogs seem to be popular in the mid-south, but it depends on the dog, the chili and the cheese! Pronto pups (corn dogs) are BIG at fairs in these parts, so much so they're even sold in the frozen food departments at the local stores. A pronto pup smothered in mustard is great on a cool night at the fair, believe me. As for gross looking, I wouldn't touch black pudding with a 10' pole!

Now if you want to go for gross - how about "chittlins"! Or, more properly, chitterlings. That's what I call yuck!:p

My grandma made them (and greens cooked in bacon grease:eek:), but I would never eat them.

Egg and Cress Jul 19th 2011 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 9505765)
Around here we have coneys (short for coney island)....it's a hot dog w/mustard, Cincinnati chili, and cheese (onions optional). Absolutely the best:)

Yum! Sounds good, except for the cheese. Nobody ever seems to get the cheese quite right, though. Too many around here put pickle relish on their "Coney Island Hot Dogs" and that ruins it for me. :thumbdown:

P.S. What's "Cincinnati" chili?

tamms_1965 Jul 19th 2011 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress (Post 9505773)
Yum! Sounds good, except for the cheese. Nobody ever seems to get the cheese quite right, though. Too many around here put pickle relish on their "Coney Island Hot Dogs" and that ruins it for me. :thumbdown:

P.S. What's "Cincinnati" chili?

The best food since sliced bread, that's all :D A "special" chili created in Cinci that has strange seasonings (like cinnamon and chocolate) in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

One of the very first restaurants I can remember going to as a very young child. Everyone calls the restaurants you get them at a chili parlor...even hubs has grown to love them.

My fave way to get it over spaghetti is a 3-way (sometimes I get a 4-way w/light onions)

tonrob Jul 20th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 9505781)
My fave way to get it is over spaghetti in a 3-way

Now that deserves a thread all of its own...:rofl:

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 9505781)
(sometimes I get a 4-way w/light onions)

Oooh you filthy, filthy mare...:wub:

tamms_1965 Jul 20th 2011 2:22 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9505950)
Now that deserves a thread all of its own...:rofl:

Oooh you filthy, filthy mare...:wub:

I know, I don't know what's become of me:ohmy:

moneypenny20 Jul 20th 2011 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9504884)
It's messy food, meant to be messy, but pretty much as you've described....it's basically breakfast in a can slapped into a bun, for dinner...well it should be :lol:

Breakfast in a can? WTH is that?:confused:

Ash UK/US Jul 20th 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 9505765)
Cincinnati chili, and cheese (onions optional). Absolutely the best:)

Cinci chili 'Skyline' is yummy, I put it on spagetti or on fries with cheese :thumbsup:

Havnfun Jul 20th 2011 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9505764)
Those chili cheese dogs from Der Wienerschnitzel must be the worst thing for you....but I love them! I've been eating them since I was 17 and I'm still alive. LOL

Rene

I looked at the nutritional information once, it was a while before I could eat there again. One original chili cheese dog has 350 calories and 1390mg of sodium:eek:

Noorah101 Jul 20th 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Havnfun (Post 9506094)
I looked at the nutritional information once, it was a while before I could eat there again. One original chili cheese dog has 350 calories and 1390mg of sodium:eek:

Hmmm, I could live with eating 350 cals, but OMG was that really 1,390 mg of sodium??? Yikes! :(

Sophia_S Jul 20th 2011 4:23 pm

[QUOTE=tonrob;9503635]Does anyone else like Sloppy Joes? :confused:

I just made one for my tea. (A veggie one of course).

http://simplyrecipes.com/photos/sloppy-joe.jpg

This isn't a picture of mine. I just wanted to peel one off Google to remind everyone that these things really do look like a poo bap.[/QUO

Not crazy about them,but do have sloppy joes very rarely!,have homemade burgers occ. as well,with garlic powder and Italian dried herbs mixed in with the meat,but only put a little bit of mayo on the top part of the bun,and have the burger topped with just sliced tomato,onion and dill pickle,nothing else,hate ketchup!:p

Bob Jul 20th 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9506063)
Breakfast in a can? WTH is that?:confused:

A students best friend :D

Tesco's own brand were the best of the slag cans :lol:

It's a can of beans, mini sausages, scotch eggs and bacon kind of thing :D

meauxna Jul 21st 2011 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9507317)
Hmmm, I could live with eating 350 cals, but OMG was that really 1,390 mg of sodium??? Yikes! :(

I think it was one of the 'you docs' who described hot dogs as edible salt licks. :lol:

Havnfun Jul 21st 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9507317)

Yep 1,390 mg of sodium and the all beef chili cheese dog has 1,960:eek:

Maybe that means I am lacking salt when I have a craving for a chili cheese dog:lol:

sime303 Jul 21st 2011 2:33 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9505278)
The adverts for this chilli dog always make me want to vomit, it looks like dog diarrhea on the top

That should be named "2 girls 1 bun". Worst food I have ever seen.