Diabetes

Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diabetes

HM

I don't need insulin. I take Actos a little white pill and watch my diet for keeping my glucose within the normal range.

But I could see reusing the syringe as long as it is sharp and no one else uses it but you.

Yes you are correct about not cleaning the lancet/needle. Just as you don't test on a finger that has been rubbed with alcohol or any other product even hand creams or soap.

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Rete...

In some areas they say you can reuse the syringe also... There have been clinical studies regarding reusing lancets and syringes.

For the lancets... As long as it is not dull and is recapped there is no problem according to a lot of research sites... I know a number of long term diabetics that reuse and they have never had any problems. 6 ot 7 times as long as it's OK.

Never knew anyone to reuse a syringe but I have read a couple of studies that say it is OK... Recap the needle immediately. Do not clean the needle with alcohol or other substance, do not use a bent or dull needle... basically thats it... There are loads of people practising this, mostly due to the cost..

Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy

Hope this helps....
Helps a lot - just what we were after - Thanks!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:56 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
BTW, the diabetes classes are paid for by healthcare. She can drop in after a quick call usually to talk with someone and set up the classes. During this talk they will give her the machine and a few lancets and strips. You want a machine that uses the least amount of blood for an accurate reading.

Also SHE WILL BE DOING MORE THAN THREE TESTS A DAY for the first week or two. Why? Because she needs to know how her body reacts to different foods, and lack of food, which is just as important as what you eat. Diabetics have to eat three meals a day, at the same time each day, and two snacks as well. The issue is to maintain even glucose readings throughout the day with no peaks or valleys. This takes time and testing to discover.

She also needs the classes to inform her of what to expect with a high glucose and a low glucose reading. She can do serious harm to herself if the levels peak and valley dramatically as well as to the baby. She needs to attend the classes. Exercise is all important as well. Moderate, low impact exercise three times a week for 1/2 hour is recommended. I go to Curves for Women and find that by testing before and after exercising there is a difference of 15 to 20 points in glucose.

She needs to read labels and learn about carbs. She needs carbs. NO ATKINS. Recommendation is 45 to 60 carbs per meal and 15 to 30 carbs per snack. One banana is 30 carbs. A bagel is over 50 carbs without butter or cream cheese. You have to watch what you eat, when you eat and portion size.

If you need any information please PM me.

At the risk of raising someone's blood pressure ... now is not the time to bemoan the cost of the disease. Your wife and child could die from this disease. Aren't your family members worth the $200 it might cost you for the next six/nine months. You can buy the strips on e-bay BTW. That is where I get mine.
Rete - thanks for the info. I think it was her doctor that told her to test 3 times a day, so I reckon they think that will be sufficient....? She's seeing the nutritionist next week, and they may tell her to test more often.

Point b) My blood pressure is fine thanks. We're aware of the risks. If 200 or 2000 or 20000 needs to be spent to protect the family, it will be, but only if its necesary to spend that amount and there isn't an equally good option cheaper. Why waste money spending 200 bucks on a monitor if the 20 buck ones do the same job? That was my original question.........
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Rete - thanks for the info. I think it was her doctor that told her to test 3 times a day, so I reckon they think that will be sufficient....? She's seeing the nutritionist next week, and they may tell her to test more often.

Point b) My blood pressure is fine thanks. We're aware of the risks. If 200 or 2000 or 20000 needs to be spent to protect the family, it will be, but only if its necesary to spend that amount and there isn't an equally good option cheaper. Why waste money spending 200 bucks on a monitor if the 20 buck ones do the same job? That was my original question.........

The nutritionist is part of the diabetes education classes given at the hospital. The classes are: 1) Nutrition; 2) Exercise and Controlling Stress; 3) Health Issues brought on by Diabetes; 4) What is Diabetes

My Blue Cross/Blue Shield paid in full and the classes were in the evening for those that worked. Monitor was free. [Sorry but your OP about the cost sounded as if you don't like to part with your money and thought it was a waste to buy something that could save their lives now and in the future.]

Supplies should be covered under your Flex-Spending Plan and while it costs you, it costs you money that is tax deferred.

Stress will elevate glucose so it is important to learn about how to handle stress and in many ways become very very selfish and think of yourself first to eliminate as much stress as possible.

I did my homework regarding costs of supplies and as the pharmacist told me and showed me, there is little difference in costs of test strips. The difference in the cost of the monitor varies because some offer a quicker (15 sec), more accurate reading and use smaller samples of blood. This is very very important. Others that purport to use other areas of the body then the finger are not as accurate and are more expensive.

Sugar is allowed but remember sugar is a carb. Splenda is wonderful. Much better than pink or blue sugar substitutes with no side effects (diaherra). Rule of thumb is to stop or limit eating anything white and starchy, i.e. flour, potatoes, rice, bread, cereals, pasta. The trick is to balance your meals as you need carbs and fats and proteins so the food is transformed to glucose over a period of time rather all at once. That is why she will test before meals and one hour after meals at least three times a day. As well as in the morning upon waking and in the evening before bed for a total of eight or more tests the first week or two. She will be told to test the first week when she feels stressed, i.e. talking to someone who upsets her, driving the car in heavy traffic, etc.

Wishing her a stressfree pregnancy and a healthy baby

Rete

Last edited by Rete; Feb 25th 2005 at 3:36 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:04 am
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks rete, found it very interesting! I am still in the UK and wonder how it will be with my diabetes once I get to the US. I have contacted my Glucose meters manufacturer who told me to send them my meter when I get there and they will replace it with a US equivalant. I understand my hubby to be's work health insurance is diabetes friendly.

I use the lancets a few times too, its OK. And also the needles on my insulin pens. Infact when I went on Insulin (1997, and was pregnant at the time!) the needles wern't available on the NHS, so the diabetic nurse said it was OK to use the needle up to 4 times. Now you can get them on prescription here, but I got into the habbit of using them more than once!

But testing your blood plenty of times a day during pregnancy is a good thing. You can go hypo very quickly, it is alot more unstable than normal. Also your body will change a lot during the pregnancy and your needs will change big time. My insulin doses went up 4 fold. It is good to keep on top of it, for the health of the mother and baby.