Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Detroit Border Control

Detroit Border Control

Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Rainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Detroit Border Control

I have been looking up flights for planning to visit my boyfriend for 3 months (like I do every year) and the stop over choices I have are at Atlanta or Detroit. Like many people I do not like the nosy questions they ask but this is not to discuss about that...I am wondering if there will be an airport where I will not be taken into a private room and questioned for an hour...

First time I went over I went through Georgia for customs and got questioned, the 2nd time I went through Chicargo and I didn't get questioned, I am hoping 3rd time lucky but I doubt it will happen.

I am curious about other peoples experiance with Detriot and Atlanta airports customs.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Detroit Border Control

1. 3 months is mostly over 90 days. no wonder you get the full treatment

2. You show immigrant intent from their point of view

3. A POE officer in Detroit works by the same rulebook a POE officer in Fairbanks Alaska works from.

4. No-one can determine what side of the bed the POE officer you get has woken up on.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainah
I do not like the nosy questions they ask...
There's a very easy way to avoid the questions.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Rainah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
1. 3 months is mostly over 90 days. no wonder you get the full treatment
I usually make sure I go for just a little under 90 days.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's a very easy way to avoid the questions.

Ian
I wonder. My gut reaction to OP's question is that Detroit is much more likely to refuse admission with few questions asked. But methinks that is not what OP is asking about.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rainah
I have been looking up flights for planning to visit my boyfriend for 3 months (like I do every year) and the stop over choices I have are at Atlanta or Detroit. Like many people I do not like the nosy questions they ask but this is not to discuss about that...I am wondering if there will be an airport where I will not be taken into a private room and questioned for an hour...

First time I went over I went through Georgia for customs and got questioned, the 2nd time I went through Chicargo and I didn't get questioned, I am hoping 3rd time lucky but I doubt it will happen.

I am curious about other peoples experiance with Detriot and Atlanta airports customs.
I'm already refusing you entry.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

this may not help but its my experiance.
ive visited my girlfriend twice she lives in rockville md.

both times i flew to dulles 1st time i got a quite abrupt poe officer but he was doing his job.
the 2nd time which was april 6 the poe officer was fantastic she was chatting about the uk and how plumbers and carpenters are none existant in washington or there expensive.
im a carpenter say may be it was a different tactic but the experiance was great.i was staying for 20 days and she wished me a pleasant stay and said she hopes me and my gf will be very happy.

so maybe try to fly via dulles
Old Apr 29th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Based on your pattern of visits I don't think you will find anywhere that is going to welcome you with open arms and party poppers - it is their job to ask those questions. In fairness anyone who can take a 3 month holiday would not appear to have that many ties to the UK. Do you take any documentation with you to prove that you have a mortgage, job etc in the UK and plan to return? Maybe that would help a little.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990
this may not help but its my experiance.
ive visited my girlfriend twice she lives in rockville md.

both times i flew to dulles 1st time i got a quite abrupt poe officer but he was doing his job.
the 2nd time which was april 6 the poe officer was fantastic she was chatting about the uk and how plumbers and carpenters are none existant in washington or there expensive.
im a carpenter say may be it was a different tactic but the experiance was great.i was staying for 20 days and she wished me a pleasant stay and said she hopes me and my gf will be very happy.

so maybe try to fly via dulles
Everyone's experience is different. I live near Rockville, MD and the last time I flew into Dulles (a couple of years ago) it was on a US passport. I was hauled off to a waiting room for secondary screening. The first guy I had to deal with was a complete prick. And that's the treatment I received as a US citizen! Life lesson #1: There are a$$holes everywhere.