British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Detroit Border Control (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/detroit-border-control-714855/)

Rainah Apr 27th 2011 6:45 pm

Detroit Border Control

I have been looking up flights for planning to visit my boyfriend for 3 months (like I do every year) and the stop over choices I have are at Atlanta or Detroit. Like many people I do not like the nosy questions they ask but this is not to discuss about that...I am wondering if there will be an airport where I will not be taken into a private room and questioned for an hour...

First time I went over I went through Georgia for customs and got questioned, the 2nd time I went through Chicargo and I didn't get questioned, I am hoping 3rd time lucky but I doubt it will happen.

I am curious about other peoples experiance with Detriot and Atlanta airports customs.

Manc Apr 27th 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Detroit Border Control

1. 3 months is mostly over 90 days. no wonder you get the full treatment

2. You show immigrant intent from their point of view

3. A POE officer in Detroit works by the same rulebook a POE officer in Fairbanks Alaska works from.

4. No-one can determine what side of the bed the POE officer you get has woken up on.

ian-mstm Apr 27th 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rainah (Post 9330155)
I do not like the nosy questions they ask...

There's a very easy way to avoid the questions.

Ian

Rainah Apr 27th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9330563)
1. 3 months is mostly over 90 days. no wonder you get the full treatment

I usually make sure I go for just a little under 90 days.

S Folinsky Apr 28th 2011 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9330574)
There's a very easy way to avoid the questions.

Ian

I wonder. My gut reaction to OP's question is that Detroit is much more likely to refuse admission with few questions asked. But methinks that is not what OP is asking about. :p

MrEmjoy Apr 28th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rainah (Post 9330155)
I have been looking up flights for planning to visit my boyfriend for 3 months (like I do every year) and the stop over choices I have are at Atlanta or Detroit. Like many people I do not like the nosy questions they ask but this is not to discuss about that...I am wondering if there will be an airport where I will not be taken into a private room and questioned for an hour...

First time I went over I went through Georgia for customs and got questioned, the 2nd time I went through Chicargo and I didn't get questioned, I am hoping 3rd time lucky but I doubt it will happen.

I am curious about other peoples experiance with Detriot and Atlanta airports customs.

I'm already refusing you entry.

redarmy990 Apr 28th 2011 4:53 pm

this may not help but its my experiance.
ive visited my girlfriend twice she lives in rockville md.

both times i flew to dulles 1st time i got a quite abrupt poe officer but he was doing his job.
the 2nd time which was april 6 the poe officer was fantastic she was chatting about the uk and how plumbers and carpenters are none existant in washington or there expensive.
im a carpenter say may be it was a different tactic but the experiance was great.i was staying for 20 days and she wished me a pleasant stay and said she hopes me and my gf will be very happy.

so maybe try to fly via dulles

NatashaB Apr 29th 2011 12:36 pm

Based on your pattern of visits I don't think you will find anywhere that is going to welcome you with open arms and party poppers - it is their job to ask those questions. In fairness anyone who can take a 3 month holiday would not appear to have that many ties to the UK. Do you take any documentation with you to prove that you have a mortgage, job etc in the UK and plan to return? Maybe that would help a little.

MarylandNed Apr 29th 2011 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 9331993)
this may not help but its my experiance.
ive visited my girlfriend twice she lives in rockville md.

both times i flew to dulles 1st time i got a quite abrupt poe officer but he was doing his job.
the 2nd time which was april 6 the poe officer was fantastic she was chatting about the uk and how plumbers and carpenters are none existant in washington or there expensive.
im a carpenter say may be it was a different tactic but the experiance was great.i was staying for 20 days and she wished me a pleasant stay and said she hopes me and my gf will be very happy.

so maybe try to fly via dulles

Everyone's experience is different. I live near Rockville, MD and the last time I flew into Dulles (a couple of years ago) it was on a US passport. I was hauled off to a waiting room for secondary screening. The first guy I had to deal with was a complete prick. And that's the treatment I received as a US citizen! Life lesson #1: There are a$$holes everywhere.