British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Detroit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/detroit-278104/)

USA-Today Jan 17th 2005 12:48 pm

Detroit

Hi,

I am moving to Detroit with my family in early March-05.

Can you please provide any tips on how to settle down in Detroit ? any tips ? web links ? find appartments (2 bed room) ...etc

Thanks in advance,

With regards,

Manc Jan 17th 2005 12:52 pm

Re: Detroit

Originally Posted by USA-Today
Hi,

I am moving to Detroit with my family in early March-05.

Can you please provide any tips on how to settle down in Detroit ? any tips ? web links ? find appartments (2 bed room) ...etc

Thanks in advance,

With regards,

Detroit.................
man oh man.
the city itself is to be missed between 7pm and 5am at all costs. There are some really nice 'burbs like Warren, Sterling Heights, Roseville, Even at a pinch Auburn Hills and Pontiac are driveable commuting distance.

The best thing about Detroit is the bridge to Canada.

tony126 Jan 17th 2005 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Detroit.................
man oh man.
the city itself is to be missed between 7pm and 5am at all costs. There are some really nice 'burbs like Warren, Sterling Heights, Roseville, Even at a pinch Auburn Hills and Pontiac are driveable commuting distance.

The best thing about Detroit is the bridge to Canada.

Or the Windsor tunnel.

Jan Alaska Jan 17th 2005 4:04 pm

I just asked hubby "whats the best bit about Detroit" (his family lived in Pontiac until he was 9) ... he says .... "Detroit is a good place to come from, loads of famous folks come from Detroit" .. so there we are.
OP I really think it depends where you are going to be working as to where to look for accommodation etc ...

Good Luck

Jan

Manc Jan 17th 2005 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I just asked hubby "whats the best bit about Detroit" (his family lived in Pontiac until he was 9) ... he says .... "Detroit is a good place to come from, loads of famous folks come from Detroit" .. so there we are.
OP I really think it depends where you are going to be working as to where to look for accommodation etc ...

Good Luck

Jan

he's right an' all. You know plenty of people from Detroit, but no-one whom lives there

Ash UK/US Jan 17th 2005 4:36 pm

The thing about Detroit? the road sign saying your leaving! Ok in fairness I have only been through down town, roll up ya window, lock your doors and pray...the INS office is not in the best part of town ;)

Ash

Pimpbot Jan 17th 2005 4:39 pm

Wasn't Detroit voted America's fattest city last year?. I'm personally working on turning Scottsdale, AZ into the 2005 champs.

Manc Jan 17th 2005 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Wasn't Detroit voted America's fattest city last year?. I'm personally working on turning Scottsdale, AZ into the 2005 champs.

yes, I'm gutted we lost that title to Houston in 2004.

CalgaryAMC Jan 17th 2005 7:22 pm

My in-laws lived in Livonia once, after my FIL got a job in Dearborn. I visited a couple of times, did the Windsor tunnel and Ambassador bridge. Pretty rank place. Reminded me of pre-renovation Hulme in Manchester.

They lasted a year before returning to North Carolina. My MIL is still mentally scarred by the experience. I wasn't impressed by Detroit, but it wasn't the worst place I've ever seen. No worse than parts of Salford or Manchester were when I left there.

sibsie Jan 17th 2005 7:37 pm

My husband's in Detroit for a month and hating it. Isn't there some saying about "Born in the bowels of hell, raised on the streets of Detroit"...