Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Destitute Americans Living in Tents

Destitute Americans Living in Tents

Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Destitute Americans Living in Tents

I know that there are 'tent cities' in California (where the climate is generally mild away from the mountainous areas) but I was shocked to read about once-prosperous people living in tents in New Jersey. It is absolutely freezing here in the Winter months.

What a sad state of affairs:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...sey-woods.html
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:15 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Destitute Americans Living in Tents

It makes you thankful for what you have.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

When the real winter weather comes I can see that being a pretty dire situation. Some have wood stoves in the tents
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
When the real winter weather comes I can see that being a pretty dire situation. Some have wood stoves in the tents
Having the wood stoves in the tents could so easily lead to disaster.
You wonder why there is so many millions in aid going overseas when there is this situation, here in this country.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am liberal on many causes such as universal health insurance, I'm not sure how I stand on this issue. According to the article, she was making $100,000 per year (over double the medium US salary) before she lost her job and then lost her house. How much he was making was never stated but even if he was making the medium US salary, they were making about $150,000 per year.

Where did the money go? Should US taxpayers who make much less money now pay to take care of people who blew their money on frivolous things and expensive vacations?

Should the government impose mandatory savings for those making over a certain amount of money?

The situation seems to have been created by their freedom to chose how they spent their money when they had a good income.

That is also one of the reasons that I support mandated universal health care/insurance. For many younger people with no assets, it is much cheaper to not pay health insurance premiums (even if subsidized) when they are healthy and if they get seriously sick, someone will take care of him/her and all they need to do is file bankruptcy. So why would someone want to pay non-mandated health insurance premiums (even subsidized) when they can take expensive vacations and buy frivolous things instead since not paying health insurance premiums has always worked so well for them in the past?

In the latest republican debate, Ron Paul came the closest to say "let him die" when asked how to pay the hospital bills (crowd cheered) but backed off when asked directly whether we should let him die by stuttering and then saying "No" (crowd became quiet and some yelled "let him die"). The lady in the article could have possibly been one of those in the tea party crowd cheering if she hadn't lost her job.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 28th 2011 at 2:58 am.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is that battle going on in Essex, Basildon.

I am somewhere a lot colder and know people living in Yurts.

But back to the topic I am always suspicious of this sort of story, stinks of cheap journalism.

And they say there is one in Colorado? I have never heard of it.

As it gets colder most transients here head for warmer parts.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joto
Having the wood stoves in the tents could so easily lead to disaster.
You wonder why there is so many millions in aid going overseas when there is this situation, here in this country.
Diverting money from (much needed) overseas aid isn't the answer - there has to be some sort of safety net to divert that money into. At the moment there isn't and I doubt there ever will be.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

New York magazine did an article about this place almost two years ago:

http://nymag.com/news/features/63047/
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Excellent post. Why didn't she save anything? It shouldn't be the government's business to force people to save, and it shouldn't be the government's business to bailout such people.
I work in the medicine and I know that the insurance companies have so much protection from competition etc. If Ron Paul had his way, the insurance companies would be forced to compete in a free market economy and like the cost of computers to cell phone services, with time, the cost would indubitably be driven down.

Way OT. A topic for another thread.

On another unrelated note, Ron Paul is a pure fiscal conservative.

Originally Posted by Michael
Although I am liberal on many causes such as universal health insurance, I'm not sure how I stand on this issue. According to the article, she was making $100,000 per year (over double the medium US salary) before she lost her job and then lost her house. How much he was making was never stated but even if he was making the medium US salary, they were making about $150,000 per year.

Where did the money go? Should US taxpayers who make much less money now pay to take care of people who blew their money on frivolous things and expensive vacations?

Should the government impose mandatory savings for those making over a certain amount of money?

The situation seems to have been created by their freedom to chose how they spent their money when they had a good income.

That is also one of the reasons that I support mandated universal health care/insurance. For many younger people with no assets, it is much cheaper to not pay health insurance premiums (even if subsidized) when they are healthy and if they get seriously sick, someone will take care of him/her and all they need to do is file bankruptcy. So why would someone want to pay non-mandated health insurance premiums (even subsidized) when they can take expensive vacations and buy frivolous things instead since not paying health insurance premiums has always worked so well for them in the past?

In the latest republican debate, Ron Paul came the closest to say "let him die" when asked how to pay the hospital bills (crowd cheered) but backed off when asked directly whether we should let him die by stuttering and then saying "No" (crowd became quiet and some yelled "let him die"). The lady in the article could have possibly been one of those in the tea party crowd cheering if she hadn't lost her job.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:22 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is that battle going on in Essex, Basildon.

I am somewhere a lot colder and know people living in Yurts.
But back to the topic I am always suspicious of this sort of story, stinks of cheap journalism.

And they say there is one in Colorado? I have never heard of it.

As it gets colder most transients here head for warmer parts.
It gets pretty cold in Mongolia.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It gets pretty cold in Mongolia.
I hear there are even people living in ice and snow structures in the Canadian arctic!!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:50 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seriously considering moving back to the UK because the US is starting to feel scary. It's not fantastic back in the UK, but there's a certain level of services (even with the cuts) that makes it a far more civilized country. If you loose your job in the US it can get nasty fast as you loose healthcare too.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

Just a guess, but $100k probably doesn't go very far in NYC surely?

Although I have seen people pay for premium cable and leased premium cars before they pay for their children's health insurance...
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I was volunteering and we were trying to give some help to a woman living out of a beat-up old car with 3 young kids and a dog.

Maybe she 'blew a fortune' and got herself into that situation
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder.

They are talking about Lakewood NJ

There is a Lakewood CO as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.