Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

desperately seeking..........

desperately seeking..........

Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:41 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry don't agree.

Yosser, wife and 2 kids can go to Macydee's for less than $10.00.

Once a week I cook a roast.

$8.00 for a joint of beef.
$2.00 for swede.
$2.00 for carrots.
$3.99 for a bag of spuds (granted not all for just 1 roast).
$2.00 for green beans or cauli.
$2.00 for gravey.
$2.00 for veggie oil.
$2.00 for the ingrediants for yorkshire puds.
$ time it takes for el' yosser to cook "priceless".

your looking at around $22-24 for just one meal, its right bloody tasty and way better than the golden arches, but $25 a night on heathy grub, ain't gonna happen!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:57 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
Sorry don't agree.

Yosser, wife and 2 kids can go to Macydee's for less than $10.00.

Once a week I cook a roast.

$8.00 for a joint of beef.
$2.00 for swede.
$2.00 for carrots.
$3.99 for a bag of spuds (granted not all for just 1 roast).
$2.00 for green beans or cauli.
$2.00 for gravey.
$2.00 for veggie oil.
$2.00 for the ingrediants for yorkshire puds.
$ time it takes for el' yosser to cook "priceless".

your looking at around $22-24 for just one meal, its right bloody tasty and way better than the golden arches, but $25 a night on heathy grub, ain't gonna happen!

Apples and oranges I'm afraid. If One compares a similar meal- burgers fries and drink, here's a better comparison:

$1.79 for 1 lb Ground Chuck- divided into 4 patties
$ .99 for 8 hamburger buns
$ .50-Two potatos to fry
$1.00 for oil, ketchup, picckle and other condiments
$1.00 2 litre soda

about 5 bucks and you have the same meal, with less salt and fat.

There are a myriad of home cooked meals that can be made to feed a family of 4 for under $10, which are healthy and delicious. Especially if you use little meat (legumbes, pasta, veg plates). Hell, with 4 kids my Mom used to squeeze the nickel so hard the indian rode the buffalo- and not surprisingly, all those "cheap" meals are all our favorite meals now that we are adults!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:05 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Apples and oranges I'm afraid. If One compares a similar meal- burgers fries and drink, here's a better comparison:

$1.79 for 1 lb Ground Chuck- divided into 4 patties
$ .99 for 8 hamburger buns
$ .50-Two potatos to fry
$1.00 for oil, ketchup, picckle and other condiments
$1.00 2 litre soda

about 5 bucks and you have the same meal, with less salt and fat.

There are a myriad of home cooked meals that can be made to feed a family of 4 for under $10, which are healthy and delicious. Especially if you use little meat (legumbes, pasta, veg plates). Hell, with 4 kids my Mom used to squeeze the nickel so hard the indian rode the buffalo- and not surprisingly, all those "cheap" meals are all our favorite meals now that we are adults!
don't forget the .50c for washing up liquid

just jesting, fair point. We really try and eat heathy, but its quite expensive still.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, with 4 kids my Mom used to squeeze the nickel so hard the indian rode the buffalo-

Where the hell did THAT quote come from? Not even sure what it means???

Completely agree though.
My wife makes hamburgers that have about 1/10th the fat and salt of the McGrot variety, my kids and any visiting American kids rave over them and they can be made for less than the ready made variety and take less time than getting in the car and driving there!

Now, marketing unhealthy food to kids, I agree is a cheap, mean thing to do. But, placing unhealthy food at eye-level in Walmart, give me a break!, I'm an adult and get temptation of one form or another thrust at me every day (God, I'm sounding like my bible-bashing Southern friends!).
The difference between "then" and "now" is that "bad" food is cheaply available to all - that doesn't mean that everyone has to eat it!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

After living in the UK for a number of years and then moving back here, I was in culture shock big time. I've lived here all my life (with exception of my years in the UK) but after being out of here and then coming back and going grocery shopping, its like egads!! FFS there are 5 million different types of Cheerios!! Let alone it takes a small bank loan everytime I go shopping, and hey I don't buy junk food! I totally agree, you don't have to buy the junk food. Its amazing the people who think because its sold in a store that its ok for you. Plus the misleading "low fat, low carb" bullsh1t!! Honestly, would you buy milk that was labeled "low carb"? Pretty scary stuff to put in your gut. :scared: I remember hearing once that you never want to go into the middle of the grocery store, that's where all the bad stuff is, stay on the outside walls (produce, etc) Perhaps its true.

Anyway, I do miss British food, I got used to it. I remember moving to the UK and having to figure out how to cook over there, I'm now back here and having to figure out how to cook again. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh bloody pain!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by AndySmithers

Old nickels had a buffalo on one side and an indian on the other- I just sold some on ebay today whooo hooooo! Here's a pic http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3922359451
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steff
Old nickels had a buffalo on one side and an indian on the other- I just sold some on ebay today whooo hooooo! Here's a pic http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3922359451
Well, you learn something every day!
How long do you have to be here to get into that kind of lingo?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: desperately seeking..........

Originally posted by southernbelle
does anyone know of any U.S equivalents for...... Squash, Clotted cream, Mcvitties plain chocolate biccies.......
I have not found anything equivalent to what you have listed... Squash (don't ask for squash or you'll be given a veggy) the nearest thing to that is something like cool aid.. it is in a powder form not liquid.

Ash
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have any British food stores near to us and I won't shop on the internet. But there is a few stores nearby that do stock a very limited range of British or Irish foods. Luckily son (19) is over in the UK just now and we gave him a shopping list. Cadbury's chocolate for me and Thorntons diabetic choc for his dad. And some Tesco's sweet pickle (prefer that to Branston )when I can get a hold of it. Marks and Sparks tights for me and Marks socks for his dad. Don't know what the customs guys will make of that little lot.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:14 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree though.
My wife makes hamburgers that have about 1/10th the fat and salt of the McGrot variety, my kids and any visiting American kids rave over them and they can be made for less than the ready made variety and take less time than getting in the car and driving there!

Now, marketing unhealthy food to kids, I agree is a cheap, mean thing to do. But, placing unhealthy food at eye-level in Walmart, give me a break!, I'm an adult and get temptation of one form or another thrust at me every day (God, I'm sounding like my bible-bashing Southern friends!).
The difference between "then" and "now" is that "bad" food is cheaply available to all - that doesn't mean that everyone has to eat it!!!
From the old Buffalo Head nickel of course- Indian head on one side, Buffalo on the other:
Attached Thumbnails desperately seeking..........-bufb37o.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:14 pm
Maño-Americano

From the old Buffalo Head nickel of course- Indian head on one side, Buffalo on the other:
What ever did happen to the poor buffalo's leg? I only see 3!
Attached Thumbnails desperately seeking..........-bufb37r.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:21 pm
Maño-Americano

Well, you learn something every day!
How long do you have to be here to get into that kind of lingo?
It comes shortly after you find yourself saying "Y'all" a lot, and "I would'a could'a, but..." of instead of "taking someone someone in your car" you "Carry'em in yer car"...how long you been in TX? lol
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

It comes shortly after you find yourself saying "Y'all" a lot, and "I would'a could'a, but..." of instead of "taking someone someone in your car" you "Carry'em in yer car"...how long you been in TX? lol
I've been here all of the 4 years in the USA. Just fixin to get my green card!!!!
I'm using the "y'all", "fixin ta", "tomayto"... but just cannot get to writing "mom" like you!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:33 pm
Maño-Americano

I've been here all of the 4 years in the USA. Just fixin to get my green card!!!!
I'm using the "y'all", "fixin ta", "tomayto" ... but just cannot get to writing "mom" like you!
Dem Texicans o'er in Big Piney mus be a mite mer formal den where I'as at in Burnet- der iz jus'a "mayter"
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:44 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using the "y'all", "fixin ta", "tomayto"... but just cannot get to writing "mom" like you!
Wait till you start using widjadidja.

"You didn't bring your truck widjadidja?"

Arrgghhhhh!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.