Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

desperately seeking..........

desperately seeking..........

Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:21 am
Just Joined

southernbelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking desperately seeking..........

having spent a year here in sunny south texas i am loath to start paying monstrous shipping bills to find the things i miss, does anyone know of any U.S equivalents for...... Squash, Clotted cream, Mcvitties plain chocolate biccies....... the list would go on but im probably boring you by now! LOL i know that we have some wonderful "Brit Store's' here but i have been really dissapointed with the goods.... damaged bicies, melted and then cooled chocolate.... HELP ME PLEASE... or i may have to go eat at Taco Cabana!!!!!!! xxxx
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:39 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: desperately seeking..........

Originally posted by southernbelle
having spent a year here in sunny south texas i am loath to start paying monstrous shipping bills to find the things i miss, does anyone know of any U.S equivalents for...... Squash, Clotted cream, Mcvitties plain chocolate biccies....... the list would go on but im probably boring you by now! LOL i know that we have some wonderful "Brit Store's' here but i have been really dissapointed with the goods.... damaged bicies, melted and then cooled chocolate.... HELP ME PLEASE... or i may have to go eat at Taco Cabana!!!!!!! xxxx
stick to taco.. they're yummy
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by southernbelle
Trust me on this... this is the way it will go....

The first year or so you will crave all the English foods, you will buy exorbitant price imports and stand completely dumbfounded in Walmart trying to figure out what you can buy as a "substitute" for what you bought in England.
Then after, say 2 years, you will stop one day and suddenly realize that there's almost nothing you still miss from England in this respect. You will be buying and eating what everyone else does here. What really hits you is if you go back home for a week or so and go shopping there - frantically trying to find "substitutes" for what Walmart sells in Texas!!!!

(None of the above applies to Cadbury's chocolate, Hob Nobs or Sainsburys Red label tea of course
)

Andy.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndySmithers
Trust me on this... this is the way it will go....

The first year or so you will crave all the English foods, you will buy exorbitant price imports and stand completely dumbfounded in Walmart trying to figure out what you can buy as a "substitute" for what you bought in England.
Then after, say 2 years, you will stop one day and suddenly realize that there's almost nothing you still miss from England in this respect. You will be buying and eating what everyone else does here. What really hits you is if you go back home for a week or so and go shopping there - frantically trying to find "substitutes" for what Walmart sells in Texas!!!!

(None of the above applies to Cadbury's chocolate, Hob Nobs or Sainsburys Red label tea of course
)

Andy.
I've been in the US for just over two years now and it's British food I miss the most (excluding friends and family of course).

Foods are very close to the heart for people and I'm sure there's American expats out there living overseas who miss their "taste of home", even if it's something disgusting like an Oreo or Cool Whip.

Everyone's entitled to choose what they eat but to me, it seems American manufacturers are steering the American public to eating unhealthy (sugar, hydrogenated oils, GM ingredients, etc) foods because they are cheaper than healthier options.

e.g. my local Costco and my local grocery store are carrying Dutch grown bell peppers. Comparison of the Dutch pepper and the American pepper reinforce my belief that American vegetables are grown for size, not flavor or texture (American peppers are contain much more water).
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I've been in the US for just over two years now and it's British food I miss the most (excluding friends and family of course).

Foods are very close to the heart for people and I'm sure there's American expats out there living overseas who miss their "taste of home", even if it's something disgusting like an Oreo or Cool Whip.

Everyone's entitled to choose what they eat but to me, it seems American manufacturers are steering the American public to eating unhealthy (sugar, hydrogenated oils, GM ingredients, etc) foods because they are cheaper than healthier options.

e.g. my local Costco and my local grocery store are carrying Dutch grown bell peppers. Comparison of the Dutch pepper and the American pepper reinforce my belief that American vegetables are grown for size, not flavor or texture (American peppers are contain much more water).
To suggest that the manufacturers are "steering" the public to certain foods is patently crazy. American manufacturers, like all businesses, produce what will sel well and what makes the most profit! In other words if the damand is high for high fat, high salt, sweet foods then so will the supply. However there is still a HUGE variety of more healthy foods here, we buy Walmart low salt "cheapo" tomatoes - WAY better than anything in the UK, low salt vegetarian beans (again much better than Heinz), the meat is better and cheaper etc. etc. When you go in the store you choose how you want to eat, the store or manufacturers don't dictate to you!
I think, adding it all up, that we eat healthier here than we did in the UK.
And, you are arguing against your own point, the Dutch peppers may be better than the American ones, but you can buy the Dutch ones here, so how does that mean that the food is less healthy "here" then?

I won't disagree that there will probably always be a small handful of foods that evoke memories and associations with our heritage and that you "worship at the alter of" on trips back to the UK, but, after 4 years here, this group of foodstuffs numbers about 4 items for me - English biscuits, Cadburys chocolate, Marmite, good cheeses - nothing that I miss enough to actively seek out and there are dozens of foodstuffs that I would miss from here if I went back to the UK.

Just another stage of acclimation (acclimatization!) - that's all my point was....
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

OOOOH!....Andy is SO right!!! Most of you are very lucky to have the internet,so that you can find the online stores to get the English 'fix' if you're that desperate!...When I first came over here I was in hospital the first six months and then we didn't have access to the internet for years anyway,in a way maybe that was lucky because I was 'forced' to ignore my cravings!,but I did, and still do,get those cravings!,but I refuse to pay the prices in the internet stores......and find I can usually find something in Walmart to quell the craving! (Also,a 'World Market' finally opened in a nearby town,and although they stopped selling 'my' digestives,they have started selling Branston Pickle!!!!)...so life is finally getting better in my part of the world! (It's only taken 15 years!!!!).........Good Luck......Sophia......(Central Illinois)
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:56 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

To suggest that the manufacturers are "steering" the public to certain foods is patently crazy.
Four words....High Fructose Corn Syrup
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by rincewind
Four words....High Fructose Corn Syrup
Don't understand your point... someone FORCES you to eat this "sugar on speed" do they???
The fact that we are all intelligent enough to be having this conversation means that we are also intelligent enough to choose what we eat.

Man in the African savana - thousands of years ago, had the choice of eating, say, a delicious sweet berry that was a slow poison (as found out by his elders) or a yam patty that was nutritious, healthy but tasteless. Sure today the manufacturers are more sophisticated in tempting us with high profit junk but then we are also more sophisticated in understanding what's good for us and what isn't.

My point is simply that the choices in the USA are easily as great (if not greater) than in the UK for healthy living.

Andy.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:30 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that we are all intelligent enough to be having this conversation means that we are also intelligent enough to choose what we eat.
I agree accept that most people are unaware of the reasons why such ingrediants are used. Cheap and sweet and a possible link between diabetes and obesity in the US. However, you are right in that people have a choice so why don't they make it?

Shelves are stocked with a variety of stuff. For the most though, the healthier it is, the more expensive it is and a low income family has no choice.

I'm not sure of my point either. Just rambling today
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

I agree accept that most people are unaware of the reasons why such ingrediants are used. Cheap and sweet and a possible link between diabetes and obesity in the US. However, you are right in that people have a choice so why don't they make it?

Shelves are stocked with a variety of stuff. For the most though, the healthier it is, the more expensive it is and a low income family has no choice.

Still miss Cadburys whole nut, though!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:38 pm
You Are All Diseased

Still miss Cadburys whole nut, though!!!
More of a fruit and nut man myself

Is it me, or does that statement sound bad?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

More of a fruit and nut man myself

Is it me, or does that statement sound bad?
If the cap fits........

My daughter recently returned from a vacation in the UK (16 years old, first time she had flown by herself :scared: ). We asked her to bring nothing back except chocolate - she brought 1 (yes, ONE) flake!!!
It was like feeding time in the crocodile pit on that Bond movie!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

To suggest that the manufacturers are "steering" the public to certain foods is patently crazy. American manufacturers, like all businesses, produce what will sel well and what makes the most profit! In other words if the damand is high for high fat, high salt, sweet foods then so will the supply. However there is still a HUGE variety of more healthy foods here, we buy Walmart low salt "cheapo" tomatoes - WAY better than anything in the UK, low salt vegetarian beans (again much better than Heinz), the meat is better and cheaper etc. etc. When you go in the store you choose how you want to eat, the store or manufacturers don't dictate to you!
<<snip>>
Nobody can resist a bargain. Why do you think Walmart is so popular? It certainly ain't because of the greeters

Why do fast food chains and breakfast cereals (loaded with colors and sugars) have tie-ins with children orientated films, TV characters & Disney?

Why do manufacturers pay to have their products strategically located within grocery stores? i.e. eye level, at the end of aisles.

I can't remember the correct term but it's about "marketing psychology". Utilizing the knowledge about human behaviors to make big bucks.

You don't see movie tie-ins for pure fruit juice, water or fresh vegetables do you? I've never spotted anything like that.

Maybe your family is eating more healthy in the UK but let's look at the big picture, the American public.

It's debatable that ADHD, the rise of diabetes and obesity are the result of poor diet (and lack of exercise).
Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
even if it's something disgusting like an Oreo or Cool Whip.
Hey, that's food of the Gods I'll have you know.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:22 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree- if the low inclome family want to prepare "fast food" such as Hamburger Helper, Pizza, frozen lasana or such, it costs them more than if they buy a lb of hamburger box of rice and mushroom soup and make the same thing. It is the convient fast food that most often is loaded with fat, sodium and monosodium fatassinates. Cook dinner like our Moms did and they'll save $$ and be healthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.