Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperately need help!

Desperately need help!

Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperately need help!

Originally Posted by Manc
It's not for the OP to do, it's for his mums travel insurance to do if they are to subrogate their costs against his rental dwelling policy.
Sounds like a fine mess, and the transatlantic component will quadruple it!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:45 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
It's not for the OP to do, it's for his mums travel insurance to do if they are to subrogate their costs against his rental dwelling policy.
the problem the op seems to have it that he has decided he doesn't want his mother to go home. i would of thought that he does not have much say in this,
she is here on the vwp and is covered by travel insurance, now that she has had an accident the insurance company will decide when she is fit to travel. if they as her relatives decide she is not returning to the uk would that not then cancel the insurance.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Sounds like a fine mess, and the transatlantic component will quadruple it!
well at least the value of the dollar is working in favour of the travel insurance company.
I will be looking to find out what dollar amount limit the travel insurance consists of.

also who will be paying for the rehab if the travel insurance co won't?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by fetchfelix
Im new to this forum, & know this is the 1st place I might find good advice. My Mum arrived from the UK to stay Christmas with me, Im now a US Citizen & have lived here 11years. Unfortunately she fell down my stairs sustaining a severe head trauma. Thankfully she is recovering very well, & today will probably go to a Rehab hospital. My wife & I are both nurses & doubt very much that she will return to the UK any time soon, & quite probably never.
There are so many questions regarding the future! Where do we start? Anyway right now Im interested in anything people could suggest that might impact this situation. Obviously she is not insured, other than her travel insurance. Can we get NHS funds sent here? Can we get her pension sent here? What sort of visa would we need to apply for. Can we get insurance here? We cant be the 1st people that this has happened to, so any help or advice would be gratefully recieved! Thanks.

Clive
Hi I am sorry to hear about your mums fall I hope she gets well soon. I don't think she will be covered by insurance here in the US as she is not a resident The question you asked about her travel insurance I think she has to be back in the UK to actually claim any money back and she needs to have the doctor’s full report. You normally get about a month to claim when you return but read she agreement.It will also depend on what kind of cover she had normally you need to take out full cover to come to the US. I would take the others advise and claim of the house insurance as your cost is going to get so high if your mum is in a care center as you will probably know. I have had a look at both these web sites before and maybe you should have a read to see if it can give you any advice on her pension and NHS they have a lot of different links I hope this will help. This one is for the NHS (department of health) www.dh.gov.uk/Home/fs/en and www.dss.gov.uk has a lot of info.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

fetchfelix is an unknown quantity at this point

This is certainly an interesting discussion. I had a long conversation with the Case Manager involved, & she has already applied for Medical Assist which apparently can be granted even to aliens if there is genuine medical need. I doubt very much that there will be any lawsuit. The fall was witnessed - my Mum passed out, & then fell down the stairs. She didnt trip, & the property is fine. I certainly wouldnt sue my landlord, & certainly wouldnt assist the travel company in doing so. All the paperwork clearly shows she passed out before she fell.
As I say, the rehab & even the facility I work in wont kick her out. The worst that can happen is she has to start paying the bills with assets liquidated from the UK. Her care so far is probably $25-$50k at most & she can get that from her house sale at least. Manc is right that once the insurance company says she's fit to fly then they will stop paying her bills - thats fine. Ultimately she is my & my brothers responsibility. I know for a fact that her home city has vertually no rehab for severe head injury, sending her back to the UK may kill her off quicker - definately the NHS way!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

& she has already applied for Medical Assist which apparently can be granted even to aliens if there is genuine medical need.
You should check that receiving Medical Assist won't prevent her from becoming a permenant resident. Some benefits will prevent her future application... I have no idea whether this is one of them. And neither will the CM -- you need legal advice for this one.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:01 pm
Septicity

Fetchfelix,

What are you planning to do visa-wise. Is mum staying permenantly or what?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

This is certainly an interesting discussion.
that it has, and a situation I wouldn't wish on anyone.

The fall was witnessed - my Mum passed out, & then fell down the stairs. She didnt trip, & the property is fine.
as I said, accidents also do happen
As I say, the rehab & even the facility I work in wont kick her out. The worst that can happen is she has to start paying the bills with assets liquidated from the UK. Her care so far is probably $25-$50k at most & she can get that from her house sale at least.
I wouldn't sell any house until she has a visa in hand..........
she don't wanna sell the house only to be denied the visa to go back to the UK with nowhere to live.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

fetchfelix is an unknown quantity at this point

>>>>>>>>.I wouldn't sell any house until she has a visa in hand..........
she don't wanna sell the house only to be denied the visa to go back to the UK with nowhere to live<<<<<<<

I understand this, but recall that she wont be going back to that house anyway most likely. Maybe we should try & rent it out? Maybe that will cover her costs. I understand it will take years to get a Green card through me, but if she is flown home its doubtful she would ever be allowed (by the airline) to fly back. While your visa is being adjucated you can remain in the country, so long as you entered legally, which she did.
I have no plans at all yet - this all happened less than a week ago. My mum has to decide whether she wants to try & stay with us, or us try & take her to the UK & find her assisted living or nursing home there. Thats no easy thing either, I've just used FMLA for adoption so I cant just go back to the UK to help her out. Her next door neighbour who checks on her, is also moving to Australia for 3months!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:19 pm
Septicity

I understand it will take years to get a Green card through me,
Info about how to do it here.

Strikes me you will need an experienced immigration lawyer pronto. Go here.

It won't take years if it goes at all -- six to nine months would be a better guesstimate.

Good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Im new to this forum, & know this is the 1st place I might find good advice. My Mum arrived from the UK to stay Christmas with me, Im now a US Citizen & have lived here 11years. Unfortunately she fell down my stairs sustaining a severe head trauma. Thankfully she is recovering very well, & today will probably go to a Rehab hospital. My wife & I are both nurses & doubt very much that she will return to the UK any time soon, & quite probably never.
There are so many questions regarding the future! Where do we start? Anyway right now Im interested in anything people could suggest that might impact this situation. Obviously she is not insured, other than her travel insurance. Can we get NHS funds sent here? Can we get her pension sent here? What sort of visa would we need to apply for. Can we get insurance here? We cant be the 1st people that this has happened to, so any help or advice would be gratefully recieved! Thanks.

Clive
Sadly this happened to a workmate of mine a few years ago. His mum came over for a visit, fell down stairs and broke her arm. On further investigation at the hospital it was discovered that she had terminal cancer. Only herself and her doctor in Scotland knew, she had come to see her son for one last time and intended to go home. Anyway, they could not treat her for the cancer. They set her arm and sent her home to her sons house in Philly (he was in the Brit military serving here at the time). They had to put her into a nursing home for a couple of weeks as she went downhill rapidly and became incontinent etc. What they approached the Co that had insured her for her flight over to the US. It was a small obscure Swedish Co of all things but they came out on top. They flew her back to the UK with an onflight nurse in attendance and her son and got her into hospital back in her own home town. Sadly she died a short time later, but in your case, go to the insurers and see what they can do, they might just surprise you.