Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Originally Posted by Pulaski
True. If Hannah is going to succeed in her ambition she's going to face a lot more adversity than a bit of banter from some semi-house trained expats who've "been there and done that". We've got all the time in the world to help people, but we are easily wound up by people who have wildly unrealistic plans and expectations.

If you can't deal with a degree of frustration and disappointment then emigration probably isn't for you. And on a 100 point scale of frustration and disappointment, where 100 is abject and irreversible failure, in all honesty the moderately boisterous posts on this thread surely haven't rated more than a "2".
Perhaps the banter would have been a bit easier to take had she got the chance to know the forum and people before the braying pack of dogs went for her jugular...
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:50 am
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

True. If Hannah is going to succeed in her ambition she's going to face a lot more adversity than a bit of banter from some semi-house trained expats who've "been there and done that". We've got all the time in the world to help people, but we are easily wound up by people who have wildly unrealistic plans and expectations.

If you can't deal with a degree of frustration and disappointment then emigration probably isn't for you. And on a 100 point scale of frustration and disappointment, where 100 is abject and irreversible failure, in all honesty the moderately boisterous posts on this thread surely haven't rated more than a "2".
Personally I don't think her frustration was directed towards the difficult emigration process she faced. In my opinion her frustration was with the posters who were just downright disrespectful in some cases. It's a shame she was treated like that.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treasuredr
Personally I don't think her frustration was directed towards the difficult emigration process she faced. In my opinion her frustration was with the posters who were just downright disrespectful in some cases. It's a shame she was treated like that.
I agree, I don't think the way she was treated was fairly, but my point was (is) that she is going to find a lot more adversity if she pursues her dream than she experienced here over the past 48 hours.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Perhaps the banter would have been a bit easier to take had she got the chance to know the forum and people before the braying pack of dogs went for her jugular...
That's right...clique...yadda yadda.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's right...clique...yadda yadda.
You said, Sal... not me! I just called you all a braying pack of dogs. If that's a clique to you, then knock yourself out dear.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You said, Sal... not me! I just called you all a braying pack of dogs. If that's a clique to you, then knock yourself out dear.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:14 am
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, I don't think the way she was treated was fairly, but my point was (is) that she is going to find a lot more adversity if she pursues her dream than she experienced here over the past 48 hours.

Very true, she will. I hope she makes it, and perhaps if she does, she might be forgiving enough to come back and let us know how
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:27 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else predict the way this one was going to go by halfway down page 2?

Originally Posted by Hannah83
Obviously I'm talking from experience of americans I know working where I live. Obviously I don't know as I have no need to try and emigrate into my own country. I only see with my eyes and its simply an opinion. I'm sure I'm allowed to make a comment aren't I?! Isn't that what a forum is for? Comments, opinions, advise? I'm not making bold statements and printing them as fact. Goodness, you're afraid to say anything on here without upsetting people!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:51 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treasuredr
Very true, she will. I hope she makes it, and perhaps if she does, she might be forgiving enough to come back and let us know how
Both valid points, I agree ... and on that note I think it's time to bring this thread to an end.

In closing, my two cents worth ....... Banter is one thing .. but as others have noted this was a new member and it would have been a good thing to break in her gently.

I know that you are all great people who have helped many a passing stranger, as well as our long term BE regulars .... but that may not have come out loud and clear to the OP .. which is a shame.