Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure what that means. Not everyone has the luxury of only moving when a company will guarantee expatriate benefits and a high life style. Many (including Brits) move to third world countries because of their dream and some remain there for life.

I'm not referring to Brits but anyone that has a dream. The dream my not be what was envisioned but at least they tried. Life is too short to regret not trying.
It makes no odds to me what people do with their lives. Just trying (and obviously failing) to point out that spending years and a lot of money chasing something which only exists in the imagination may be somewhat pointless.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It makes no odds to me what people do with their lives. Just trying (and obviously failing) to point out that spending years and a lot of money chasing something which only exists in the imagination may be somewhat pointless.
In my opinion, it is also pointless living in a place where a person is unhappy just because they can make a better living and have a better lifestyle there. I tend to see many more people that feel trapped over materialism.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
I've often wondered why some people want to leave the UK to live in the US when most things are free there, there's very little for free in the US , unless they don't realize it until after they've arrived.

What things are "free" there?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
In my opinion, it is also pointless living in a place where a person is unhappy just because they can make a better living and have a better lifestyle there. I tend to see many more people that feel trapped over materialism.
The USA is not usually a place someone moves to for a less materialistic lifestyle.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The USA is not usually a place someone moves to for a less materialistic lifestyle.
So are you saying that the US has nothing to offer except materialism?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

tnguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The text of the Bill is quite clear, the alien must by a preponderance of evidence prove that they were in the US before Dec 31, 2011 and maintained a continuous presence. "Undocumented" or not, if they want to take advantage of this they must provide documentation to that effect, rent receipts perhaps.
I'm sure $500 to $1000 to the right hands will take care of that nicely. Maybe even less.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What things are "free" there?
National Health Service?
Just Joined

Don't forget Britons are fed a constant diet of 'This country is screwed, get out now', downplaying its significant good points.
The country *is* screwed. Unfortunately, that's also true of most available destinations.
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
National Health Service?
Someone's paying for it. If you think it's "free" then the US is probably not the place for you.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tnguy
Someone's paying for it. If you think it's "free" then the US is probably not the place for you.
Well that's good. Because I'm not moving to the USA.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice, concentrate on coming out here a couple of times a year on holiday rather than looking at ways of trying to live out here, which is probably going to end in disappointment unfortunately.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
National Health Service?
So no one pays for it? It's absolutely free?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So no one pays for it? It's absolutely free?
It is free at the point of service.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is free at the point of service.
But it's not "free" When Ruthie commented that there were "a lot of free things" in the UK, I take that as they cost no money to anyone. But we all know that's not true. It will cost someone, something.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

While Sally's posts may seem like she is putting a downer on moving to the US, many points are valid.

You're lucky to have just enjoyed a long road trip in the States, something that presumably you took a minimum of 2 weeks vacation to do. If you move here that 2 weeks will be your entire annual vacation, and there is a high chance that you could work for a company that would frown on you taking 2 weeks off work in one go.

These things sound petty, but once you live here you often realize the things you took for granted in the UK are things you very much miss (and resent not having) here.

I still think this poster is in the 'Eastenders dream' category and will not necessarily be doing herself any favours by 'plugging away' endlessly. Enjoy what you already have, which obviously already includes long holidays in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.