Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Originally Posted by Hannah83
So I have "no talent" to offer but can just reel in an American man, marry him and live like an old fish wife? Hmmmm tempted............ Think I'll keep trying thanks!

Yes, most definitely. More research and networking. This is the track I am on now, makes a lot more sense. Thanks.
Amazing, isn't it? But oh so true...

Of course I was the "fish wife" to my British husband, but it all worked out well!

Anyway, I don't have any tidbits to help, sorry. But I admire your conviction to keep plugging away! Wish you the very best and with your determination, maybe you'll figure out a way.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Canada had a better economy, job prospects etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Hannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I had been wondering when the 'move to Canada!' advice would surface. It seems to pop up on every 'desperately want to move to the US' thread. (usually in tandem with 'I see wedding bells in your future')

Canadian citizenship would be of no benefit to the OP because getting a TN visa requires her to have professional qualifications recognized under NAFTA. Hair styling and journalism aren't.

Canada would be a very poor route to the US: it usually takes over 5 years to go from a Canadian visa to Canadian citizenship. Which assumes the OP would qualify for a Canadian visa, which is by no means a given.

News flash: Canada isn't the US. Both may look the same from the UK, but trust me, they aren't. People, attitudes, the economy, the employment market, climate all are generally vastly different from the US. Would the OP be willing to stick it out for over 5 years in a foreign country she didn't want to be in?
Please excuse my forum ignorance, but what is OP?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Hannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Amazing, isn't it? But oh so true...

Of course I was the "fish wife" to my British husband, but it all worked out well!

Anyway, I don't have any tidbits to help, sorry. But I admire your conviction to keep plugging away! Wish you the very best and with your determination, maybe you'll figure out a way.
Hee hee - thanks Amerlisa! I'm glad it all worked out well for you :-D here's hoping! Don't get me wrong, if my partner had enough of a wage for me to be able to stay at home and start a family while working part time hours I'd be there like a shot! X
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Please excuse my forum ignorance, but what is OP?
OP = original poster ie. you
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
OP = original poster ie. you
Ahhhhhhh. Well look at that. I have learned something new! Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

tnguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously I'm talking from experience of americans I know working where I live. Obviously I don't know as I have no need to try and emigrate into my own country. I only see with my eyes and its simply an opinion. I'm sure I'm allowed to make a comment aren't I?! Isn't that what a forum is for? Comments, opinions, advise? I'm not making bold statements and printing them as fact. Goodness, you're afraid to say anything on here without upsetting people!
You're not really seeing the whole story though. If you're referring to foreign immigration being a problem in the UK, be aware that the US has approximately 12 million Mexican illegal immigrants and is currently halfway through passing legislation that would give them amnesty.

So, in fact, that may be be your best answer. Quick holiday in Cancun then up across the Rio Grande or slip a few hundred to a coyote.

Though in seriousness, apparently a significant (if not large) proportion of people entering the US this way are Eastern Europeans, not all Mexicans.

Last edited by tnguy; Jul 2nd 2013 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

You might be sincere in your stated ambition but what you want is irrelevant to everyone else but you. The problem you face is that, unless you have close American family of one sort or another, the USA is generally only interested in immigrants with lots of money or exceptional talent. And with the greatest of respect, that doesn't sound like you.
There is also the green card lottery (of Canter and Siegel fame). Unfortunately, when I looked into this for someone, it seems it is very skewed towards people from disadvantaged nations and if you're from a first world country, this won't be helpful to you.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tnguy
There is also the green card lottery (of Canter and Siegel fame). Unfortunately, when I looked into this for someone, it seems it is very skewed towards people from disadvantaged nations and if you're from a first world country, this won't be helpful to you.
Yeah, I've looked into that and us Brits are out! Too many of us trying to get there see ;-) ill be getting a complex with all this rejection and blacklisting! Hahahaha ha maybe I'll have to find me that coyote after all!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've looked into that and us Brits are out! Too many of us trying to get there see ;-) ill be getting a complex with all this rejection and blacklisting! Hahahaha ha maybe I'll have to find me that coyote after all!
I wouldn't take it to heart. For the vast majority of people, a move to the USA is impossible because they don't fit the criteria. It's just a hard fact of life.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Despite what you may see on Eastenders.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

I wouldn't take it to heart. For the vast majority of people, a move to the USA is impossible because they don't fit the criteria. It's just a hard fact of life.
Legally.

Seems a lot of people are making the move now with the expectation of Amnesty.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Legally.

Seems a lot of people are making the move now with the expectation of Amnesty.
Not unless they have a time machine or some other way of proving they were here before the cut off date. If you are trying to suggest people are now emigrating on the chance there may be another amnesty in 10-20 years that's not exactly an easy life to lead.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

They are by definition undocumented.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
They are by definition undocumented.
The text of the Bill is quite clear, the alien must by a preponderance of evidence prove that they were in the US before Dec 31, 2011 and maintained a continuous presence. "Undocumented" or not, if they want to take advantage of this they must provide documentation to that effect, rent receipts perhaps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.