Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate for childcare advice/explanation of US school system pls

Desperate for childcare advice/explanation of US school system pls

Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Desperate for childcare advice/explanation of US school system pls

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're both right. Interviews are frequently done using Skype... and if they like what they see/hear, there will be a second round of interviews for people on the short list. At some point, they will want to see you in person - but if they really want you, they'll pay for the trip.
Absolutely. This is how my company operates.
Initial interviews with recruiters and hiring manager over the phone or Skype. Next round with current employees in foreign country (big company so they have employees everywhere).
If they pass that test, then they get flown to California (company pays) to run the gauntlet of about 8 interviews in a day for a couple of days.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for childcare advice/explanation of US school system pls

My husband had an interview over the phone from the UK and was hired, but he was also related to the boss which helped :-)

He moved to the US two months before I came out with the kids. It actually worked really well - he could work long days and do things like find a house for us to live in, research school districts, buy a car, etc.

In terms of childcare there are loads of options. When I went back to work here I had a 7yo, 5yo and 3yo. We've done a mixture of school + after-school care, full day nursery, co-op nursery + childminder, nanny.

During the summer (which is 10-11 weeks long) there are lots of college students looking for summer nannying jobs. I'm currently paying $600 a week for a nanny to look after my three kids full-time.