Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Design of the UK Passport issued in D.C within the last month?

Design of the UK Passport issued in D.C within the last month?

Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default Design of the UK Passport issued in D.C within the last month?

So I received my new UK passport a few weeks ago and used it subsequently to travel to the UK, though not without trouble. When I handed my passport to the officer, he was very surprised that it had been issued in August of 2011. He said that the 'design' was old and no new passports were being printed in that design, at least for more than a year. He said that my passport was 'suspect'. A few minutes later and I was finally permitted to leave. I was wondering if anyone who recently received their passport from the Embassy in D.C. have the new style UK Passport or the old one.

Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Design of the UK Passport issued in D.C within the last month?

Originally Posted by BILDER
When I handed my passport to the officer, he was very surprised that it had been issued in August of 2011. He said that the 'design' was old and no new passports were being printed in that design, at least for more than a year. He said that my passport was 'suspect'.
Well, he clearly didn't know what he was talking about ...

According to the Home Office web site the new passport didn't even start to be phased in until October 2010 and it also makes clear that "some customers will get the current passport during this time of transition" (although it doesn't indicate just how long that transition might be).

I seem to recall this happening before and that the US was still issuing passports without chips in them for quite a while after they were first introduced.

A few minutes later and I was finally permitted to leave.
... presumably after he asked someone else who told him that he was being an idiot ...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Design of the UK Passport issued in D.C within the last month?

Bilder,

Overseas passport operations (such as the one in Washington) only issued the old style passports. From 29 September 2011, all passport printing is undertaken in the UK and passports will be issued in the new design (see our announcement on the UKinUSA website about this: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa). Note: You'll still apply for your passport through the Passport Office in Washington though.

I can only assume that the Immigration Officer was having a bad day.

Dean
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, he clearly didn't know what he was talking about ...
Which, from my experience with UK immigration officers, is the case about 90% of the time.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Ok, great stuff Dean and Marocco. Thanks for answering!