Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Des (very nearly) in Florida - 1 week to go!

Des (very nearly) in Florida - 1 week to go!

Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of
Default Des (very nearly) in Florida - 1 week to go!

Hi all, A whirlwind (or perhaps that should be hurricane!) of activity in the last few days as we prepare for our move next weekend. Cars now sold (thanks ebay) 17 people watching our washing machine on ebay too, all sorts of trips to the tip (takes ages now you have to use 8 different skips for a boot full of junk) and down to some details such as dont wear any clothes from now on we want to take with us as oppose to ship in the container. Goodbyes are starting, painful, painful. It is feeling very close. Beginning to sort change of addresses and stopping various services / direct debits and so on, every provider wants it done a different way it seems. Got all my photos off the PC onto memory stick, local cancer shop has done very well with some unused clothes and other videos / dvds. So it seems we are getting there although everywhere we turn there is another job to do! Battling with some payment issues on utilities on the house we are already renting in FL and not yet living there - have received very high (eye watering) water and electric bills - kind landlord must have chilled the place for our arrival at fridge like temperatures and left the sprinker on - lovely. Tried to pay Tampa electric over the phone but no customer service to talk to, a 7 minute automated call process ending with "enter the 5 digit zip code for the billing address for your credit card" failed miserably when my 7 digit UK post code was rudely rejected. Fedex a check I thought - great until Fedex say they wont send anything to a PO Box number! So used good old air mail - hope my check arrives in time or may get cut off before we get there! At the prices we are paying that actually wouldn't unduly upset me! One job we are really enjoying is running down the overstock of booze we have, i think necessary medicine for the week ahead. Good weekends all. Des
Old Jun 26th 2010, 7:40 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Des (very nearly) in Florida - 1 week to go!

He he. I remember those times, too.

Enjoy the excitement.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Des
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

This takes me back - really stressful time - but you will get there in the end! Good Luck !
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

flagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud of

Good luck with the move-hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Des, you may want to 'stock up' on your booze once you get to this side of the pond!...Let the fun begin

Good luck sweety, hope the goodbyes don't stress you out too much, just make yourself believe, you are just going on holiday!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desinflorida
One job we are really enjoying is running down the overstock of booze we have, i think necessary medicine for the week ahead. Good weekends all. Des
Oh dear I remember that night so well, my head hurts just thinking about it!

Good luck, it's a horrible thing to do just concentrate on the end result.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to tackle one task at a time at this stage of the move and do the best you can. The week will go really fast so don't let things stress you out too much. If you are only a week away from getting here what you can't do this side will wait until you are here without too much hassle.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget - dentist checkup - and hairdressing appt this week - so you can safely leave it a while once you arrive in the usa.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh sounds so familiar, I think we're living parallel lives this week Des. I leave next Monday and apart from the Florida quirks I could just post ................... ditto ditto ditto

Good luck with the rest of the clearing and moving.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Have less than 10 days till our big move too. It finally hit me last night; so far I've been saying the words "We're moving to the PNW" and it's not really registered but last night I got the big OMFG when I thought about it. So now I'm massively excited and very nervous too.
I've still to sell my car (husbands is going to webuyanycar.com) so will have to try eBay, autotrader just isn't working. Packers are coming on Monday and think it will only take them a max of 2 days to pack as we're bringing very little with us (using the move as an excuse to replace all our old knackered mis-matched furniture).
We're visiting friends on Friday to say goodbye, my brother's on Saturday and then my in-laws on the Sunday. We're trying to decide what to do with the in-laws who we feel are going to insist on coming to the airport. I know his mother will cry and I don't want our kids to see it.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, I move next weekend too....
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow lots of arriving with our MBE's next week after next then!!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with the move.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Chigwellessex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Have less than 10 days till our big move too. It finally hit me last night; so far I've been saying the words "We're moving to the PNW" and it's not really registered but last night I got the big OMFG when I thought about it. So now I'm massively excited and very nervous too.
I've still to sell my car (husbands is going to webuyanycar.com) so will have to try eBay, autotrader just isn't working. Packers are coming on Monday and think it will only take them a max of 2 days to pack as we're bringing very little with us (using the move as an excuse to replace all our old knackered mis-matched furniture).
We're visiting friends on Friday to say goodbye, my brother's on Saturday and then my in-laws on the Sunday. We're trying to decide what to do with the in-laws who we feel are going to insist on coming to the airport. I know his mother will cry and I don't want our kids to see it.
Originally Posted by Desinflorida
Hi all, A whirlwind (or perhaps that should be hurricane!) of activity in the last few days as we prepare for our move next weekend. Cars now sold (thanks ebay) 17 people watching our washing machine on ebay too, all sorts of trips to the tip (takes ages now you have to use 8 different skips for a boot full of junk) and down to some details such as dont wear any clothes from now on we want to take with us as oppose to ship in the container. Goodbyes are starting, painful, painful. It is feeling very close. Beginning to sort change of addresses and stopping various services / direct debits and so on, every provider wants it done a different way it seems. Got all my photos off the PC onto memory stick, local cancer shop has done very well with some unused clothes and other videos / dvds. So it seems we are getting there although everywhere we turn there is another job to do! Battling with some payment issues on utilities on the house we are already renting in FL and not yet living there - have received very high (eye watering) water and electric bills - kind landlord must have chilled the place for our arrival at fridge like temperatures and left the sprinker on - lovely. Tried to pay Tampa electric over the phone but no customer service to talk to, a 7 minute automated call process ending with "enter the 5 digit zip code for the billing address for your credit card" failed miserably when my 7 digit UK post code was rudely rejected. Fedex a check I thought - great until Fedex say they wont send anything to a PO Box number! So used good old air mail - hope my check arrives in time or may get cut off before we get there! At the prices we are paying that actually wouldn't unduly upset me! One job we are really enjoying is running down the overstock of booze we have, i think necessary medicine for the week ahead. Good weekends all. Des