Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Depressing question about Greencards :(

Wikiposts

Depressing question about Greencards :(

Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Depressing question about Greencards :(

Originally Posted by De Carabas
Wow, you guys are great. I post this in the wrong forum, and I still get responses. Thanks very much!

OK, so I checked my card and it is valid for 10 years, which I have been informed (via your good selves and the Immigration forum) means that I can safely bid a fond farewell to Mrs. de Carabas, and indeed, the horse she rode in on too.

May God bless her, and all who sail in her.

Have a fine old (batchelor) time here in the USA. Of course you now have the advantage should you happen across a fine American single lady that you wont need to jump through the USCIS hoops to get married...you can just do it! For this you can thank the (soon to be ex?) Mrs de Carabas.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I checked my card and it is valid for 10 years, which I have been informed (via your good selves and the Immigration forum) means that I can safely bid a fond farewell to Mrs. de Carabas, and indeed, the horse she rode in on too.
In 4 years and 9 months from the issue date file your N400 and get citizenship ..
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I have, as it says on the tin, a depressing question about greencards.

Now, before everyone moans and runs for the door, it is not about how to get one....I already have my change of permanent resident status, and my funky little plastic ID card as well..... no, my question is about being able to keep the blessed thing.

In short, my wife and I moved here to the States five years ago. She came on an L-1and I got a delightful l-2 Spousal visa. OK, so time goes by, yadda yadda yadda, her company applies for (sponsors) and obtains her greencard, along with mine courtesy of my spousal status.... so far, so good eh?

Anywho.... things do not work out all that well between the old ball and chain and I. Suffice to say, she ... er ... retired back to the UK in the company of a gentleman friend.

SO, the question I have is:

Given that my greencard was obtained on the back (so to speak) of my wife's L-1 authorised Greencard application, if I choose to divorce the dear, dear lady, will the IRS then come and revoke my greencard?

Answers/advice/commiserations all gratefully received....

Glad your green card etc. is all ok. But what I really meant was that I think you have the potential to be funny so won't you please stay and join in the lunacy?

Welcome to the site, too.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:32 am
Fool of a Took

De Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really nice

It would be my pleasure Winter.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

istoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the rough

In honor of you, I offer the following quotes:

"Women are like elephants. Everyone likes to look at them but no-one likes to have to keep one."
WC Fields

"My wife is the sort of woman who gives necrophillia a bad name."
Patrick Murray

"Women should be obscene and not heard."
Groucho Marx

"Women's intuition is the result of millions of years of not thinking."
Rupert Hughes

"Women: Can't live with them, can't bury them in the back yard without the neighbours seeing."
Sean Williamson

"Women should have labels on their foreheads saying, 'Government Health Warning: women can seriously damage your brains, genitals, current account, confidence, razor blades, and good standing among your friends'."
Jeffrey Bernard

"A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke."
Groucho Marx

"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."
HL Mencken

"Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel."
Leonardo Di Vinci

"I don't think I'll get married again. I'll just find a woman I don't like and give her a house."
Lewis Grizzard

"I've had bad luck with both my wives. The first one left me and the second one didn't."
Patrick Murray

"I wouldn't be caught dead marrying a woman old enough to be my wife."
Tony Curtis

"Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays."
Henry Youngman

"I never knew what real happiness was until I got married, and by then it was too late."
Max Kaufman

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
Oscar Wilde

"Dammit sir, it's your duty to get married. You can't be always living for pleasure."
Oscar Wilde

"Do you know what it means to come home at night to a woman who'll give you a little love, a little affection, a little tenderness? It means you're in the wrong house, that's what it means."
George Burns

"Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife."
Groucho Marx

"When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her."
Sacha Guitry

"The poor wish to be rich, the rich wish to be happy, the single wish to be married, and the married wish to be dead."
Ann Landers

"My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."
Socrates

"My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe."
Jimmy Durante

"Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution yet."
Mae West

"It was a perfect marriage. She didn't want to and he couldn't."
Spike Milligan

"Love is temporary insanity curable by marriage."
Ambrose Bierce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:57 am
Fool of a Took

De Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really nice

"When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her."
Sacha Guitry

Well, that one sure hits the mark!

Cheers!

deCarabas.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

One I've always liked, but can't remember the source ....

Bought the wife a chair last Christmas - she still hasn't plugged it in though.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It would be my pleasure Winter.

When you're feeling brave, try The Lounge. It has an international flavour. Some of the posters are, apparently, out of their minds (not me of course), but there are also a lot of good conversations.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
When you're feeling brave, try The Lounge. It has an international flavour. Some of the posters are, apparently, out of their minds (not me of course), but there are also a lot of good conversations.
can tell you've not been around much

ha ha.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
can tell you've not been around much

ha ha.

Have you no discretion man? I'm trying to lure a new poster into The Lounge and get him to stick around. Sshh!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Have you no discretion man?
not recently.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
not recently.
I should cut back on the Mad Dog 20/20 then.