Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Depressing question about Greencards :(

Wikiposts

Depressing question about Greencards :(

Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:01 am
Fool of a Took

De Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really nice
Default Depressing question about Greencards :(

Hello all,

I have, as it says on the tin, a depressing question about greencards.

Now, before everyone moans and runs for the door, it is not about how to get one....I already have my change of permanent resident status, and my funky little plastic ID card as well..... no, my question is about being able to keep the blessed thing.

In short, my wife and I moved here to the States five years ago. She came on an L-1and I got a delightful l-2 Spousal visa. OK, so time goes by, yadda yadda yadda, her company applies for (sponsors) and obtains her greencard, along with mine courtesy of my spousal status.... so far, so good eh?

Anywho.... things do not work out all that well between the old ball and chain and I. Suffice to say, she ... er ... retired back to the UK in the company of a gentleman friend.

SO, the question I have is:

Given that my greencard was obtained on the back (so to speak) of my wife's L-1 authorised Greencard application, if I choose to divorce the dear, dear lady, will the IRS then come and revoke my greencard?

Answers/advice/commiserations all gratefully received....
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:02 am
Fool of a Took

De Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really niceDe Carabas is just really nice
Default Re: Depressing question about Greencards :(

D'oh! Just realised that I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Sorry about that...please go on about your business.......
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:07 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you have a Permanent Resident Card.

I believe you are fine.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

You're a PR in your own right regardless of being E34 category on the card. You keep it (and lose it) on your own merits (ie stay a PR, dont commit crimes etc).

Im the same (But my missus is still here with me).
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:58 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

What is the expiration date on your greencard?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ScousePete
What is the expiration date on your greencard?
I would imagine its sometime around 2014/15 judging by his post.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:54 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by De Carabas
Hello all,

I have, as it says on the tin, a depressing question about greencards.

Now, before everyone moans and runs for the door, it is not about how to get one....I already have my change of permanent resident status, and my funky little plastic ID card as well..... no, my question is about being able to keep the blessed thing.

In short, my wife and I moved here to the States five years ago. She came on an L-1and I got a delightful l-2 Spousal visa. OK, so time goes by, yadda yadda yadda, her company applies for (sponsors) and obtains her greencard, along with mine courtesy of my spousal status.... so far, so good eh?

Anywho.... things do not work out all that well between the old ball and chain and I. Suffice to say, she ... er ... retired back to the UK in the company of a gentleman friend.

SO, the question I have is:

Given that my greencard was obtained on the back (so to speak) of my wife's L-1 authorised Greencard application, if I choose to divorce the dear, dear lady, will the IRS then come and revoke my greencard?

Answers/advice/commiserations all gratefully received....
I don't want to assume anything. Were you granted permanent resident status with conditions? It makes a difference.

And no, the IRS certainly wouldn't come and take your card away. That's the Internal Revenue Service. The USCIS, however, might have a different opinion.

If you can answer if you're conditional or not, that might make a difference in the answer.

~SecretGarden
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
I don't want to assume anything. Were you granted permanent resident status with conditions? It makes a difference.

And no, the IRS certainly wouldn't come and take your card away. That's the Internal Revenue Service. The USCIS, however, might have a different opinion.

If you can answer if you're conditional or not, that might make a difference in the answer.

~SecretGarden
I get the impression he isnt on a CR as he is/was married to a UK citizen and he got his GC on the back of her GC which she got via work (as did I) so the GC isnt conditional. Its marked with a Cat 34 (Spouse of primary holder) but that makes no odds once you actually have it.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by De Carabas
Hello all...
Looks fine to me. Follow the permanent resident rules to keep it, i.e. don't leave for extended periods, pay your taxes, try not to attack your neighbor with an axe, etc. You can naturalize as a US citizen 5 years from the date it was issued, and bung the app in 90 days before that.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Looks fine to me. Follow the permanent resident rules to keep it, i.e. don't leave for extended periods, pay your taxes, try not to attack your neighbor with an axe, etc. You can naturalize as a US citizen 5 years from the date it was issued, and bung the app in 90 days before that.
If you really wanted to.

PS you are becoming so Americanised...neighbour has a U in it you know.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
If you really wanted to.

Not much reason not to, really.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Not much reason not to, really.
Unless you like to file US taxes for the rest of your life.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:29 pm
Septicity

Unless you like to file US taxes for the rest of your life.
First 80k is free. After that dual taxation agreements cut in. And if you don't want to come back, you needn't anyway. It's just a bit of paperwork, no biggie.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

First 80k is free. After that dual taxation agreements cut in. And if you don't want to come back, you needn't anyway. It's just a bit of paperwork, no biggie.
Yup. Personally though I can see no real reason to file for citizenship. As and when we move on we'll be moving on as it were.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:31 pm
Septicity

Yup. Personally though I can see no real reason to file for citizenship. As and when we move on we'll be moving on as it were.

Actually, there are also tax advantages if you or the missus pop your clogs with assets here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.