Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

depositing a foreign cheque in the US

depositing a foreign cheque in the US

Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

siliconpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default depositing a foreign cheque in the US

Was happy to see I got a tax refund from HMRC in the mail in the form of a cheque, since it would be several months before I made it back to the UK I decided to get it deposited on my US checking account with Chase not realizing what a complete nightmare it is to deal with incoming foreign money.

It seems any amount over $300 needs to go through additional security screening and will only get deposited once they've received the funds. On the receipt I got it mentions 4-6 weeks and possibly longer.

Has anybody dealt with this before and has some information about how long it typically takes?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: depositing a foreign cheque in the US

I only know that trying to deposit a cheque for $150 from Oman nearly caused civilisation as we know it to break down.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

In this day and age when computers can enact millions of stock transactions a second...
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siliconpete
Has anybody dealt with this before and has some information about how long it typically takes?
6 to 8 weeks sounds about right (assuming that it ever happens at all) ...

You do realize that this includes the time necessary for a dispatch rider on horseback to take the check to the nearest port, board a steamship bound for England where he will attempt to exchange the check for gold coin and then get back on a ship to the US ... (at least I think that's the way that the US banking "system" still works)

Seriously, you should just have mailed the check to your bank in the UK so that it could be deposited in your account.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I actually received my refund from HMRC on Thursday also, but had it paid directly to my UK account.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

In my experience 20 - 30 years ago it would take forever to get a UK check deposited and credited to my account.
In the past 10 years or so I have deposited UK checks in to my bank account several times. They were not huge amounts but more than $5000. My bank did not bat an eyelid and even gave me immediate credit to my account based on the current exchange rate. I have been with the bank for some time and there was sufficient in my account to cover the deposit.

Occasionally I will send a US check from my account to family in UK or NZ telling them that their bank will accept it but it might take a while. Usually it shows on my account 3-4 months later.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I did this was a small inheritance check that converted to about $1500. It took at least two months with BB&T.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 10:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

6-8 weeks is about right...plus the fee for doing it being a big chunk.

Would have been easier to mail it to a family member who could just deposit it for you...
Old Sep 28th 2013, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

I received a cheque from the Uk for 600 quid a couple of years back and just paid it into our bank, it took a coupe of weeks for the exchange to be correct but there were no problems.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

BOA claimed it would take weeks but it showed up as cleared funds the next day. They did charge about $40 for it though - much easier to pay it into a UK account and have the funds transferred to your US account via xoom.com or similar.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
..... They did charge about $40 for it though - much easier to pay it into a UK account and have the funds transferred to your US account via xoom.com or similar.
Agreed, I would do just about anything to avoid depositing a foreign check in the US. The bank charges are absurd, the exchange rate is likely to be poor, and the time delay in the check clearing, considerable.

Note: the bank giving you credit for a check is not the same as having cleared funds. If a check bounces the bank can and will take the money back, as many victims of Nigerian fraudsters have discovered when the over-value check they received bounces after they have already wired the over-value amount to Nigeria.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Note: the bank giving you credit for a check is not the same as having cleared funds. If a check bounces the bank can and will take the money back, as many victims of Nigerian fraudsters have discovered when the over-value check they received bounces after they have already wired the over-value amount to Nigeria.
Good point. Although it was from HMRC so I would have been very concerned if it had been returned due to funds not available!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Good point. Although it was from HMRC so I would have been very concerned if it had been returned due to funds not available!
The way things are going these days though....
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever deposited Canadian cheques into account, which technically is foreign, but the bank seems to not care or the rules are different for Canadian vs foreign, but they treat it the same as a US check thus far.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 29th 2013 at 6:51 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Agreed, I would do just about anything to avoid depositing a foreign check in the US. The bank charges are absurd, the exchange rate is likely to be poor, and the time delay in the check clearing, considerable.
I have never had to pay a charge to deposit a foreign check with my bank. Sure they probably make a bit on the exchange rate but it was no different than asking them to convert cash to $ and the exchange rate they gave me was not that much different than the rates published on x-rates.com.

As I said before, I have been with the same bank for a long time and maybe my account type does not charge for foreign deposits.