British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Deported from LAX over Tweet (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/deported-lax-over-tweet-746720/)

gromo007 Jan 30th 2012 1:14 am

Deported from LAX over Tweet

found this quite astonishing!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...tter-joke.html

Jerseygirl Jan 30th 2012 2:01 am

Re: Deported from LAX over Tweet

Originally Posted by gromo007 (Post 9872711)

Why?

HarryTheSpider Jan 30th 2012 2:03 am

A colleague many moons ago once sent a cardboard tube in the post to another pal. On the outside he wrote 'Bomb' and had a wire sticking out one end.

This was in the UK.

He ended up in a fair amount of trouble.

Not quite as much as the couple in the above link...

Security services really can't take any chances on 2 counts - 1 - it could be for real, and 2 - if it was for real and they did nothing, they'd be crucified by the Public.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And it's not exactly gone unnoticed, you'd think, in the UK and other parts of the World that since 9-11, the US has been understandably tetchy about anything remotely like this...

Frankly, I'd rather a few jokers get shut out than 1 terrorist gets let in - US, UK, or anywhere else for that matter...

Lastly - this is the Sun newspaper we're talking about - who knows what facts got distorted, left out, resequenced, spun, respun, and just, well, 'tweaked'...

FlirtyKnickers Jan 30th 2012 2:10 am

Originally Posted by gromo007 (Post 9872711)

I think it's brilliant, slap it up them for being twats...or twits....or whatever a Twitter'er is ...:D

I'm not cool enough to know the lingo...:o

md95065 Jan 30th 2012 2:43 am

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers (Post 9872773)
I'm not cool enough to know the lingo...:o

Apparently neither do the DHS (unless of course there actually is a "Tweeter" website) so I guess they must be cool as well ... :unsure:

gromo007 Jan 30th 2012 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9872766)
Why?

That someone would be stupid enough to write what he did on such a popular website where a simple word search by whichever authorities would bring up such information. As mentioned I also found it funny they referred to it as Tweeter tho

kimilseung Jan 30th 2012 3:55 am

I have no time for the people who make jokes about bombs. The authorities have to take them at their word; but this looks and reads different. If the quote is correct; I read it to mean he was going to have a good time.

"Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America"

I can believe that party was what he meant and that he would not have stopped to think that it could be taken out of context.

Jerseygirl Jan 30th 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by gromo007 (Post 9872864)
That someone would be stupid enough to write what he did on such a popular website where a simple word search by whichever authorities would bring up such information. As mentioned I also found it funny they referred to it as Tweeter tho

Thank you for explaining and I agree.

Craig1987 Jan 30th 2012 4:25 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9872876)
I can believe that party was what he meant and that he would not have stopped to think that it could be taken out of context.

I agree. I've never heard anyone say "destroy" but mean party. It might seem severe, but I agree with the border officials on this one.

sir_eccles Jan 30th 2012 4:43 am

If you think this is funny you should see the secret service when the investigate threats against the president.

materialcontroller Jan 30th 2012 4:46 am

Sorry, but this is overkill. The USA has become truly paranoid and all the time it continually reacts like this the country becomes more and more an object of ridicule.

Craig1987 Jan 30th 2012 5:05 am

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9872915)
Sorry, but this is overkill. The USA has become truly paranoid and all the time it continually reacts like this the country becomes more and more an object of ridicule.

But what if they let these people in and then the two took part in acts of terrorism?

I know it's unlikely, but the phrase "better safe than sorry" applies.

discoviking Jan 30th 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9872915)

There has to be more to this story. Is the Sun considered to be a reliable and balanced source of information in the UK?

Squirrel Jan 30th 2012 12:02 pm

Perhaps you should require an IQ above 10 to be admitted under ESTA? :p

GeoffM Jan 30th 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 9873455)
There has to be more to this story. Is the Sun considered to be a reliable and balanced source of information in the UK?

Um... no.