Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Denver - Cost of living

Denver - Cost of living

Old Apr 8th 2016, 9:26 pm
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,813
kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

Originally Posted by BrownBandit View Post
I knew deductable was the wrong word when I typed that, I just couldnt think of the right one.

From how it has been explained to me (still waiting to sign the official document with the full details), I am fully covered by the company in a given year after a certain amount has been spent by me, so the initial treatment for anything will be out of my pocket, but anything over and above that is completely covered.
There's usually still a premium to pay, though. For example, with hubby's employer our share of the premium (deducted pre-tax via payroll) is $170 a month. For that, we get an insurance policy with a deductible of $2.6k - ie, we pay everything until we've spent that much - and then above that the insurance picks up the tab. Therefore the max we can spend each year is about $3.6k (12 x 170, plus the deductible). In practice, I've never had the insurance kick in - even with my child breaking what's starting to seem like her annual bone, we don't usually get anywhere near the cut off.

Many employers also offer dental and vision insurances, which are separate, and in my experience run to about $30-$40 a month for both, for a family of 4.
kodokan is offline  
Old May 5th 2016, 2:56 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 97
pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

Hi, I had to register a new account as I havent posted in a while and I was registerd with my old work email address.

I don't want to put anyone off of moving here or scare anyone, but I wanted to offer some advice...Denver is one of the fastest growing real estate markets in the US, and rental increases have gone through the roof in the last few years. 76k is by not 'huge' for Denver, and the idea of easily finding a nice apartment for 1000-1200 per month, as some have stated, is pretty optimistic. Centennial is a outside of the central Denver, so I'm sure it'll be a little more affordable, but I'd definitely look into it.

I consulted reddit.com/r/denver quite a lot before I moved, and it was very useful. I moved here about 6 months ago after 8 years in NYC, and I was surprised how expensive it is. You'll be able to do it on $76k, but the person who said that was a huge salary for Denver is maybe a little out of the loop on how much costs have spiraled here in the last few years. Among 'natives' it's one of the main topics of conversation. As I say, I don't want to scare you, but I feel the previous posts have been a little rose tinted.
pejp is offline  
Old May 5th 2016, 9:28 am
  #18  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Denver, CO. Formally Norn Iron, UK
Posts: 16
BrownBandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

Originally Posted by pejp View Post
Hi, I had to register a new account as I havent posted in a while and I was registerd with my old work email address.

I don't want to put anyone off of moving here or scare anyone, but I wanted to offer some advice...Denver is one of the fastest growing real estate markets in the US, and rental increases have gone through the roof in the last few years. 76k is by not 'huge' for Denver, and the idea of easily finding a nice apartment for 1000-1200 per month, as some have stated, is pretty optimistic. Centennial is a outside of the central Denver, so I'm sure it'll be a little more affordable, but I'd definitely look into it.

I consulted reddit.com/r/denver quite a lot before I moved, and it was very useful. I moved here about 6 months ago after 8 years in NYC, and I was surprised how expensive it is. You'll be able to do it on $76k, but the person who said that was a huge salary for Denver is maybe a little out of the loop on how much costs have spiraled here in the last few years. Among 'natives' it's one of the main topics of conversation. As I say, I don't want to scare you, but I feel the previous posts have been a little rose tinted.
Thanks for the reply, I have been doing my research on places to rent and in the area I am looking, 1200-1500 is about average so that is what I have been budgeting on.

Been speaking to some colleagues over there as well as following the same subreddit and they have mentioned much of the above as well and how so many people have been moving to Denver in the last few years. So I hope I am prepared for it now!
BrownBandit is offline  
Old May 5th 2016, 4:15 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 97
pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

Originally Posted by BrownBandit View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have been doing my research on places to rent and in the area I am looking, 1200-1500 is about average so that is what I have been budgeting on.

Been speaking to some colleagues over there as well as following the same subreddit and they have mentioned much of the above as well and how so many people have been moving to Denver in the last few years. So I hope I am prepared for it now!
Where are you moving from? I'm enjoying it so far. Denver itself isn't much to write home about. It's pleasant enough, but not the kind of city worth visiting unless you had a specific reason, but the quality of life is great, and the main thing is being so close to the mountains and outdoors. The weather is amazing as well. Pretty much constant sunshine.
pejp is offline  
Old May 5th 2016, 4:50 pm
  #20  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Denver, CO. Formally Norn Iron, UK
Posts: 16
BrownBandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

Originally Posted by pejp View Post
Where are you moving from? I'm enjoying it so far. Denver itself isn't much to write home about. It's pleasant enough, but not the kind of city worth visiting unless you had a specific reason, but the quality of life is great, and the main thing is being so close to the mountains and outdoors. The weather is amazing as well. Pretty much constant sunshine.
I am moving from Belfast, the weather is one of the main things I am looking forward to, glad to have some sunshine in my life again!
BrownBandit is offline  
Old May 5th 2016, 7:37 pm
  #21  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,707
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

I was down that way on Saturday, snowing.

As others have said the Denver market is hot and I would doubt you could get much worth having for the bottom end of you range.
Boiler is offline  
Old May 6th 2016, 8:55 pm
  #22  
Boomshacalaca!!
 
Tarkak9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: South of the North Pole.......Colorado
Posts: 5,041
Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denver - Cost of living

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I was down that way on Saturday, snowing.

As others have said the Denver market is hot and I would doubt you could get much worth having for the bottom end of you range.
.... pretty much the front range (esp northern) is very hot; its nuts. Yes, supply and demand driven; rents have shot through the roof and inventory is quite tight and competitive, many places are rented through people's spheres. 1200-1500 doesn't get much anymore so be prepared for sticker shock.
Tarkak9 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.