Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Denver bound

Denver bound

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denver bound

Originally Posted by dbj1000
How dare you be so negative and rude about a great American airport?

I know you didn't say it, but it you were thinking it... sarcastically !

Damned immigrants!

I might not know what sarcasm is :scared: I might not even be an immigrant :scared:
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Well I feel very sorry for the original poster, who will come and find this thread six pages long and get all excited about the useful information he anticipates finding here, when all he will find is a lot of bickering.

I too, had hoped this would be constructive, as I am looking to move out to Colorado next year. Bit disappointing. I hope someone will say something worthy!!

To the original poster I would say I have found www.colorado.com the states tourism website to be a useful starting point for finding towns etc and local info. Also have a look at www.colorado.gov where you can find info about schools.

Please lets clean up this thread and stay on topic.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 4:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Being fair to the OP, all the shite that was responded to deleted comments were deleted as well, no point in him having to wade through 7 pages of shite.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 5:01 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Being fair to the OP, all the shite that was responded to deleted comments were deleted as well, no point in him having to wade through 7 pages of shite.
You missed a few.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:41 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Well I feel very sorry for the original poster, who will come and find this thread six pages long and get all excited about the useful information he anticipates finding here, when all he will find is a lot of bickering.

I too, had hoped this would be constructive, as I am looking to move out to Colorado next year. Bit disappointing. I hope someone will say something worthy!!

To the original poster I would say I have found www.colorado.com the states tourism website to be a useful starting point for finding towns etc and local info. Also have a look at www.colorado.gov where you can find info about schools.

Please lets clean up this thread and stay on topic.
I gave some helpful advice which was predictably hijacked. Personally I don't understand the reluctance of English speaking immigrants to go to the source themselves, Americans, especially in the area you are interested in. There is no language barrier and I'm sure many would be glad to provide you, or anyone else, with information. And as I said, you could likely develop some Americans friends long before you ever set foot in the city. Surely that would help someone assimilate into a new culture much more than trying to be safe and comfortable within a group of your former countrymen, many of which, at least in this forum, will just give you a negative and anti-American point of view.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:45 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Couldn't we just pick out the poor OP's original post and start again with a new thread for him?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:37 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
To the original poster why not try and get in touch with Americans from the area? Maybe through an online forum such as this one. A local one maybe. Obviously language is not a barrier and who better than the natives to ask for advice. Who knows, you may even make a few good American friends long before you ever step foot in the city.
All in hand my friend. I was working out there a couple of weeks ago and have since been in contact with some colleagues for advice.

But the advice they can offer is limited. The whole emigrating experience is a new one on me, hence the reason I joined and posted on this forumhere. And who better to ask for advice than those who have been through the process?

Last edited by Schnorbitz; Aug 3rd 2005 at 12:39 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
All in hand my friend. I was working out there a couple of weeks ago and have since been in contact with some colleagues for advice.

But the advice the can offer is limited. The whole emigrating experience is a new one on me, hence the reason I joined and posted on this forumhere. And who better to ask for advice than those who have been through the process?

Yes, yes, but what about the important question. Will you be bringing the bike with you?

Actually, the USA forum is usually fairly sane, you just hit a rough patch. The Lounge is another matter

Glad you weren't put off.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:48 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yes, yes, but what about the important question. Will you be bringing the bike with you?
I certainly hope so. The bike is in the garage today for some new tyres as a buddy and I are going to the Pyrenees for a week at the back end of August. I am just pricing up a new headlight and tail light so I can import it. The bike is fairly unique due the paint job I have recently had done. OK, many people will say sell it and buy a new one - but this one holds a lot of sentimental value to me. So much so even my wife has agreed to let me explore the possbility of exporting it!

Have you done it?
Attached Thumbnails Denver bound-side-.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:53 pm

I certainly hope so. The bike is in the garage today for some new tyres as a buddy and I are going to the Pyrenees for a week at the back end of August. I am just pricing up a new headlight and tail light so I can import it. The bike is fairly unique due the paint job I have recently had done. OK, many people will say sell it and buy a new one - but this one holds a lot of sentimental value to me. So much so even my wife has agreed to let me explore the possbility of exporting it!

Have you done it?
No, sorry, but other people on here know about importing vehicles.

I just like riding around on the back other people's bikes, especially old Triumphs, but that's me
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:28 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

But the advice they can offer is limited. The whole emigrating experience is a new one on me, hence the reason I joined and posted on this forumhere. And who better to ask for advice than those who have been through the process?

What exactly are you trying to learn were asking Americans directly would not provide you the answer you seek. If I remember correctly it appeared you were interested in learning about the city. Is that correct?

Do you know how to ski yet?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:29 pm
Banned

Have you done it?

What is the difference in the lights?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:39 pm
C'mon you Dragons

What exactly are you trying to learn were asking Americans directly would not provide you the answer you seek. If I remember correctly it appeared you were interested in learning about the city. Is that correct?

Do you know how to ski yet?
Perhaps I should've worded my original post better. I am looking for information about Denver, the surrounding area, good places to live, good schools (and how to choose them), and any information that can be offered about emigrating. I have been searching through previous threads and didn't want to get flamed for not using the search facility. I thought that by asking one question other unasked questions would be answered.

As for skiing, I have a skiing holiday booked for February next year in Italy - guess I won't be needing that now!!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:40 pm
C'mon you Dragons

What is the difference in the lights?
The beam on a UK bike goes to the left. In the US and Europe this would be straight into the eyes of the on-coming driver. When you visit Europe from the UK you have to put beam deflectors on your headlights.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:51 pm
Banned

Perhaps I should've worded my original post better. I am looking for information about Denver, the surrounding area, good places to live, good schools (and how to choose them), and any information that can be offered about emigrating. I have been searching through previous threads and didn't want to get flamed for not using the search facility. I thought that by asking one question other unasked questions would be answered.

As for skiing, I have a skiing holiday booked for February next year in Italy - guess I won't be needing that now!!
The emigrating part to America is universal except for state and local regulations and laws that you will have to learn. Good places to live, good schools, and Denver specific questions is best answered by people living there for quite some time which is why I suggested getting to know some helpful Americans, though the ones you mentioned didn't sound to helpful. Keep trying and chuck the unhelpful friends if necessary. Maybe you might get lucky and run into a Brit that has lived there for a long time, more than just a few years, and knows the city well. Good luck.

You have the mountains in your backyard so sking will never be a problem. Have you been there in the winter. Awfully pretty.

Here's one link you'll need for your bike. http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/depar...r-vehicles.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.