British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Denver bound (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/denver-bound-317481/)

Schnorbitz Aug 1st 2005 7:49 pm

Denver bound

Greetings all. I discovered this forum a couple of months agowhen my wife and I were contemplating moving to NZ - until I was offered a relocation with the company I work for to Denver!! Have been trawling through the fourm - it's very useful.

To introduce myself I am 31, born in NZ and moved to the UK when I was 6. I am married and have an 11 year old daughter (I was an early starter :) ). We're all excited about moving to the US - non more so than my daughter.

Any other Coloradians (is that a word?) on the board? If so, let's have some tit-bits of what's good and what's not.

Thanx

ATB

Bob Aug 1st 2005 8:01 pm

Re: Denver bound

Can't help you with denver...but welcome to the site at least, and I noticed you found that other amusing thread already :D

anyway, I think there's a couple people around that are in the neck of the woods, and i'm sure other people will be able to help out :)

britchicknyc Aug 1st 2005 8:23 pm

Welcome!

I have lived in America over three years now and my husband and I are looking to relocate to Colorado next summer. Probably close to but not in Denver.

We hope to visit soonish to have a look around at areas and houses. Housing costs are great out there. and property taxes very reasonable. Especially compared to NY!!

I hope you and I get lots of useful info on this thread!!

anotherlimey Aug 1st 2005 8:26 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately for you, the only parts of Denver I've seen were on Dog The Bounty Hunter (he's from there originally).

Manc Aug 1st 2005 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
If so, let's have some tit-bits of ...........and what's not.

Colorado Avalanche are complete bobbins.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 1st 2005 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately for you, the only parts of Denver I've seen were on Dog The Bounty Hunter (he's from there originally).

He was on the radio yesterday in connection with the Mexican Denver Cop Killer.

Denver is often used to descrive the Metropolitan area, the city area itself is quite small.

Where abouts are you moving to?

Hot and dry, this month all 90+, but it is threatening to rain today, here's hoping.

ScousePete Aug 1st 2005 10:55 pm

Greetings all. I discovered this forum a couple of months agowhen my wife and I were contemplating moving to NZ - until I was offered a relocation with the company I work for to Denver!! Have been trawling through the fourm - it's very useful.

To introduce myself I am 31, born in NZ and moved to the UK when I was 6. I am married and have an 11 year old daughter (I was an early starter :) ). We're all excited about moving to the US - non more so than my daughter.

Any other Coloradians (is that a word?) on the board? If so, let's have some tit-bits of what's good and what's not.

Thanx

ATB

I lived in Denver for 2 years until about 2 weeks ago (now in FL). Is there something specific you want to know?

Schnorbitz Aug 2nd 2005 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where abouts are you moving to?

Our office is in Golden and I am looking to live quite close to the office; perhaps around Morrison or around the Ken Caryl area. I'm open to hearing about nice neighbourhoods and schools for my daugher. She is 11, 12 in Jan 06.

BritGuyTN Aug 2nd 2005 11:29 am

you need to get yourself a Subaru Station Wagon (AKA a Suby-wagen)

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 2nd 2005 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
you need to get yourself a Subaru Station Wagon (AKA a Suby-wagen)

Things have moved on, SVU usage second only to California, or a Truck. Subaru's are still popular, especially if you are looking up in the Mountains.

And they can go around corners.

Handy for Red Rocks but I know little about that housing market.

E470 will be going through Golden, so bear that in mind.

Fig Newton Aug 2nd 2005 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't help you with denver...but welcome to the site at least, and I noticed you found that other amusing thread already :D

That thread must have affected you, and obviously others, in some deep and fundamental way for you to now bring it up in such a manner. Not surprising as it marks a fundamental change from the usual people talking nonsense and calling each other "twats."

Originally Posted by Bob
anyway, I think there's a couple people around that are in the neck of the woods, and i'm sure other people will be able to help out :)

To the original poster why not try and get in touch with Americans from the area? Maybe through an online forum such as this one. A local one maybe. Obviously language is not a barrier and who better than the natives to ask for advice. Who knows, you may even make a few good American friends long before you ever step foot in the city.

Bob Aug 2nd 2005 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
That thread must have affected you, and obviously others, in some deep and fundamental way for you to now bring it up in such a manner. Not surprising as it marks a fundamental change from the usual people talking nonsense and calling each other "twats."

To the original poster why not try and get in touch with Americans from the area? Maybe through an online forum such as this one. A local one maybe. Obviously language is not a barrier and who better than the natives to ask for advice. Who knows, you may even make a few good American friends long before you ever step foot in the city.

It's surprising how many times you say you don't like this place and the people and won't return and do so...but anyway....what do you think the persons trying to do, asking for help and if anyone's in the area?

Fig Newton Aug 2nd 2005 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
It's surprising how many times you say you don't like this place and the people and won't return and do so...but anyway....

Really? I only only said it once. For someone that is obviously reading my words so intently you should have noticed that. Not surrprisngly you, and others here, only see what you want to see. That has been made quite graphically clear since my first post in this forum.

I may just hang around a bit longer. Or do you plan on banning me because I don't call people "twats?"

Originally Posted by Bob
what do you think the persons trying to do, asking for help and if anyone's in the area?

Obviously, but I gave much more useful advice. Advice that will help a person to assimilate much better into a new culture.

ScyLarc Aug 2nd 2005 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Obviously, but I gave much more useful advice. Advice that will help a person to assimilate much better into a new culture.

Don't you think that is a highly presumptuous comment? Who are you to decide what the OP will find more useful?

britchicknyc Aug 3rd 2005 12:26 am

ok, ok everyone. I am v. interested in this thread. And virtually all of it has nothing to do with Denver or Colorado. Please lets just keep it on topic!!