Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dentists & Privacy?

Dentists & Privacy?

Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists & Privacy?

Originally Posted by woodsey
yep, its why I haven't been yet, I hate dentists so much I've been known to almost cry in the waiting room, I'd rather fly than go to the dentist and that's saying something. My childhood dentist was an evil evil man *shudders*
My daughters ortho has an open office with rows of goofy teenagers all getting their teeth done and downstairs is the dentist with huge windows, you can see right up people's noses when you walk past..
I also noticed that where I go for my nails doing there are 2 massage tables in the room where they take you to be waxed and you have to walk through it to go to the loo, won't be going there for a bikini line wax I can tell you..
Glad I'm not the only one ... I've visited several dentists with my family, but I have yet to be examined! Even though I can get free dental treatment here, I'm just going to wait until my next visit to the UK and go back to my dentist there.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not sure what an open plan is. In my 57 years, I have always seen dentists that use separate rooms for each patient. While the door is never closed, believe it should not be as it helps cut down on sexual abuse by the dentist of a patient, I can only be viewed by either other patients enroute to or from another examining room and/or office personnel. Since it is only my mouth that is open, why would I want the privacy of a sealed room?

I don't consider the person doing my pedicure to be a therapist. He/she is a technican. As for wanting to hide my toes from viewing, again I can't see where the need for privacy is an issue. If I am having a pedicure it is because I wish to wear open toed shoes. If I'm willing to bare my toes to strangers on the street, why the need to hide them from other customers?

Also I am not one to gossip with my technican and other than the need to explain what I want done and an exchange concerning the weather, there is nothing that is said that cannot be heard by everyone. My conversion is far less private than those who talk incessantly on cell phones on trains, hallways, elevators, etc. where they oft times discuss their sexual adventures, marital problems and exploits of their bosses.

Why the need for so much privacy? Just curious, is all.
As far as privacy goes, I guess it is simply what most people are used to in the UK ... and anything different to that takes some getting used to!

I used to get the occasional pedicure at my local beauty salon and was always taken to a private room (as every customer was) ... and yes, I got to know the 'technician' so well that we would have a good old natter (sorry, gossip was the wrong word to use in my OP!).

As for open plan ... the dentists I have been to here all have very large openings to each treatment area (rather like an extended archway) ... in the UK I always had a private room with just the dentist and sometimes his assistant ... sexual abuse issues weren't an issue, although I'm sure the UK will quickly catch up on that one and view all dentists as possible sexual predators!

Goodness, it would probably totally freak out the average American to know that my GP would always conduct internal examinations (pap smears) and breast examinations in his surgery without a third party being present.

Oh, and in the UK, we also like total privacy when it comes to public toilets ... I doubt there is any Brit who isn't taken aback when they first see the huge gaps around the doors here, but I guess Americans think nothing of it because that is what they are used to. So maybe it isn't an actual need for privacy, rather than just a case of Brit's being used to having privacy in certain situations.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:23 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

In reply to G Rose's post.

I was told in a store that the toilets have huge gaps around them for the following reasons:
So that nobody can smoke, do drugs or anything sexual.
Also so that kids or people cannot get locked in.
Furthermore nobody can hide by crouching on the toilet seat because they would be seen, there you have the reasoning.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peacelover
In reply to G Rose's post.

I was told in a store that the toilets have huge gaps around them for the following reasons:
So that nobody can smoke, do drugs or anything sexual.
Also so that kids or people cannot get locked in.
Furthermore nobody can hide by crouching on the toilet seat because they would be seen, there you have the reasoning.
And the reasons for why the gaps are there also result in this person doing everything possible not to use a public toilet! When I'm absolutely desperate I will, but if my turn in the queue comes and it's the cubicle right next to where everyone is standing I either leave, or if I'm lucky, offer the available cubicle to the elderly lady behind me.