Dentistry

Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:32 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentistry

So, I've got a lousy toothache, had it since Friday. I've been putting up with it because SWMBO got extra hours at work, which makes us eligible for a group health plan, including $1500 a year of dentistry each.

Thing is, the paperwork said coverage would start December 1st. But we found out today that it won't start til her next paycheck - a couple more weeks.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out some dosh. Anybody got any info about the going rates, or advice on getting it cheap?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:55 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentistry

I work at a pediatric dentist, I'm not sure if rates are different in General Dentists, and I'm sure it will depend on the going rate in your area, but here's a rough guide for what we charge :

Emergency exam - $70
Two surface Filling - $160
Nitrous Oxide (anaesthesia) - $30
Bitewing Xray - $30

It depends on where the cavity is as to what surfaces will need filling. For example if the cavity is on the back or front of one of the teeth that touches another tooth, they will need to also drill into the top, which will make it automatically a 2 surface filling. It would be only if it is the top or one of the sides by your cheek or tongue where they *might* be able to isolate it to a one surface.

If it is raging toothache though, it may be deeper than just a standard filling and you could be looking at a root canal and then a crown, and thats where it starts to add up.

If your insurance is not due to kick in for another couple of weeks, I would try find a dentist that is in-network for that plan, go for the emergency appointment and see what the work is that needs to be done. If you have an absess they won't work on it until its cleared up anyway, so you could be on antibiotics for 7-10 days, and then go back once your insurance is there. Just make sure you check to see if there is a waiting period because I've seen alot of people of the last couple of months getting stung with that - they assume its effective immediately and then when we check it there is a restorative waiting period of anything up to 6 months.

Just one other thing - whereabouts is the pain? I had been getting recurring pain on my upper left, and assumed because I could feel a little hole that I was getting an absess, my boss did a quick check and xrays and it turned out it was my sinuses..... Just a thought

Hope that helps some ....

*btw -I'm not a dentist - I work on the front desk dealling with the insurance etc and i'm starting my dental assistant training in January, but you should go see one sooner rather than later...... *
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Just one other thing - whereabouts is the pain? I had been getting recurring pain on my upper left, and assumed because I could feel a little hole that I was getting an absess, my boss did a quick check and xrays and it turned out it was my sinuses..... Just a thought
Thanks for the info. The thing of getting the emergency stuff done now and the pricier stuff when the plan kicks in is a good one!

The pain started at a premolar next to an extraction site, where there's a receding gumline and I assumed it was exposed dentine. But today it spread to underneath the molar on the other side of the extraction. So I'm not sure if that's something different or just referred pain along the same chunk of nerves.

I figure it's a couple of xrays and an exam just to find out...
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Thanks for the info. The thing of getting the emergency stuff done now and the pricier stuff when the plan kicks in is a good one!

The pain started at a premolar next to an extraction site, where there's a receding gumline and I assumed it was exposed dentine. But today it spread to underneath the molar on the other side of the extraction. So I'm not sure if that's something different or just referred pain along the same chunk of nerves.

I have noticed a few dentists around here offering free exams and X Rays, maybe check out in your area and you could at least find out what the problem is that way.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

its gonna be $1500 whatever it is ....suck it up
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Down my way, discounted rate of insurance or first time customer -

$100 check up
$150 for basic digital x-ray
$100-500 for filling depending on where and type
$150 for cleaning
Free jar of vaseline for anything else.

One thing that might be worth doing if you live in a city be going to a dental school if it is still term time, usually can't book in advance and it's a case of waiting it out, but usually just paying cost of materials, so pretty much free and you have an experienced instructor person watching over you and student would be pretty close to finishing studies before being let loose, well this was up in Portland ME, been told similar down in my neck of the woods.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

So, I've got a lousy toothache, had it since Friday. I've been putting up with it because SWMBO got extra hours at work, which makes us eligible for a group health plan, including $1500 a year of dentistry each.

Thing is, the paperwork said coverage would start December 1st. But we found out today that it won't start til her next paycheck - a couple more weeks.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out some dosh. Anybody got any info about the going rates, or advice on getting it cheap?
Go to a walk in Clinic tell them you have no insurance and pay the fee normally about $35, you might need to call around to find a walk-in.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the dentist if they can hold the claim and date it after your insurance kicks in.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely call around, some dentists will work with you..... I'm sure it won't be free, but if you tell them you're planning on coming back when your insurance kicks in, they may help you out a bit more.

Also, you may need an antibiotic if something is infected....so its pretty important you go soonish.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:33 pm

Thanks everybody - some good advice and info there.

Amazingly, it's not so bad this morning. I'm hoping that this is because I've been making a determined effort not to suck air over the forward tooth (which provided some temporary relief but, I think, chilled the nerve, causing the referred pain in the rear tooth).

I'll call around to find an in-network dentist and see what my options are, but will try to hold off going in until our coverage starts - unless it flares up again.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Amazingly, it's not so bad this morning. I'm hoping that this is because I've been making a determined effort not to suck air over the forward tooth (which provided some temporary relief but, I think, chilled the nerve, causing the referred pain in the rear tooth).

I'll call around to find an in-network dentist and see what my options are, but will try to hold off going in until our coverage starts - unless it flares up again.
Theres always the last resort

Or a piece of string tied to the door knob, attached at the other end to the toothie then WHAM!!..problem eliminated
Attached Thumbnails Dentistry-pliers-1.jpg  
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Theres always the last resort

Or a piece of string tied to the door knob, attached at the other end to the toothie then WHAM!!..problem eliminated
Nah, as any fule kno, the proper way is to tie one end of the string to Ollie's tooth and the other to the bumper of car, which Stanley attempts to drive away but accidentally puts in reverse. Hilarity ensues...
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest string and a football.......same result.

And much cheepness.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For what it costs for a filling I'd just go and get it sorted out....I can't stand pain. If it requires more costly work maybe you can sort something out with the dentist regarding the insurance claim.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:25 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Bob about going to a dental school if there is one nearby. I go to NYU dental in NYC. The students have to be in at least their third year of school and are supervised by the dentists who teach there. I got both a cleaning and a full set of bitewing xrays just a few weeks ago for $85.00. I had a filling done for $75.00. It was a 3 surface filling. I ahd a crown and rootcanal for $900. You can go in for an emergency for $90. I am assigned to a student and that is my student for their duration of their schooling. I have been using them for 7 years. I can book in advance as well. Since this is in NYC it is probably cheaper in your neck of the woods. You want to get it taken care of in case it's an infection as well. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.