British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dentist wanting to move from UK to FL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dentist-wanting-move-uk-fl-772894/)

BringMeThatHorizon Sep 26th 2012 8:10 pm

Dentist wanting to move from UK to FL

Hiyaa,
Hope everyone's doing well! I'm happy I finally found a place to talk to other brits who have moved/potentially moving to the US.

I'm thinking of moving to Florida for a year..it's something I've really wanted to do since I finished school but obviously without working, I know the chances of getting a visa to do that were extremely slim. I thought maybe it was just a phase when I was a teenager, however now, years on, I still want to do it! I dunno...I just want a year out to meet new people, get to practice dentistry somewhere different, and get some experience not just in dentistry, but just life experience. I've been to Florida several times on holiday and I just absolutely love it!

If I were to proceed with this plan, I would apply for the Special Skills visa obviously, I've read up about it. I am just interested in knowing what sort of job opportunities there are for dentists in Florida? Is it a profession that's in demand? And how long will it take me to complete all the examinations they want? I've been trying to find info for british dentists looking to moving to the US but there is sooo little information regarding what I have to do to get my British degree recognised! All I know so far is I must take the NDEB Part I exam..has anyone been through this process? As much as I'd like to work in FL for a year, I wouldn't be prepared to spend more than 2-3years in prepartion for it tbh (like sitting exams etc). If it's a long tedious process, I would pass on it. However, I'm young and single and got nothing to lose and wouldn't mind trying it! hence why I'm exploring the possibility now rather than in 10years time.

Please no "never gonna happen" or "keep dreaming" or "do ur research" replies! This is the start of my research, I am doing it. I have a great degree, and I have my money so I know that it's possible, I'm just asking for some advice from any dentists or any brits in america in the healthcare profession!

Thanks guys :)
x

Mr Weeze Sep 26th 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Dentist wanting to move from UK to FL

Originally Posted by BringMeThatHorizon (Post 10301654)
Please no "never gonna happen" or "keep dreaming" or "do ur research" replies!

This may not be the forum for you...

I am not the most knowledgable on the visas, but any bit of research you plan to continue doing should include this guide to visas: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you believe you fit into one of those visa categories (maybe Disney will sponsor you to work on site?), then you will find a lot of useful resources on this site. If you don't fit into one of those categories, you can continue to enjoy visiting the USA for holidays.

BringMeThatHorizon Sep 26th 2012 8:31 pm

I do fit into one of the categories..The Disney thing is quite a nice idea to be honest. I never thought about that before. Sounds quite appealing and something I'll look into seriously, thanks Mr Weeze :)

Jerseygirl Sep 26th 2012 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BringMeThatHorizon (Post 10301687)
I do fit into one of the categories..The Disney thing is quite a nice idea to be honest. I never thought about that before. Sounds quite appealing and something I'll look into seriously, thanks Mr Weeze :)

Welcome to BE.

You have to keep in mind that the US is a very difficult country for Brits to move to. What category do you think you fit into? Then ask yourself...why would a dentist practice spending thousands of dollars on a visa for a dentist who is not qualified to work here? I don't think there is a shortage of dentists in the US.

You can come and spend up to 90 days on vacation.

Good luck.

Edit: Here is a thread that may be of interest.

BringMeThatHorizon Sep 26th 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10301694)
Welcome to BE.

You have to keep in mind that the US is a very difficult country for Brits to move to. What category do you think you fit into? Then ask yourself...why would a dentist practice spending thousands of dollars on a visa for a dentist who is not qualified to work here? I don't think there is a shortage of dentists in the US.

You can come and spend up to 90 days on vacation.

Good luck.

Edit: Here is a thread that may be of interest.

Hey, thanks for replying. I feel I fit into the skills visa category. I think when people think of dentists in the US they automatically think of all those places that are overpopulated with dentists for example LA or NYC. There are quite a lot of smaller quieter areas that I think lack dentists. Obviously I'm not from America so I cannot say this for definite hence why I'm asking on here what you guys think! :)
Nope - you can't join any practice without taking the exams first anyway?! After I take the tests (I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to do them so anyone who has any info about it please post!), I would be just as qualified as any other American dentist, and can apply to anywhere in the US.

RICH Sep 26th 2012 9:05 pm

Just out of interest I googled my dentist, and was surprised. I found this link indicating they have been known to apply for H1B visa for foreigners. I don't know how to interpret this info, but interesting anyway. Its a smallish practice, with 2 surgeries.

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Spons...193_Review.htm

christmasoompa Sep 26th 2012 9:07 pm

If I were to proceed with this plan, I would apply for the Special Skills visa obviously, I've read up about it.

Out of interest, which visa is the 'special skills visa'?

Jerseygirl Sep 26th 2012 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by BringMeThatHorizon (Post 10301701)
Hey, thanks for replying. I feel I fit into the skills visa category. I think when people think of dentists in the US they automatically think of all those places that are overpopulated with dentists for example LA or NYC. There are quite a lot of smaller quieter areas that I think lack dentists. Obviously I'm not from America so I cannot say this for definite hence why I'm asking on here what you guys think! :)
Nope - you can't join any practice without taking the exams first anyway?! After I take the tests (I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to do them so anyone who has any info about it please post!), I would be just as qualified as any other American dentist, and can apply to anywhere in the US.

Just because a person may be qualified in one state...doesn't mean they are qualified to work in another. Think of each state as a different country...it's own laws, rules and regs for just about everything you can think of.

Nutmegger Sep 26th 2012 9:39 pm

I would be just as qualified as any other American dentist, and can apply to anywhere in the US.

However, unlike a US-born and qualified dentist, you would need to be sponsored for a visa in order to come to the US to work. That costs a lot of money, so puts you at a disadvantage vis a vis the home-grown product. Also, you say that you only want to come for a year, so it would certainly not be worth anyone's while to sponsor you for a visa.

AZ_Alba Sep 26th 2012 10:06 pm

You may want to see if you could do a post graduate dental studies, otherwise you are probably be out of luck on the dental side.

sunnysideup Sep 26th 2012 10:32 pm

I've been to Florida several times on holiday and I just absolutely love it!
x

that kind of statement is usually construed on this forum as a windup, so be careful.

I will be civil - the Florida of vacations and the Florida of day to day living - especially for self-employed professionals in healthcare - are two very very different things.

On dentistry, here's a surprising thing: My dentist charges less for crowns and root canals (cash price) than my friends in the UK get charged. Not what you might imagine given the US reputation for expensive healthcare. So don't expect to get rich in Florida (unless your practice is in West Palm Beach or environs).

BringMeThatHorizon Sep 26th 2012 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysideup (Post 10301855)
that kind of statement is usually construed on this forum as a windup, so be careful.

I will be civil - the Florida of vacations and the Florida of day to day living - especially for self-employed professionals in healthcare - are two very very different things.

On dentistry, here's a surprising thing: My dentist charges less for crowns and root canals (cash price) than my friends in the UK get charged. Not what you might imagine given the US reputation for expensive healthcare. So don't expect to get rich in Florida (unless your practice is in West Palm Beach or environs).

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Much appreciated!
I'm really not looking to 'get rich'. Money is not my reason for coming. I really don't need the money, my salary is great. I just wanted to go away for a year to have some time to think and time to myself before I 'grow up' and start thinking about marriage. I've had a lot of personal issues that I have never really taken time out to reflect on and deal with. I know it sounds very cliche but I really just need some time to myself and I thought that I can't just go away and do nothing so I wanted to try working..if that doesn't work out, I may just come on a tourist visa and spend 3months and then travel elsewhere like Singapore and morocco, 2 places I'd love to go to as well..it just seems too short spending just 3months in florida, I wanted to go there for longer. I don't know what's the best option for me right now, so I'm trying to do some research.
Thanks again to everyone for helping

kimilseung Sep 26th 2012 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by BringMeThatHorizon (Post 10301899)
....I thought that I can't just go away and do nothing so I wanted to try working..

Why ever not? But do not equate paid employment as the only way to avoid doing nothing. Traveling is usually far from doing nothing. Very rewarding, involving and very active.

sunnysideup Sep 26th 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by BringMeThatHorizon (Post 10301899)
I may just come on a tourist visa and spend 3months

you can stay 6 months if you get a B2 visa.

Jerseygirl Sep 26th 2012 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysideup (Post 10301919)
you can stay 6 months if you get a B2 visa.

Not a very good suggestion. He will likely be refused...then he will be refused ESTA and probably will not be able to travel to the US for approx 6 months. He will also have to declare that he's had a visa refusal every time he wishes to travel to the US.