Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dentist Question...

Dentist Question...

Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of
Default Dentist Question...

Had my first trip to the dentist this morning... I hadn't been in five years back in England...

Apparently I need two bridges (or slightly more expensive implants) that, at the cheapest, will cost $,6000

I was wondering if I could I could get it done privately in England next year when I visit... I'm still a british citizen and will be when I visit, but not sure on the rules...

I'm guessing I would be ruled out of NHS treatment??
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentist Question...

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
Had my first trip to the dentist this morning... I hadn't been in five years back in England...

Apparently I need two bridges (or slightly more expensive implants) that, at the cheapest, will cost $,6000

I was wondering if I could I could get it done privately in England next year when I visit... I'm still a british citizen and will be when I visit, but not sure on the rules...

I'm guessing I would be ruled out of NHS treatment??
Use the search function to search this forum for old threads about dentists.

You will not be entitled to NHS treatment and you probably won't find it cheaper in the UK if you use a private dentist. Also crowns, bridges and implants are not done in one day....usually takes several weeks or in the case of an implant...several months.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

Aah, dammit, was worth a try...

feel sick at the cost
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
Aah, dammit, was worth a try...

feel sick at the cost
Get a 2nd opinion.
We're going through a bit of this right now. If you have more time than money, and live near one, dental colleges can be a good place to go.
It was discussed here recently and consensus was that the private costs in the UK are similar to the US. There is however, medical tourism to consider (we are).

DH was told about the bridge vs implant: Expect to replace the bridge every 10-15 years. At his age, it comes out a close break-even (two bridges cost = one implant). IOW, either pay upfront for the permanent solution or pay over the years.

But all things considered, even with a new exam cost, get another opinion.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Yeah you can try dental schools or go to Mexico.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Get a 2nd opinion.
We're going through a bit of this right now. If you have more time than money, and live near one, dental colleges can be a good place to go.
It was discussed here recently and consensus was that the private costs in the UK are similar to the US. There is however, medical tourism to consider (we are).

DH was told about the bridge vs implant: Expect to replace the bridge every 10-15 years. At his age, it comes out a close break-even (two bridges cost = one implant). IOW, either pay upfront for the permanent solution or pay over the years.

That's one of the reasons I suggested the OP look at the past threads. Another reason being that many people have said when they first go to a US dentist...crowns, deep root cleaning etc are recommended. Many dentists are really being hit in their pocket books at the moment...so they're after all the work they can get.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 6th 2010 at 5:00 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's a similar thread in the Canada forum.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's one of the reasons I suggested the OP look at the past threads. Another reason being that many people have said when they first go to a US dentist...crowns, deep root cleaning etc are recommended. Many dentists are really being hit in their pocket books at the moment...so they're after all the work they can get.
We've been to the school for the deep cleanings. Dentist's estimate: $1000 each person. School: Free + they are so grateful. Every visit we get examined and worked on by a student, licensed hygienist and a dentist. The appointments do sometimes take longer than going to the office, but we've got nuthin' but time.
I agree with your final conclusion, but I've been thrilled with what we have learned and we've both turned a corner on the deep cleaning thing, even got a sonic toothbrush.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

True. My dentist asked me to have all three fillings replaced when I went to do just one, a small piece of which chipped off. And I was also asked to do cleaning every three months, not every six months. It seemed they were just trying to max out my dental insurance.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We've been to the school for the deep cleanings. Dentist's estimate: $1000 each person. School: Free + they are so grateful. Every visit we get examined and worked on by a student, licensed hygienist and a dentist. The appointments do sometimes take longer than going to the office, but we've got nuthin' but time.
I agree with your final conclusion, but I've been thrilled with what we have learned and we've both turned a corner on the deep cleaning thing, even got a sonic toothbrush.
My dentist is great...a year ago he tried to talk me into having a wisdom tooth extracted...telling me it would cost a lot less than a crown. He also talked me out of getting my teeth whitened which would have cost around $700. I finally got round to getting the crown a couple of months ago...he said business his down.

My husband sees 3 different types of dentists...each have said their businesses are suffering. Lots of major company layoffs in this area...so the people loose their dental insurance and can't afford to pay for the treatment themselves.

Love sonic toothbrushes...don't like the ones with the circular head that spins round (Oral B?)...ours are Phillips Sonicare.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by cityhog
True. My dentist asked me to have all three fillings replaced when I went to do just one, a small piece of which chipped off. And I was also asked to do cleaning every three months, not every six months. It seemed they were just trying to max out my dental insurance.
Well, I do know that fillings don't last forever, and you can get further decay underneath fillings you already have.
About the cleanings, I used to think it was a scam too (re insurance) but what I've learned over the past month has changed my mind. I swear, it's like I've got religion, I'm all on board for the 4X cleanings I am going to need, which can repair some of the periodontal damage I've already got.
And, free is a very good price.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My dentist is great...a year ago he tried to talk me into having a wisdom tooth extracted...telling me it would cost a lot less than a crown. He also talked me out of getting my teeth whitened which would have cost around $700. I finally got round to getting the crown a couple of months ago...he said business his down.

My husband sees 3 different types of dentists...each have said their businesses are suffering. Lots of major company layoffs in this area...so the people loose their dental insurance and can't afford to pay for the treatment themselves.

Love sonic toothbrushes...don't like the ones with the circular head that spins round (Oral B?)...ours are Phillips Sonicare.
I remember that with the whitening (I get my trays cast next week, woot!). You do have to pass a dentist's inspection to make sure you're a good candidate for that. Did anyone talk to you about using a fluoride rinse? I thought that was bunkum too, but I'll give it a shot for the next few months and see if there's any change. We had it in the water where I grew up, but don't here in Portland. (see water thread, LOL)

edit, yeah, that's the brush we got too. Two of, I mean. Heart me some Costco!

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 6th 2010 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually sounds about right for two bridges. I'm having three teeth capped on Monday without dental coverage for $1,800.

Get a 2nd opinion.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 6th 2010 at 6:35 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IOW, either pay upfront for the permanent solution or pay over the years.

Implants are not always a permanent solution. My BIL had several implants the last few years only to have them break or loosen or twist in the gum socket and had to have them replaced. And yes, there was an additional cost involved to him.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 6th 2010 at 6:36 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well, I do know that fillings don't last forever, and you can get further decay underneath fillings you already have.
About the cleanings, I used to think it was a scam too (re insurance) but what I've learned over the past month has changed my mind. I swear, it's like I've got religion, I'm all on board for the 4X cleanings I am going to need, which can repair some of the periodontal damage I've already got.
And, free is a very good price.

I remember that with the whitening (I get my trays cast next week, woot!). You do have to pass a dentist's inspection to make sure you're a good candidate for that. Did anyone talk to you about using a fluoride rinse? I thought that was bunkum too, but I'll give it a shot for the next few months and see if there's any change. We had it in the water where I grew up, but don't here in Portland. (see water thread, LOL)

The dentist said I'd be wasting my money having teeth whitening done...said my teeth are already white and that I wouldn't see a difference. Nope nothing mentioned about a fluoride rinse.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Implants are not always a permanent solution. My BIL had several implants the last few years only to have them break or loosen or twist in the gum socket and had to have them replaced. And yes, there was an additional cost involved to him.
Oh great.. my dad just blew my inheritance on a bunch of them! They'd better last him...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.