Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental Nurse moving to the US

Dental Nurse moving to the US

Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Van_bags is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Dental Nurse moving to the US

I'm currently looking into moving to America. I work as an Orthodontic Dental Nurse over here in the UK and currently looking for the same position around the New Jersey area!
I have a Brother who has lived in the US for 10+ years so my accommodation is pretty much sorted!! I just want a starting point really, I'm planning a holiday trip over there in November, is it worth looking for jobs whiles I'm Over there?

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Nurse moving to the US

Originally Posted by Van_bags
I'm currently looking into moving to America. I work as an Orthodontic Dental Nurse over here in the UK and currently looking for the same position around the New Jersey area!
I have a Brother who has lived in the US for 10+ years so my accommodation is pretty much sorted!! I just want a starting point really, I'm planning a holiday trip over there in November, is it worth looking for jobs whiles I'm Over there?

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Given how the US is pretty much impossible for most to get a visa for, the first question on everybody's lips (fingers?!) will be do you already have a visa or are you a USC?

Hopefully once that's out the way, people can advise on job hunting etc!

Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

No visa as of yet as heard and read you have to have a job offer first?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Bit more complicated than that! Not only a job offer, but a job offer from an employer prepared to spend $5k+ on getting you over, plus you must have a degree (or the equivalent 12 years progressive experience), the job must need a degree (not sure about dental nurses, but don't think they do), and assuming you'd go on a H1B visa you'd also need an employer prepared to wait until October for you to start work, if you're lucky enough to get a visa in the lottery.

So just a job offer isn't enough I'm afraid! This page may be useful to give you an idea of the visas available - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Is your brother a USC? If so, the good news is that he could petition for a visa for you. The bad news is that they're currently processing sibling applications from October 2001, so based on those processing times you've got a 12.5 year wait.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_6228.html

Hopefully the US visa pros will be along shortly to tell you if you've got a shot or not, I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Christmassoopma pretty much nailed it, unless you have another way to live and work in the US (marriage, your brother sponsoring you etc) you will not get to do so based on a work visa as a dental nurse.

Last edited by civilservant; Jan 8th 2014 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. As Christmasoompa has already posted the difficult part is getting a visa...and I'm afraid a visa for a dental nurse isn't likely. Take a look at the info in the link Christmasoompa posted...if you tick any if the boxes you may be in with a chance. Good luck

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 8th 2014 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Appreciate your help and advice guys!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate your help and advice guys!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You could make it a long term goal...and start the ball moving on sponsorship by your brother...if he is an US citizen.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're single, have you considered on-line dating?

Yes, it can work, and no, I'm not joking!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:24 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is your brother a USC? If so, the good news is that he could petition for a visa for you. The bad news is that they're currently processing sibling applications from October 2001, so based on those processing times you've got a 12.5 year wait.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_6228.html
It doesn't mean that, as it says in the visa bulletin, the priority date has no bearing on how long you may be waiting for a visa. You don't take today's date and minus off the date they're currently on. If you look at the archived bulletins you will see that in the past two years the priority date has only moved forward for fourth preference by a year, so if he filed an I-130 today she would be waiting approximately 25 years, assuming they keep going at the same rate (which they probably won't, it keeps getting slower, the CRS published a graph for visa demand that made it look as though the wait would be around 40 years).

USCIS doesn't even bother to process the I-130s anymore for new filings, they just put them in a pile. Basically they assume you or the petitioner will be dead by the time a visa number comes up and they're too busy with I-821Ds.

It's still worth doing though because there's bound to be some sort of immigration reform in the next 25 years that might benefit the OP. The current bill would require them all to be done in seven years.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
..... The current bill would require them all to be done in seven years.
And the chances of the current bill becoming law is as close to zero as makes no difference.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're single, have you considered on-line dating?

Yes, it can work, and no, I'm not joking!
Or actual dating. Brother's friends etc.

Last edited by RICH; Jan 9th 2014 at 2:16 am. Reason: Two many apostrophe's -Hi SOS:)
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:10 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Dental Nurse moving to the US

British dental workers are not trusted by most Americans.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Steve_
It doesn't mean that, as it says in the visa bulletin, the priority date has no bearing on how long you may be waiting for a visa. You don't take today's date and minus off the date they're currently on.
I realise that, that's why I quite specifically said 'based on current processing times' and linked the visa bulletin, it was just to give the OP an idea of how long ago the people waiting now filed. I've seen Mr Fs line at the cinema analogy enough times on here!

Still, as you say, it's an option, and potentially her only one ( if he's a USC of course), so worth doing anyway, just to reserve a space I'm the queue.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:32 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
British dental workers are not trusted by most Americans.
That's been my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.