Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Old Jun 20th 2021, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
These days there is no 'previous medical history' taken into account when you apply for a health insurance plan. That's one of the great aspects of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
You can't compare health insurance with, say car insurance. There is no legal requirement for you to have health insurance (even the small penalty for not having health insurance has been removed). Millions don't have it (they don't want it), millions don't have it (they can't afford it).
There's no risk of not reporting medical treatment and then it coming to light further down the line.....
Another point is that you are most unlikely to go the cash route for the majority of medical issues. You are paying a fortune in monthly premiums, deductibles and out of pocket expenses, why would you opt to pay out additional thousands to pay cash?
Dental insurance is different - it's capped at $1,500 (maybe $2,000 if you are lucky) and if you get a discount to pay cash then sometimes it pays to do so as in the example given above.
Thank you both,

I must admit, i didn't see any questions about pre existing conditions when i've been scouting the market, i found this bizarre. I had PPP in the UK and they want to know the last time you sneezed!!
But surely if someone has had a series or strokes (for example) and their risk of hospitalisation/treatment is high, this is reflected in the premium......surely?
Even the pet insurance we're looking at wants to see prior history.

Mic

Old Jun 20th 2021, 6:31 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
Thank you both,

I must admit, i didn't see any questions about pre existing conditions when i've been scouting the market, i found this bizarre. I had PPP in the UK and they want to know the last time you sneezed!!
But surely if someone has had a series or strokes (for example) and their risk of hospitalisation/treatment is high, this is reflected in the premium......surely?
Even the pet insurance we're looking at wants to see prior history.

Mic
that’s why the ACA is important:

https://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about...ons/index.html
Old Jun 20th 2021, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Yes, you are so right. What on earth would happen if this was ever revoked??
Old Jun 20th 2021, 8:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are so right. What on earth would happen if this was ever revoked??

Presumably we would go back to where we were before, where people could not get certain conditions covered and it bankrupted them.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Presumably we would go back to where we were before, where people could not get certain conditions covered and it bankrupted them.
The thought is incomprehensible.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to America .......
Old Jun 20th 2021, 10:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but sadly true. I know someone it happened to. They let him keep his car....
Old Jun 21st 2021, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, i've got much more of an idea as to how it works now.
I have truly appreciated all your input.
Mic

Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful to ensure Orthodontics is included in any Dental Plan, some do not and only cover general dentistry work.
Also, look for Dental Discount Plans - essentially you pay an annual fee and get a discount card that a small % of dentists will honour, which can then knock 40-50% off of the cost. You have to know precisely who takes it before buying it though!
My daughter has been quoted just under $6k for full braces and having a couple of teeth removed. Our Dental Plan through Kaiser (employer plan) won't cover it, so it will all be out of pocket for us but the Practice has at least offered a monthly payment plan with zero interest. Oddly, she had all four wisdom teeth removed a few months back and a bizarre insurance quirk meant we pretty much got the entire cost covered by claiming on HealthCare and Dental.