Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental Fun & Games

Dental Fun & Games

Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Fun & Games

Originally Posted by TruBrit
most certainly...yep, i know some folks that have done just that.

And 'interview' the dentist. After all you are considering employing him.

Medicine and dentistry in the US are businesses, pure and simple. Their remit isn't to 'help you. If you approach them with the appropriate attitude, you'll more likely to get what you want/need and less likely to be taken to the cleaners.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
And 'interview' the dentist. After all you are considering employing him.

Medicine and dentistry in the US are businesses, pure and simple. Their remit isn't to 'help you. If you approach them with the appropriate attitude, you'll more likely to get what you want/need and less likely to be taken to the cleaners.

exactly and the same goes with doctors of medicine, lawyers etc etc... you are employing them and want to check out their credentials if you see what i mean
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

newbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll get on the case
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbieloubie
Thanks for the advice guys - I'll get on the case
Good luck with it! Nothing worse than getting a big dental bill for something you didn't really need - been there and done that recently!

Found a decent dentist now and once hubby's insurance kicks in November, they will pay 100% of all cleaning and 50% of any major work, but to a max of $1500 per year, which sucks, as I need a bridge and root canal on 3 teeth and total cost 5 grand!!!

One suggestion may be to have a look at www.careington.com I have this for 12 bucks a month. You get a really great discount if you use their recommended dentist. What this guy is doing for me is submitting the regular office price to the insurance company, and getting the 50% and then giving me the discount too for my "secondary" plan
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

This all sounds very familiar to me....

went to dentist here about 18months ago.. this time a recommended place.

he said I needed a deep clean, covered 80% by my insurance, the other 20% was $100.

After he'd done his thing they brought out the bill, $560, that was my part.

turns out the "magic mouthwash" he'd used was NOT covered by my insurance and came in @ $100 per application, 1 application for each side for top and bottom.

so what I needed was a filling, what I got was a lesson in how dentists work to screw you over.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
This all sounds very familiar to me....

went to dentist here about 18months ago.. this time a recommended place.

he said I needed a deep clean, covered 80% by my insurance, the other 20% was $100.

After he'd done his thing they brought out the bill, $560, that was my part.

turns out the "magic mouthwash" he'd used was NOT covered by my insurance and came in @ $100 per application, 1 application for each side for top and bottom.

so what I needed was a filling, what I got was a lesson in how dentists work to screw you over.

... which sorry tale :scared: illustrates the importance of having a clearly laid out and fully costed treatment plan...
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - it sounds like a deep clean (as it was below the gum line). My neighbour is a dental nurse so I'll ask her about it.

Wish I'd asked her advice before - but you live and learn I guess
Me finks they Deep cleaned his pockets, at the same time.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:10 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - it sounds like a deep clean (as it was below the gum line).
Was it a Full Mouth Debridement? Scaling & Root Planing? Any of this sound familiar?

Last edited by Partystar; Oct 7th 2006 at 12:13 am.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:35 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

I used American Dental. But i wont be any more. I need more work doing but they operate this open plan treatment room where (just like Aspen) you see and hear everything else going on, plus I just love the way when you arrive on time for an appointment they keep you waiting and finally drag you in. Then you get someone else doing most of the prework and finally the dentist (who all this time has been sat in the front office texting away on her mobile like nobodies business) wanders on in and finally does something

flippin useless

I'd take an NHS dentist anyday :scared:
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

newbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Was it a Full Mouth Debridement? Scaling & Root Planing? Any of this sound familiar?
Scaling and root planing definitely sounds familiar.

It sounded awful when they were doing it as well!

I've looked at the bill more closely and called my insurance co - the bill was $800 all together, and included x-rays, an examination, 2 quadrants of deep cleaning plus anasthetic and magic mouthwash.

The insurance picked up just over $500 of it - so me paying $270 doesn't feel so bad!

I'm still going to look for somewhere else though - the facilities were horrible.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul S
I used American Dental. But i wont be any more. I need more work doing but they operate this open plan treatment room where (just like Aspen) you see and hear everything else going on, plus I just love the way when you arrive on time for an appointment they keep you waiting and finally drag you in. Then you get someone else doing most of the prework and finally the dentist (who all this time has been sat in the front office texting away on her mobile like nobodies business) wanders on in and finally does something

flippin useless

I'd take an NHS dentist anyday :scared:
My experience was really similar - I HATED the open plan layout. I am a complete wuss at the dentist - so everyone else gets to hear me blubbing when I have an injection (v. v. v. bad experiences as a child!).

My appointment was 8.30 but it was easily 9.15 by the time I actually saw the dentist proper. Someone else did the X-rays - then I sat in the chair waiting for ages (listening to the dental treatment in the chairs around me!).

Cannot believe I miss my old NHS dentist - at least the rooms were separate!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:34 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

My experience was really similar - I HATED the open plan layout. I am a complete wuss at the dentist - so everyone else gets to hear me blubbing when I have an injection (v. v. v. bad experiences as a child!).

My appointment was 8.30 but it was easily 9.15 by the time I actually saw the dentist proper. Someone else did the X-rays - then I sat in the chair waiting for ages (listening to the dental treatment in the chairs around me!).

Cannot believe I miss my old NHS dentist - at least the rooms were separate!
The orthodontist my children go to has an open plan lay out which I find a bit odd.
We have just been to the dentist and have been very, very lucky. I had a wisdom tooth infection and I picked the nearest dentist to me from our insurance co. website.
She looked at the sore tooth and gum and gave antibiotics, apart from the medication, I didn't pay anything. We have all had checkups, cleaning and xrays since then at no cost to us.
I have to have 3 fillings redone and the cost to me, with the deductible, will be $85 total and two of them are big fillings. And they will be white which I am so pleased about.
Her surgery is lovely and so are all her staff. We cannot believe how lucky we are to find her!
Our insurance is with Guardian, btw.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:44 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Scaling and root planing definitely sounds familiar.

It sounded awful when they were doing it as well!

I've looked at the bill more closely and called my insurance co - the bill was $800 all together, and included x-rays, an examination, 2 quadrants of deep cleaning plus anasthetic and magic mouthwash.

The insurance picked up just over $500 of it - so me paying $270 doesn't feel so bad!

I'm still going to look for somewhere else though - the facilities were horrible.
That'll be it then, you had 2 quads done for the Scaling & Root Planing, most people can't stand to have all 4 done on the same day, as it's not the nicest thing in the world. Usually the preventative treatment (xrays, cleanings, exams) is covered 100% by your insurance, then Perio (Scaling & Root Planing) is covered at a percentage, which is usually around 80% (or around 50% if they put perio under Major services) & usually with a deductible. Most insurance companies don't make you pay the deductible on preventative treatment.

I bet you insurance doesn't cover the anaesthetic, then you paid a percentage of the 2 quads of SRP, the deductible (norm is $50, but some don't have one or it can be as high as $100) & of course, the magical mouthwash! Sound about right?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Partystar
That'll be it then, you had 2 quads done for the Scaling & Root Planing, most people can't stand to have all 4 done on the same day, as it's not the nicest thing in the world. Usually the preventative treatment (xrays, cleanings, exams) is covered 100% by your insurance, then Perio (Scaling & Root Planing) is covered at a percentage, which is usually around 80% (or around 50% if they put perio under Major services) & usually with a deductible. Most insurance companies don't make you pay the deductible on preventative treatment.

I bet you insurance doesn't cover the anaesthetic, then you paid a percentage of the 2 quads of SRP, the deductible (norm is $50, but some don't have one or it can be as high as $100) & of course, the magical mouthwash! Sound about right?
Yep - it does. Having consulted the bill more closely - there was a lot of stuff on there.

I don't feel so much like I was ripped off - but I still want a new dentist!!

Do you know if I am able to go and ask for my X-rays to take elsewhere? I did pay for them after all!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:03 pm
Guest21

You might as well take a trip home it would be cheaper to do that

I had cosmetic dentistry done last year and paid $4,500 for 4 teeth that was with no insurance (does not cover cosmetic normally)
The scalling and cleaning was $130 before they would start the procedure which by US rates I thought was cheap the dentist was fantastic the only problem was there was a water fall attached to the wall in front of the chair and you wanted to pee all the time lmao

www.symphonyofsmiles.com

Last edited by whiskers; Oct 8th 2006 at 8:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.